Home The Bridge

Petition to stop the burnhams

edited February 2018 in The Bridge
With this event, we recieve 2 more variations of an already overused character. We realize you're pushing discovery, but you're not pushing discovery, you're pushing burnham. In a very short time, she has become worse than the jokes of riker and janeway. Only without the amusement. This is a petition to please stop making more burnham characters and bring the force back into balance.

Chants:
"stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams,"

Petition to stop the burnhams 80 votes

A line must be drawn HERE! This far, NO FARTHER!
66%
Captain_WhoCaptainUnderpantsFor Cardassia[NDQ] Joker41NAM[SSR] The Iron CowRocpileMordack[DB:Do Better] More Tranya!GAWA William T. Riker[QH] OxmyxGrant77KTzPallidyne[10F] Fuzzy MooFrankenstein·§ë· For the ManyHungry Dog DDMShakaarPrincess Trista 53 votes
She's cool, i like her, make 10 more variations on her.
25%
izausomeSabine of AthensV.SpaceWereDragonStygianIrianaIrialThis Sisko1RennJaxoLeshy[KF] Kapitan DobchanTcal(HGH)Apollo[GoT] Unsober ShimodaDScottHewittRocky MoosejawNeackStealthFrenzySecret JourneyInspector34 20 votes
why am i voting if i just don't care?
8%
Captain Durf[GoT] jess-gay[TUFG] SiguardJim Raynor[10F] NewtonianQBallsLegendary SpacemanK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All Dtea 7 votes

Comments

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are, literally, two front page threads about this subject already
  • Really, another thread? Geezz....
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • She's cool, i like her, make 10 more variations on her.
    I'll take all the burnhams and more. Keep em coming!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just need more other Discovery to balance it. She is the main character though of the only active trek show so get used to it.
    Let’s fly!
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams, stop the burnhams
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Guess I don't care one way or the other much, but do hope they add more variety in Disco crew since there's quite a bit to choose from (of course a lot of people don't know who half of them are ;)).

v1g1v34a0gkn.jpg
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnham is one of the worst characters in Star Trek. She is just a female Wesley Crusher in the first two seasons of TNG.
    Even Neelix seems interesting compared to her.
    Have you watched the Discovery series cause it sounds like you haven't.
    Let’s fly!
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched every episode of it and actually enjoyed it until it was revealed that Lorca is from MU. That last 3 episodes left a bitter taste in my mouth.
  • A line must be drawn HERE! This far, NO FARTHER!
    I watched every episode of it and actually enjoyed it until it was revealed that Lorca is from MU. That last 3 episodes left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I was excited about Mirror Lorca, since it began to explain the brutal, warlike leadership of Discovery. Then they went and swapped Mirror Lorca for the Emperor, who is quite possibly the most brutal person in the mirror universe--and most of the crew barely seemed to notice. Whatever hopes there were for salvaging the show with the mirror universe were lost.
    I think the anti-Burnham crowd is full of closest racists and sexists. Grow up.

There are too many Burnhams. I also feel there are too many Rikers and Janeways. Whatcha got for that?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a petition to stop the petitions?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see people complaining about the Rikers, Wesleys and Janeways.

Maybe your eyes are closed.
    Dralix wrote: »

Maybe your eyes are closed.

When have you seen 3 active threads against Riker, Wesley or Janeway? All near the top of the forum?
  • kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

So you're blind as well. o.0

edit or at least very new player/forumer
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

Jumping to the conclusion that people not liking a character or actress is racist and sexist is a sign that the child is you, not us

Sure, bud. I don't see people complaining about the Rikers, Wesleys and Janeways. Yet, I see a lot of threads tearing up Discovery both here and elsewhere as being to PC. Say what you want, but there is an underlying reactionary element that can only be seen as White Fragility.

Ahh dammit... I guess I got caught feeding the troll. Damn. I'm usually better than that
    I wouldn't mind so much but there are 2 new ones in this event alone, at this rate, my entire fleet will Bunhams
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

I am neither a racist, nor a sexist, and it's incredibly shallow that you think that's the only possible reason we could have for not liking her. I'm allowed to not like a character, regardless of whether that character happens to belong to a minority. I think it's an especially odd comment given that most people who have voiced a dislike of Burnham/DSC are also DS9 fans.

I think Burnham is a character that had a lot of potential but was ultimately fumbled by the writers. Her changes were all very sudden and jarring (compare with Paris in Voyager or Quark or Odo in DS9, who had multiple seasons of gradual changes), and she was just sort of thrown all over the place (life and death situation! love interest! people dying!) with little time to get to know her. I also don't think Sonequa Martin-Green's acting is very good, and while I can overlook that for the first few episodes, it doesn't seem to be improving.

Mind you, I don't believe my dislike for a character should stop DB from releasing variants of her. The issue that prompted this thread is that they just keep releasing endless amounts of her to the point where she's on par with Archer, with only a fraction of the episodes.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
    She’s great at SCI. Keep em coming
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
    Yateball wrote: »

Jumping to the conclusion that people not liking a character or actress is racist and sexist is a sign that the child is you, not us

Sure, bud. I don't see people complaining about the Rikers, Wesleys and Janeways. Yet, I see a lot of threads tearing up Discovery both here and elsewhere as being to PC. Say what you want, but there is an underlying reactionary element that can only be seen as White Fragility.

I literally just complained about Riker and Janeway 4 posts above this....
  • TcalTcal ✭✭✭
    More Burnhams please
    Burnham is one of the worst characters in Star Trek. She is just a female Wesley Crusher in the first two seasons of TNG.
    Even Neelix seems interesting compared to her.
    Have you watched the Discovery series cause it sounds like you haven't.

I have, and I completely agree that she is a horrible character.
  • [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Your comment says far more about you than the people you are accusing of being racists and sexists.
This discussion has been closed.