Home Make It So!
Options

Discovery characters

Is it just my imagination or are the recently introduced DIS characters ALL really, really powerful? It’s almost as if DB are forcing us to pick these above others just because it’s a current show.
I have no quarrel with Discovery in general, but so far I haven’t seen many things the crew did that makes me think “Wow, your crew is way better than Kirk’s!”
I genuinely don’t mind strong characters, not the least, but that all the Discovery characters (at least that’s my feeling) are so powerful seems wrong to me.
In my view some should be nerfed a little bit.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at Voyage stats
    Of the top ten gold there are 2 out of the most recent ones however look closely and you see a lot of new crew Mirror Picard, Da Vinci, Protomorphosis Barclay , Honey Bare Dax, meanwhile Suus Mansa Sarek is lower down the chain. Now given there has been a push of note (probably at CBS bidding) it's more circumstantial than intended, but DB are slipping in some non discovery Crew too if you look closely.
    Of the purples Mirror Geordi, Tsunkatse Seven, Mirror Dax, Mirror Mayweather, Tourist Quark are all quite high up as well.

It's obvious power creep is going to set in to keep the game going, but this inherently creates the problem because a new trek is providing new characters to be created at the same time.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    I understand that from a marketing point of view they have to make new characters strong so people will buy them, but I must say for a mobile game this takes a big effort to immerse itself in the world it is set in — and this means to me that the most powerful beings should be characters like Q, or the Borg Queen (she’s admittedly very powerful) or someone along those lines.
    Instead we have Cadet Tilly as a Gold character when it would have sufficed to put her in as a grey or green character.
  • Options
    smintili wrote: »
    I understand that from a marketing point of view they have to make new characters strong so people will buy them, but I must say for a mobile game this takes a big effort to immerse itself in the world it is set in — and this means to me that the most powerful beings should be characters like Q, or the Borg Queen (she’s admittedly very powerful) or someone along those lines.
    Instead we have Cadet Tilly as a Gold character when it would have sufficed to put her in as a grey or green character.

By that estimation then the Traveller should be the one that defeats all perhaps in engineering and science, tbh i think it is far better to have power houses on rotation, at the moment it is discovery that is getting the attention, but that's not to say it will be like that forever.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    What might be a good idea is if an event is re-run or an already existing character will be featured in an upcoming event, why not rework their stats as to represent their shining role in the adventure to come? This would rotate the powerhouses every week and might lead to a better overall balance (tbh the balance has been whacked ever since the introduction of starbases anyway, so...).
  • Options
    That's possible but all characters would need a complete overhaul, which may not be in DBs best interest (or to my mind maybe it should be). I think and if suspicions are correct new factions and missions are perhaps would be DB's preferred way forward to make more crew useful. They do rerun events and characters on occasion, just take the option to get commando Shran again.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    A combination of power creep and efforts to promote CBS’ new series...it’s unfortunate but not much can be done that would be a sensible use of DB’s time and resources.
  • Options
    It's nothing more than power creep.

Newer characters tend to be more powerful due to Power Creep.
    Discovery has only newer characters (as in, released during the last six months).

Hence Discovery characters tend to be strong.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    It's nothing more than power creep.

Newer characters tend to be more powerful due to Power Creep.
    Discovery has only newer characters (as in, released during the last six months).

Hence Discovery characters tend to be strong.

Certainly, but isn’t that kind of unfair? These characters have done so far not much to leave a big mark in the Trek lore (heck, even Archer‘s crew left more of an impression after their first season), aside from the fact that they are bending the rules concerning what Star Trek is about to get more action into it. Not to discredit Discovery here (I kinda liked the first season, just Star Trek wise it falters a little too much for my taste), the show’s well made, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying Tyler is a better security officer than Worf or Tuvok or even Reed. Tyler is a dude with a heavy psychological trauma, but what exactly makes him so good a security officer that he is one of the best?
    I repeat, gameplay-wise it makes sense to me. It just pulls me out of the game to see a so far not that impressive character be as strong as characters who’ve done much more impressive things.
  • Options
    Certainly, but isn’t that kind of unfair?

You say "bending the rules" as if this was not a day 1 practice. Just look at, for example, Judge Q. Primary stat: security 963+(203–407). This character was always a joke - with the introduction of Mirror Kirk during the second episode we received a crew whose secondary skill was equally good as Q's primary.

And that was Mirror Kirk, a character who appears on-screen for half a minute, whose secondary skill was as strong as the best skill of a literally omnipotent being.

The "let's not bend the rules" boat has sailed two years ago and has never been seen since.

Only consolation is that the power creep aids everyone new in the game. Just look at Dress Kilt Scotty
  • Options
    Only consolation is that the power creep aids everyone new in the game. Just look at Dress Kilt Scotty

But only those new players who invest a lot of money. How else is a new player going to obtain a 5* Kilt Scotty?
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be a galactic "Crisis" style event where everyone's stats get re-adjusted.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Perhaps somewhere down the line there will be a galactic "Crisis" style event where everyone's stats get re-adjusted.

Crisis on Infinite Star Treks? 😁
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Looking forward to the "Janeway-Burnham".....1892 CMD, 1763 SCI.......won't be long...Maybe call her Burnway..
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options

But only those new players who invest a lot of money. How else is a new player going to obtain a 5* Kilt Scotty?

I don't know, but it's irrelevant. If we exclude new legendaries because they are recent, then we discard almost all Discovery crew (who are still, mostly, time-limited) and we have literally nothing to talk about.

Unless we want to discuss 4* crew, as even neweish-players can get many of those from thresholds. And there, once again, power creep blesses everyone (such as Ambassador Shras or Tarah, both very strong contendants to be the best 4* crew in their skill). The only discipline where Discovery shines is Science, with Prospect Burnham, Graduation Burnham, Commander Saru and Reinforcements Stamets all ranking high.
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »

Yeah no. Power creep will rear its ugly head within one week from the Crisis. Just wait for the first event.
  • Options
    It's obvious power creep is going to set in to keep the game going, but this inherently creates the problem because a new trek is providing new characters to be created at the same time.

With that in mind I hope they’ll deliver more Episodes for the campaign as well. Not much use for these powerhouses if they can beat Episode 8 easily.
  • Options
    AstrometricsAstrometrics ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Not much use for these powerhouses if they can beat Episode 8 easily.

Nah. Power-creep in new episodes is definitely made for big spenders, whose main concern is event placement, not finishing episodes (which probably most of them finished a long while ago).
  • Options
    also think Discovery crew are prematurely assigned before we really know what their real abilities are or even who they are. The classic now is Voq and Tyler. I think the only thing to do here is to create a new dual Voq-Tyler character like Tuvix. after season one maybe Tyleer has sailed off into the sunset....or another galaxy