Home The Bridge

Why is the H.M.S. Bounty not considered a Klingon ship in voyages?

This is something that really irks me everytime I get the Klingon ship trait for voyages. I mean the description of it in game starts out with " A Klingon bird-of-pray...."

Comments

• Why does the Borg scout ship not have the scout trait?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's considered Federation.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prosser wrote: »
    This is something that really irks me everytime I get the Klingon ship trait for voyages. I mean the description of it in game starts out with " A Klingon bird-of-pray...."
    Because it's no longer a Klingon ship. Fully captained by Feds by the time it was re-named the Bounty.
    [VA] NATE wrote: »
    Why does the Borg scout ship not have the scout trait?
    Dunno.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Klingon Holy Ship? Thought that didn't come til DSC :)
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

Exactly, at this point in time it has had a number of key parts replaced with federation equivalents.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    [VA] NATE wrote: »
    Why does the Borg scout ship not have the scout trait?
    Dunno.

The ship needs to be renamed. DB has said that the scout trait represents a smaller ship than the one called "Borg Scout Ship."
  • The Borg Scout Ship looks like a Borg Cube but due to it's size (compared to other ships) it looks too small for a Borg Cube, so it was named Borg Scout Ship but without getting the Scout Trait because it was designed as a Borg Cube. It's that easy and logical!
  • Didn't Chekov refer to the same bird of prey as a "scout class vessel" in ST3?
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • It's a Klingon Bird of Prey, it should have the Klingon trait. Simple as that. Fix this DB.
  • To have the Klingon trait it would have to be manned by Klingons instead of the crew of the Enterprise. Who built it does not matter.
  • Hunter247 wrote: »

Exactly, at this point in time it has had a number of key parts replaced with federation equivalents.

Really? I haven't watched ST:III/IV in a long time, but iirc, the crew stole the BOP after self destructing the Enterprise. They had no time to salvage any components from the Enterprise.

Unless.. By key parts, do you mean the crew?

Or was there a short line on Vulcan talking about swapping out components?
  • Hunter247 wrote: »

Really? I haven't watched ST:III/IV in a long time, but iirc, the crew stole the BOP after self destructing the Enterprise. They had no time to salvage any components from the Enterprise.

Unless.. By key parts, do you mean the crew?

Or was there a short line on Vulcan talking about swapping out components?

I don't recall the exact line but Kirk made it clear they spent a few months on Vulcan between III and IV with Scotty working on the ship.
  • SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    Uebermind wrote: »
    It's a Klingon Bird of Prey, it should have the Klingon trait. Simple as that. Fix this DB.

No it shouldn't. History is full of vessels that have been captured or bought from other nations and carry the flag of the new nation. Cases in point, the USAF flew harriers which were British made or the USS Phoenix which was sunk by the British.

The only consideration is which flag is the ship flying.
  • I was also upset, but a parallel that brought me some peace of mind was to consider if the Klingon-designed, Romulan-owned D7 cruisers from The Enterprise Incident were added. Surely those would not be considered Klingon.
  • RNGeverythingRNGeverything ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If you took over a ship, renamed it as your own, and sailed it as your own?

What would you do? Would you describe it as it was, or as it is now?

For once I agree with DB.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

Klingon Holy Ship? Thought that didn't come til DSC :)

ikcvoqleng.jpg
  • SMM wrote: »
    Uebermind wrote: »
    It's a Klingon Bird of Prey, it should have the Klingon trait. Simple as that. Fix this DB.

No it shouldn't. History is full of vessels that have been captured or bought from other nations and carry the flag of the new nation. Cases in point, the USAF flew harriers which were British made or the USS Phoenix which was sunk by the British.

The only consideration is which flag is the ship flying.

The bird-of-prey is a Klingon design. The Harrier is a British design. Nothing will change who the designs are attributed to.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design is irrelevant.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Design is irrelevant.

Ooh, but this comment raises another point. Could you argue similarly that once a character is assimilated, they're no longer their original species? If Bounty is no longer a Klingon ship, should A. Tuvok still have the Vulcan trait, etc? ;)
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    If Bounty is no longer a Klingon ship, should A. Tuvok still have the Vulcan trait, etc? ;)

I could argue that he, and all Borg, are hybrids.

I could further argue that a hypothetical Kobali Ballard should have Human and Kobali traits.

I could even further argue that Ensign Ballard looked better as a Kobali, but that would be just an attempt to derail the original topic, so I won't do that.

k0frlc8ea8it.jpg
  • We have both a 'Defiant Class' ship - https://stt.wiki/wiki/Defiant-Class_Ship

and the actual USS Defiant - https://stt.wiki/wiki/U.S.S._Defiant

And it's the same with the HMS Bounty - https://stt.wiki/wiki/H.M.S._Bounty

and https://stt.wiki/wiki/Klingon_K'Vort_Bird-of-Prey

it's a specific 'named' ship from the canon, and in that particular instance it was a Federation owned and modded vessel.