Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Star Trek Discovery Episode 15 SPOILER Thread. Spoilers! You were warned.

Just a couple comments for the season finale:

First and foremost, a HUGE credit for the TOS closing theme after seeing the Enterprise! Amazing, awesome, got a lump of nostalgia caught in my throat.

As for Enterprise – looks perfect for the era - WAY better than JJ's ships. DB, are you listening? ;)
Spock should be an Ensign or Lieutenant aboard the Enterprise right now, I am curious to see if they introduce such an iconic character to this show, even in passing.

For the story, I am happy they found a non-time travel method for resolution. This does pose a slight dilemma of having yet another timeline unfold differently from Prime Universe (TOS/TNG, etc) lore. I will be anxious to see if they ignore it completely, or find a way to explain it.

Tyler leaving is best, but he is a good character, hopefully we will see him again. Tilly was freaking awesome in this episode. The Burnham arc is complete, and I think pretty well done. Still plenty of drama – gotta go catch Phillipa when something goes awry there, and you KNOW it will!

Now we can relax for a year until next season... I will likely rewatch the whole season at least twice more sometime throughout the year. (I have it saved on my HD)

Live long and prosper!
I want to become a Dilionaire...

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a lot that they did well in this episode. My main problem is that it felt rushed. It really should have been a 2-hour finale. Resolutions and huge plot developments weren't given time to breathe, to be fully fleshed-out. Overall, I was quite pleased, but it could have been so much more.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    I agree Data 2 hours would have been awesome.

I can't decide on Tilly. Hopefully she will mature out of her nervousness or channel her inner "Killy" more. She had some really good scenes with Stamets and has a lot of potential.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things that I loved about the episode, which I hope we see a lot more of next season, was the "away mission" — and by that I mean interacting with another culture on some alien planet and not just showing up in a wilderness or desert with no other people around. I realize that's possibly more expensive to shoot (and surely more time-consuming, as far as creating the sets and costumes), but that part really brought me back into the "Trek" vibe, a lot more so than many moments this season have.

Now, on to something I wanted to pose to y'all here: Who would you like to see cast as Christopher Pike — and probably, Spock — for season two? Obviously they're not going to go with the same actors from the JJ films. I have to think about it, but I'll post here again if someone comes to me who I think would be great in either role.

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sorry guys, I feel like they threw the Enterprise in at the end as a final, end of season, "Hey **tsk tsk**, here's your effing Enterprise, are you happy? That being said, it DOES look good.

I still can't believe they ended this without time travel. The Federation was effectively wiped out. L'Rell had no obligation not to destroy them, she could have disabled that bomb and directed the fleet to wipe out Earth. They were at their door! It's just too easy.

That being said, Saru should be Captain, Ash was great, Tilly was great. I love this Sarek and Amanda, but I still hate Burnham.

ojhbf601bl3c.jpg

It looks like a natural progression from the NX-01. Which I love. Granted, it doesn't match the other ships they've shown on-screen so far, but that's fine with me!
  • Options
    Grand Final! I LOVE the Speech Burnham gives, I freaking LOVE the scene where the whole Discovery Crew uphold the Principles of Starfleet over the easy solution - that is so dam Star Trek like. Did I mention that i LOVE it?
    But it is true, they should made the season for the sake of storrytelling 16 Episode long.

They anounced that in Season 2 they want to shift the focus back to exploration and all the typical stuff and less to something like a war.
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    They finally fully did the Star Trek classic. "Admiral gives an outrageous order, principled cast disobey and uphold Starfleet principals. Picard was the master of it and now the Discovery crew give it a go.

Interesting move introducing the Enterprise. Be interesting to see who plays Pike, Number One and Spock.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NS111111 wrote: »
    They finally fully did the Star Trek classic. "Admiral gives an outrageous order, principled cast disobey and uphold Starfleet principals. Picard was the master of it and now the Discovery crew give it a go.

Interesting move introducing the Enterprise. Be interesting to see who plays Pike, Number One and Spock.

Right, I forgot I was also going to ask about Number One! So add her to my question above about Pike & Spock: Who would you guys like to see cast as Number One?

• Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    NS111111 wrote: »

Right, I forgot I was also going to ask about Number One! So add her to my question above about Pike & Spock: Who would you guys like to see cast as Number One?

I wanted her for the Discovery's computer voice, as that didn't happen.. I wouldn't be upset seeing Marina Sirtris. Yes, she's older then #1 in tos, but.. who knows what's happened in the 3 years since Talos ?

Between that, good make up and who knows what.. I think it would be fun having the on screen daughter fill the role.

I do think they should try to get quinto for Spock.. even though it's an alternate universe it's supposed to be the same people and having a 3rd person play him when the 2nd is still active would be.. odd.. to me.

It'd been like having Alan Oppenheimer Playing Picard in Emissary.

Same with Pike, but to a much lesser degree.
    Spock is Iconic.

