Home The Bridge

Why are DB cherry picking Apple’s ToS?

Why are DB cherry picking which changes in Apple’s Terms of Service they follow?

Last year, Apple made a change that requires all games with loot crates to advertise actual percentage chances for each type of drop. This has been ignored by DB.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/16805674/apple-loot-box-app-store-games-odds-probability-disclosure

Apple are more recently requiring developers to make sure their Apps are designed to accommodate the iPhone X display. While this is producing some ugly UI issues, at least DB are trying and are well within the April deadline.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/15/apple-require-new-apps-support-iphone-x/

In order to stay on the Apple App Store, I’m pretty sure DB will have to adhere to all Apple’s requirements, so why bother with just the UI change (that’s upsetting a lot of people) if they don’t intend to address the other?

Comments

• I'm just guessing here, but probably because they feel like it would negatively impact sales if people could see just how bad the odds were.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just guessing here, but probably because they feel like it would negatively impact sales if people could see just how bad the odds were.

But they don’t really have a choice - advertise odds or get kicked off the Apple store entirely. Im sure Apple don’t care.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK this TOS change was for show only. I don't believe there is a single instance of warning or enforcement of them.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The iPhone X is likely easy for Apple to scan the code and enforce. The iPhone X is also Apple's high profile device. So Apple is pushing developers. The loot crate issue is difficult for Apple to determine on its own and the rules were likely more for PR benefit than actual impact. If you'd like to make an issue of the loot odds, complain to Apple and get them to pressure DB. Until Apple applies pressure, DB has no incentive to comply.
  • I'm not using Apple devices. If Google or Steam establish same guidlines I will be the first to report such negligent attitude.
    Interesting views, thanks for the replies.

Other freemium games have a sprinkling of threads like this questioning the developers when it will be implemented, but I didn’t see an answer on any of them.

Seems a precarious position to be in for a developer, unless Apple are advising them on the hush-hush that it won’t be enforced for a long time, if at all.
  • Well, we could always try to organize some "send a Customer Service ticket" initiative and ask this question via CS...
  • I would be very much caution against some mass spamming of CS. They won’t have an answer and it just causes delays for genuine issues that need to be fixed for people.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, it is Apple that you want to notify.
  • Stygian wrote: »
    I would be very much caution against some mass spamming of CS. They won’t have an answer and it just causes delays for genuine issues that need to be fixed for people.

This game heavily relies on RNG. Some would say it is a genuine and certainly a major issue. I would. And last but not least, CS is established to address different concerns, including such as this.
  • Why? Because they can. :p

I Couldn t bother less if they display the actual chances via percentages or not, cause theres no way to figure if they are right anyway.
    Nor does a f.e. 5% chance of a legendary gurantees you that out of 100 pulls you end up with 5 legendaries. Could be Zero could be 20.

If you don t like this, just delete the game for good or stop buying.
    Otherwise why bother? Displayed chances won t change anything for any player regarding the outcome of legendaries out of pack pulls. ;)

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • WaldoMag wrote: »
    Ya, it is Apple that you want to notify.

Sure and I
    Why? Because they can. :p

I Couldn t bother less if they display the actual chances via percentages or not, cause theres no way to figure if they are right anyway.

There is a way. It's called statistical analysis.
  • Uhm, ignore this first part "Sure and I...". For some reason I can't edit posts.
  • Why? Because they can. :p
    And we can raise concerns. :wink:
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stygian wrote: »
    I would be very much caution against some mass spamming of CS. They won’t have an answer and it just causes delays for genuine issues that need to be fixed for people.

I very much agree. There’s nothing CS can do about this, either. That’s not their department. Sure, they can mention it to someone else, but is that really going to do much of anything? The people in charge of those kinds of decisions will not be directly affected by the increased tickets. It’s going to add onto the CS workload, create more stress, and allow more things to slip through the cracks.

All they would be able to do is create a canned response, and spend much of their time (that could be spent investigating and actually solving other problems) sending it out, and closing tickets.

It’s essentially like shooting the messenger.
  • Stygian wrote: »

I very much agree. There’s nothing CS can do about this, either. That’s not their department. Sure, they can mention it to someone else, but is that really going to do much of anything? The people in charge of those kinds of decisions will not be directly affected by the increased tickets. It’s going to add onto the CS workload, create more stress, and allow more things to slip through the cracks.

If en masse this could be a very effective method to put a pressure on some reluctant decision makers. I'm pretty sure sooner or later they would have to answer this question in some way. Sure, it could be vague or indirect answer but if you release genie out of the bottle once it's not easy to put him back. Prolonged massive pressure can do miracles in such cases.
    edited February 2018
    Let’s not forget that CS are the appointed ambassadors for DB.

On these forums and in public/open communications. It’s clear to me from the many threads here and first hand experiences submitting tickets, the forums should be considered as formal communication while there are staff here willing and able to respond in the time between this exact post and the previous one. Yet they have chosen to remain silent.

So while I appreciate Shan and Black Pebble might not have the answers directly, I would expect them to feed back the general consensus and channel specific issues to the relevant people as appropriate.

• I'm not using Apple devices. If Google or Steam establish same guidlines I will be the first to report such negligent attitude.

In a heart beat
    Let’s not forget that CS are the appointed ambassadors for DB.

On these forums and in public/open communications. It’s clear to me from the many threads here and first hand experiences submitting tickets, the forums should be considered as formal communication while there are staff here willing and able to respond in the time between this exact post and the previous one. Yet they have chosen to remain silent.

So while I appreciate Shan and Black Pebble might not have the answers directly, I would expect them to feed back the general consensus and channel specific issues to the relevant people as appropriate.

Been really unhappy when dealing with Customer support over issues myself and if DB is out sourcing there customer service it might be time look at a differnt provider, as the current one is not up to the job