Home The Bridge
Options

The Great Event Shuttle Nerf

Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge
OK, it's had time to shake out, what's the conclusion on our nerfed shuttles? Are we stuck with 6 per faction, and the loss of even 3 man shuttles now? Are we forced to suffer even more RNG frustration and ranking should we stick around for shuttle events? Was it worth shortening the event opening lag from 40 minutes to 30 minutes?

I can speak for no one else, but this month event and shuttle change have done a good job of killing my enthusiasm for the game.

Think DB can give us some comment on their plans for the future of this event?

Comments

• Options
    Shuttle events were already becoming a bore for me, as are most events really. But with the influx of chrons from Voyages, shuttle events really started to become nothing more than regular game play where I might get a few new cards. Aside from the kickstart, there was zero strategy. I'm much more focused on galaxy events at this point, and expedition if we ever get that back on a regular basis.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to get some kind of commentary from them on this
  • Options
    The lack of 3 person shuttles in the last one was annoying. Otherwise I'm currently not really affected by these changes yet..

.. But having every shuttle filled with Nearly all bonus crew the last two go's I think may give a false impression on how this will shake out.

Let's see what happens next week when we undoubtedly have a pure faction event with most likely far less bonus crew.

That will be the true shake out.
    Then I will know and then.. things will either continue as they have been Or participating in events will no longer be a forgone conclusion and instead go to a "if really interested" state.

(This, from a day one player who has never missed any shuttle events ever)

Bring back Expeditions
    Bring in New event types.
  • Options
    I never found it hard to cherry pick the missions. Our fleet posts a list of all the shuttles and skills for each slot, you pick the ones that work to run, the others rot, so the same useful ones just pop right up.

Meanwhile, it takes 12-24 hours longer to get to 4k shuttles, and the more punishing failure rates pre-4k just introduce more frustration that's not necessary. When you fail 2/4 95% shuttles at 4k, it's not as big of a deal or as enfuriating when you stay at 4k. When you fail 2/4 and 3/4 95% shuttles at 2250 and 2750 and 3500 and get bumped back down, it just leads to cursing the DBNG and their love of RNGEVERYTHING.

When I have the crew, carefully and intentionally cultivated, to always hit sub1k in faction events, then DB says Ruk you, RNG is now the sole decider of rank, I really don't feel the motivation to keep at it.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please clarify on how reducing the total number of missions has impacted your enjoyment?

Do you get great enjoyment out of opening thirty missions at once that eighteen is just not cutting it?

As for slots, they've always changed greatly from event to event. I, for one, enjoy the diversity of having to figure out the optimal path each time for my crew. Whether it's 3 slots or 5, I don't really care, it's just a min/maxing problem.

More choices give me more to think about and more permutations to try. Now I'm not a masochist enough to try doing a bunch of 5 seaters without significant bonus crew backing up, but I found this past even more boring as there were less missions to try and with the fewer lower seated ones, really it was a no brainer which ones to pick, no real reason to try others.

To me that takes some of the enjoyment or 'fun' if you will out of the game.
  • Options
    I never found it hard to cherry pick the missions. Our fleet posts a list of all the shuttles and skills for each slot, you pick the ones that work to run, the others rot, so the same useful ones just pop right up.

Meanwhile, it takes 12-24 hours longer to get to 4k shuttles, and the more punishing failure rates pre-4k just introduce more frustration that's not necessary. When you fail 2/4 95% shuttles at 4k, it's not as big of a deal or as enfuriating when you stay at 4k. When you fail 2/4 and 3/4 95% shuttles at 2250 and 2750 and 3500 and get bumped back down, it just leads to cursing the DBNG and their love of RNGEVERYTHING.

When I have the crew, carefully and intentionally cultivated, to always hit sub1k in faction events, then DB says Ruk you, RNG is now the sole decider of rank, I really don't feel the motivation to keep at it.

agreed, noticed that with the Nerf my ranking has taken a Big Hit with the 12-24hr increase to get to 4k even using boosts, plus the with the RNG issues, i am noticing that its taking twice as much in boosts and dil to get back to my normally ranking spot, if i even can

which is a bit annoying after what i allready spent on event deals to do good, RNG was so bad on last faction that i didnt threshold till 8 hrs before event close
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don’t get how this can be called a nerf.

First it was applied equally to all players so it should unfairly impact rank rewards.

Second the people who can get to 4k shuttles are likely already clearing all thresholds with or without this change so there would be no impact to ability to get threshold rewards.

Finally, hybrid events were already usually at one faction and no one complained about only having 20 missions. If 20 for hybrids was okay, why is 18 for a full faction that much of a difference?
  • Options
    I think the issue is more about the direction and impression that the changes make for the player. In principle, the changes effect everyone equally and things are simply, different. In reality, very few people enjoy any change at all, let alone a change that makes them feel like they have to **tsk tsk** up and live with it. Of course, the last part of the statement I made is completely subjective but is certainly true for some people. Call it a nerf, bad change, frustration inducing innovation... all of these negatives can be applied to the felt change as well as to the actual change.

