Home The Bridge

Cadet/Arena Mission Timer

I think we'd much rather warp these, but in lieu of that, what's the idea behind the cadet mission delay timer?

I don't get it. Is it a motivator to remain in game? Plenty of those already. To limit server utilization - that doesn't seem correct. Is it designed to slow progress? If people spend money on extra tickets, why slow them down? They're already slowed by the escalating ticket prices.

Before anybody bothers posting - yes, I realize I can break these up throughout the day - and I'm sure you have a great strategy for doing so. I just don't see a need for it. I already have to deal with the shuttle timers at 3 hours, the gauntlet at 4 and the voyage at 2. And with the remaining voyage errors, I then have to babysit the last 20 minutes or so of the voyage.

Can these be eliminated? Make it VIP if necessary, but these are just really annoying.

Comments

• Cappy wrote: »
    Can these be eliminated? Make it VIP if necessary, but these are just really annoying.

I like the sound of this idea - waiting for 90s or so isn't exactly forever, but 5 waits per day, 7 days per week and it starts to add up.

Perhaps it could be an opportunity to offer F2Pers an advert daily to allow them to skip the wait time too?
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • I'm just happy it is down from the 10 minutes it was when I first started playing.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarrant wrote: »
    I'm just happy it is down from the 10 minutes it was when I first started playing.
    Very much this. Though I also agree with OP that it does seem silly to have a delay at all.
  • Could not agree more.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • I agree as well. The same could be said for Arena as there is a timer there too. Hell, more people would probably be willing to spend a little extra money on Dilithium to recharge the ticket amount more often if they did not have to wait several minutes in order to complete all of the first six.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Tarrant wrote: »
    I'm just happy it is down from the 10 minutes it was when I first started playing.
    Very much this. Though I also agree with OP that it does seem silly to have a delay at all.

Thirded.
    Ugh, remember the horror of realizing it is 30 minutes before the daily reset and noticing you forgot to do your cadet or space missions, and then there wasn't enough time left to do them?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Also agree with this, especially when I purchase extra cadet tickets. I don't want to wait to complete them. Simple easy fix, make it happen DB.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with this. At least make the ground missions warpable like normal away team missions. The space battles though have to be fought manually, because you get a new opponent (with different crew and a new challenge) every time you go into the Arena, so no warp there, I'm afraid.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you mentioned, I would guess it might have been structured with a wait time to cut down on server load. I'm guessing there is a rather large percentage of people who, like me, play both Arena and Cadet Challenges right away after the daily reset.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • I also agree with this. At least make the ground missions warpable like normal away team missions. The space battles though have to be fought manually, because you get a new opponent (with different crew and a new challenge) every time you go into the Arena, so no warp there, I'm afraid.

The point is to keep the crew in your slots, so if you can just warp it, why would you? It'd defeat the purpose of them in the first place, which is to have a reason to keep lower ranked crew.
  • KNakamura wrote: »
    I also agree with this. At least make the ground missions warpable like normal away team missions. The space battles though have to be fought manually, because you get a new opponent (with different crew and a new challenge) every time you go into the Arena, so no warp there, I'm afraid.

The point is to keep the crew in your slots, so if you can just warp it, why would you? It'd defeat the purpose of them in the first place, which is to have a reason to keep lower ranked crew.

Can't warp it until you pass it.
  • but then you can just freeze all of them. So.. yeah.. I don't think this is a good idea..
  • You don't think warp is a good idea or eliminating the timer is a good idea? Either way, could you expand on why you don't think it's a good idea?
  • I'd like to be able to warp them as well. Forcing us to keep crew out for cadet missions is stupid. DB thinks this helps them sell more crew slots when it doesn't. Either way we will always need more crew slots. Always. So just let us warp the cadet missions and be done with it.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • That's a valid point if you could warp the cadet missions then you no longer need to keep the 2's around and can just ice block them. You also have to put in a differentiation between the space battles and the ground missions ticket wise as you can't ever warp the space battles.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cappy wrote: »
    I think we'd much rather warp these, but in lieu of that, what's the idea behind the cadet mission delay timer?

Hey, the timer used to be 10 minutes, not 3 minutes. While it would be nice if there was no timer, I'm not going to complain about 3 minutes.

• I hate the wait timer too. I get that they want us to keep crew slots filled, and it's kind of frustrating how many cadets I still need because I haven't quite completed all epic level missions yet. Plus I sometimes need to farm items. But yes, the timer wait is annoying though I usually check my faction malls while I wait for it to count down. Zipping across the galaxy like a lunatic just to pick up some spices and a few credits lol
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    BelleAnna wrote: »
    ...Zipping across the galaxy like a lunatic just to pick up some spices and a few credits lol
    You should get the Smuggler trait. :)