-

The Season Finale.

Show of hands, who else was scared &$&&_less that Tilly was gonna be Killy'd on Kronos and deprive us of her awesomeness ?

I Sooo thought she was gonna take a dirt nap, very glad she didn't.

Very happy with Rance Howard's guest spot..
    For 23 years now or so I've used his "Woosh, I'm invisible!" Line in my sarcastic repertoire , and while doing so always making myself laugh..

I think I was just as excited to see him as I was the Enterprise.

(Will have to rewatch a couple times for lines and delivery if there is anything else I can incorporate lol )

I very much expected Voyagers big red reset button to come into play near the end of the episode.. sending them back to a moment before they left.. maybe save the dead doctor but preserving everything else that happened in their timeline (back to the Future style sort of thing).

Enjoyable.

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so... after spending some time thinking about it, and comparing pics online to validate my selections, here are my initial choices for the roles of Pike, Spock, and Number One (if indeed all or any of them appear on the 2nd season of Discovery).

CHRISTOPHER PIKE
    na85x3lq1t8b.jpg

I'll admit to not being all that familiar with his work, but my impression of him is that Bomer has that same strong, silent type persona that Hunter had, not to mention the piercing eyes and chiseled features.

NUMBER ONE
    5vlbb44pvd53.jpg

I spent a lot of time coming up with this one, but I think De Gouw (who appeared on Arrow as The Huntress and NBC's Dracula as Ilona) has the perfect look for this character.

SPOCK
    6sx6ab4no7t9.jpg

This was the hardest one for me. First of all, I'm certain that Zachary Quinto will not appear in this series. So who do you get to fill the shoes of Leonard Nimoy? Then it came to me: the ideal person should actually resemble James Frain, not Nimoy, so it would be believable that this Spock could be the son of this Sarek. And after that, the first person who came to mind was Strait. Now, I realize this may not work, since he is a regular on The Expanse (as Holden), and not only might the work schedules conflict, but the producers of both shows may not want to cause confusion by having him in two different sci-fi properties airing at roughly the same time. But I feel that he'd be a very interesting choice.

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, I didn't notice this while watching. When Clint Howard appeared in the finale, I was half-expecting him to offer some tranya to Tilly. But they were much more subtle than that. Check out the very similar-looking punch bowls in both shots, with the same familiar orange beverage...

03z4f1ypjgkx.jpg

Found here.

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to share one more thing I found on Tumblr. Pretty neat little tribute somebody posted yesterday, featuring various video clips from Discovery's first season, combined with audio from JFK's inaugural address, and underscored by music.

http://theinsanerobin.tumblr.com/post/170784414964

• Options
    Casting people simply because they resemble the original actors is neither creative nor beneficial to the quality of the narrative.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casting people simply because they resemble the original actors is neither creative nor beneficial to the quality of the narrative.

I never said that was my sole reasoning, although I disagree with the insinuation that producers should not attempt to find someone who embodies the essence of the original character(s). And along the same lines, casting someone who has no resemblance in either looks or style to the original actors can be off-putting and even insulting, as was the case with Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd. (I like Rainn Wilson, but that was terrible casting, imo.)

• Options
    Clint Howard ! Yes, I said Rance didn't I ?
    (His dad's name). Either way.. (Whoosh ! I'm invisible!)
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I never said that was my sole reasoning, although I disagree with the insinuation that producers should not attempt to find someone who embodies the essence of the original character(s). And along the same lines, casting someone who has no resemblance in either looks or style to the original actors can be off-putting and even insulting, as was the case with Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd. (I like Rainn Wilson, but that was terrible casting, imo.)

My apologies, friend, I realize now that I came off more abrasive than I meant. Blame a long day at work!

My point is, I'm sort of torn on this. There are two ways to approach it: One, you try to emulate the original as closely as possible. This almost always leads to fans complaining about how it isn't perfect.

Or two, you make it different enough for them to realize you're doing it on purpose. BEST example of this: Ronald D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica reboot. Casting Starbuck as a girl made half the fan's heads explode. But it was a GREAT choice.

Either way, you get a bit of fan anger at first, then it goes away as they get used to it. This is, of course, a special situation: The Enterprise is not the star of this show, which is "meant" to take place during that established time frame. So theoretically, you have a duty not to "frak" with it.