As an example, consider how an increase in gas prices effects us. You can do the math and figure out the hit that 10c/Liter (I'm from Canada) effects your bottom line and declare the price increase uncalled for, or, equally as relevant is the person who looks at the 10c/Liter increase and simply reacts with, "Gasp," as an expression of how they feel about the change. The person who reacts with "gasp" may have done nothing to consider the empirical evidence of how this change in gas price is going to effect them, but regardless of the facts, something inside them makes them feel like it will negatively effect them.

I would argue that as a company, both of these reactions are important to consider when making a change. There will be those who math it out and those who rely entirely on their gut reaction. I can say that my fleet is having an overall negative gut reaction to the shuttle changes. No amount of math can change this feeling because it is not based on the numbers but on our guts.

Perception of an effect is often more powerful than the effect itself.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue is more about the direction and impression that the changes make for the player. In principle, the changes effect everyone equally and things are simply, different. In reality, very few people enjoy any change at all, let alone a change that makes them feel like they have to *chocolate cronut* up and live with it. Of course, the last part of the statement I made is completely subjective but is certainly true for some people. Call it a nerf, bad change, frustration inducing innovation... all of these negatives can be applied to the felt change as well as to the actual change.

As an example, consider how an increase in gas prices effects us. You can do the math and figure out the hit that 10c/Liter (I'm from Canada) effects your bottom line and declare the price increase uncalled for, or, equally as relevant is the person who looks at the 10c/Liter increase and simply reacts with, "Gasp," as an expression of how they feel about the change. The person who reacts with "gasp" may have done nothing to consider the empirical evidence of how this change in gas price is going to effect them, but regardless of the facts, something inside them makes them feel like it will negatively effect them.

I would argue that as a company, both of these reactions are important to consider when making a change. There will be those who math it out and those who rely entirely on their gut reaction. I can say that my fleet is having an overall negative gut reaction to the shuttle changes. No amount of math can change this feeling because it is not based on the numbers but on our guts.

Perception of an effect is often more powerful than the effect itself.

My gut reaction was literally that’s 5-10 minutes less of my lunch hour I have to waste on the shuttle quick start.

With the lag claiming shuttles it took me over half an hour the last time we had 30 missions. Last week I got it done in 15 minutes since not only was it less shuttles but the lag was a lot better.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with 6 shuttles per faction.

I have a problem with the reason. It was an attempt to plaster over the cracks instead of actually sorting the issue causing the problem.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they upped it to 7 missions per faction (for 3 factions) and kept it 10 each (for 1 and 2 Factions). I would be happier.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Agreed. I also found it easier to cherry pick missions and saved merits in the process.

Yeah, right?! I'm going to have to come in on the side of "Like it".

I *do* regret the loss of the kickstart.

And this:
    Bring back Expeditions
    YES, THAT. Bring back Expeditions

• Options
    Capt AjammCapt Ajamm ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Instead of causing anguish to players attempting to predict how this is turning out in the long run, add some new event types that begin in a way that won't stress the servers.

Note i said add, not replace.
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    Whelp, I'm surprised, but it is good that some people like this. All I know is I've since spent a LOT less time in the game, spent no money, and haven't even renewed my monthly card.
  • Options
    GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
    I think the only cohort who were disadvantaged slightly are us Europeans. Under the previous model I could get to 4k (just about) before sleep time - when I hit the 9hr boost. Now I can't and I'm using the 9hr sleep option for 2.750K per shuttle - or thereabouts.

But it probably is only at the margins.
  • Options
    GAWA wrote: »
    I think the only cohort who were disadvantaged slightly are us Europeans.

try being in Australia and having events start between midnight and 4am :disappointed:

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have more failures than success with the double 9hr boost. I therefore think if you are sending lower difficulty you may actually succeed with all.

When running the 4000 difficulty:
    I have done far better using stat booster instead. I am more likely to succeed with all. And, I can send out as soon as I wakeup in the morning.
  • Options
    Can anyone thoroughly explain the new quick start with the 6 shuttles per faction??? T
  • Options
    Can anyone thoroughly explain the new quick start with the 6 shuttles per faction?? Thanks!!
  • Options
    no need with 10.

But open all 18, run 11, open 11, run the newly opened 11 with 90 minute boosts, run the remaining original 7.
  • Options
    I was opposed to the change at first, as it has a larger impact on me living in Europe and thus not being able to push to 4k VP before my 9hrs shuttles.
    After playing the first few events I really like it. Less merits, much less time to find suitable missions and I felt no effect on my performance. I especially prefer the smaller kickstart now, as it takes a lot of the time consuming and laggy start away.
  • Options
    NeemsNeems ✭✭✭
    no need with 10.

But open all 18, run 11, open 11, run the newly opened 11 with 90 minute boosts, run the remaining original 7.

I've seen a slightly more complicated version of this going around that gets you two wins farther. Open 18, Run 11 + Collect, Open 11, Run those 11 with 3* boost but collect only 2, Open 2, Run those 2 with 4* boost, Collect/Run everything you still have left.
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    Except for you could kickstart this event since it was a rerun. That's what I did. I only cared about thresholds in this event, but I like to be done with faction events like that as soon as possible so I did the kickstart. I didn't notice any lag with 30 missions open in this event. But as long as everyone faces the same limitations, the effect on the outcome of the event should be unaffected aside from not getting to 4K until the end of the first day.