That being said, even after all these years I STILL feel like JJ Abrams was very inconsistent in what he chose to change with those NuTrek movies. I hate that guy.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to share this DSC/Valentine's Day-themed poster created by artist J.J. Lendl, and figured this thread was as good a place as any for it. ;)

uikv8pbmcnyf.jpg

• Options
    Will not be realeased this year ,probly sept. Of 2019

"Star Trek Discovery season 2 release date: When do we next get more Trek?
    Season one launched on September 24, 2017, but don't expect to see season two in September 2018.
    Co-creator Alex Kurtzman has explained that season two won't land until 2019 at the earliest. "Breaking story is, in some ways, the easier and faster thing; it's the ability to execute on it that's much harder. We want to take the right amount of time and don't want to rush," he outlined. "

• Options
    There is no release date because the show is so *hugs. Seriously, what show isn't shooting their 2nd season while the first season is running? Answer: This show. I just tried to find some sort of 'viewership ratings,' and although I get the inherent problems with STD being a 'pay per view,' CBS hasn't released any news on actual numbers. Why not? The answer would embarrass all involved in putting this crap together.
  • Options
    The Enterprise was so pretty. It really felt like a several-generations-later successor to the NX-01. I loved Burnham’s speech, and Ash leaving was a good choice. The end theme made me a little teary.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    No second season this year? Wow they already ran out of ideas? I guess they were thinking they could run this Klingon war for 7 years but the ratings weren't paying off so they wrapped it up and are now shopping for new blood.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clanof wrote: »
    No second season this year? Wow they already ran out of ideas? I guess they were thinking they could run this Klingon war for 7 years but the ratings weren't paying off so they wrapped it up and are now shopping for new blood.

The TV landscape has changed with Netflix and all these other streaming services. The usual norm of a new season every year is not a given anymore. There is an even longer break until Daredevil for example returns. In the case of Discovery this longer waiting time can only be good for us - in theory. The first season started under tricky circumstances. With producer Bryan Fuller leaving etc. And despite many delays they still had to rush some things as was said in later interviews. They do not want to repeat that mistake and take more time to get things "right" this time. Co-showrunner Aaron Harberts also promised: "We have time to do things like more away missions, newer planets. These are stories that might fall a little bit more into a framework of allegory that people love to get from Trek."

The Klingon War on the other hand was only meant to last one season. They want to focus on a different arc every new season.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clanof wrote: »

The TV landscape has changed with Netflix and all these other streaming services. The usual norm of a new season every year is not a given anymore. There is an even longer break until Daredevil for example returns. In the case of Discovery this longer waiting time can only be good for us - in theory. The first season started under tricky circumstances. With producer Bryan Fuller leaving etc. And despite many delays they still had to rush some things as was said in later interviews. They do not want to repeat that mistake and take more time to get things "right" this time. Co-showrunner Aaron Harberts also promised: "We have time to do things like more away missions, newer planets. These are stories that might fall a little bit more into a framework of allegory that people love to get from Trek."

The Klingon War on the other hand was only meant to last one season. They want to focus on a different arc every new season.

DareDevil is a bad example as it is part of the MCU and the Netflix Marvel Defender Set, and they lead up to each other and are connected. They've done at least 2 seasons of each related series every year since 2015, and 2018 will have at least 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_television_series

• Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    DareDevil is a bad example

So what? No matter the Daredevil reason you stated in general it is no longer a given that you get a new season for whatever every year. Also so what again: You have to wait longer for season 3 of Daredevil, so zero a bad example ;). People don´t care for the motives of the Star Trek or Daredevil producers, they prefer to get their yearly fix as they are used 2.

Next to that the main point is that the longer wait could have benefits for the second Discovery season. As described for anyone who can read ;) Troll away dear dear Pallidyne B)
  • Options
    Just wanted to share this DSC/Valentine's Day-themed poster created by artist J.J. Lendl, and figured this thread was as good a place as any for it. ;)

uikv8pbmcnyf.jpg

Oh damn, Bradley Cooper is in Star Trek Discovery? :p
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    DareDevil is a bad example

So what? No matter the Daredevil reason you stated in general it is no longer a given that you get a new season for whatever every year. Also so what again: You have to wait longer for season 3 of Daredevil, so zero a bad example ;). People don´t care for the motives of the Star Trek or Daredevil producers, they prefer to get their yearly fix as they are used 2.

Next to that the main point is that the longer wait could have benefits for the second Discovery season. As described for anyone who can read ;) Troll away dear dear Pallidyne B)

The thing is Daredevil, as you easily dismissed, is part of an overall arc. Unless they have a real bad Daredevil fetish, folks are watching all the shows in the Arc. You could really consider Defenders the overall show which gives multiple episodes per year featuring different characters that interact. You are guaranteed at least 2 installments in the Defenders saga every year. So you DO get your yearly fix, you get it multiple times a year in fact, of the Defenders story.

I'm not disputing that things have changed in the landscape, just that your example is not a good one to demonstrate what you are trying to convey. MCU Content is continuous, without a break. (And frankly an example of very effective project management.)

And some characters, such as Rosario Dawsons 'Night Nurse'/Claire Temple are part of the overall arc showing that it is one big story amongst the various titles.

If you'd used Ozarks, which has a floating release date that may or may not come in 2018, or Stranger Things which had a release gap date of 15-16 months between seasons, I think that would have been more effective. Love is another good example having debuted in 2016 but getting a second season in 2018 -- all of which these are stand-alone series just like Discovery.