Home The Bridge
Options

Why Arena isn't good and how to fix it

S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge
This should be the best part of the game. Ship battles one on one. It's the most memorable part of Star Trek when it's done properly and the only part of this game that actually feels like a game.

And yet it completely **tsk tsk**. The only thing people care is to get a daily reward.

So why does it **tsk tsk**? Because rewards are non-existent. Daily ship parts and some credits aren't enough.

It would be a far better experience if rewards would be similar to the gauntlet's rewards.

I would make it like this 2* star arena battle get's you one 2*star RNG chest.
The 4*star division will give you a 4*star RNG chest after winning the battle.
The 5*star division gets you a *5 star RNG chest.

Comments

• Options
    I agree, hate having to run my 5 a day to get daily awards, watching my ships get blown apart each time, no Captain XP, no equipment, not like you even get any star base components zilch!

If there was actually somehing to fight for, I may invest some time into looking at the best crew combinations, best ships to use to actually win more rounds, but at this time areana is just a daily chore I go though
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy looking at the ships sometimes in the different settings. I only play to maintain a certain ranking and to not get demoted to 100,000+ It's amusing from time to time but am not interested to grind it 5x a day.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like if that happened, though, it would only be a few days before we’re all back here complaining about getting blue trainers from those boxes.

I like the arena. Many in my fleet find the best reward to be making it to #1. They often try to take all of the top 3 at once.

If you’re having a hard time winning, play the commander’s division, and choose opponents only a few ranks up from you, so your ranking doesn’t get too high and you don’t get opponents with their ships and crew maxed out. Refresh the options (unlike Gauntlet, it’s free) to look for the right opponent.

Then, if you get too high in the rankings, switch to Captain division for two weeks, until your rank in Commander resets.

Repeat as needed.

You’ll get 5-10k credits per day, won’t have to watch your ship get blown up nearly as often, and the rewards can always be used as replicator rations, if you already have the ship or just can’t be bothered to collect enough to build it.

If you haven’t been playing long, and don’t even have a 2* ship maxed out, there are many 2* schems that drop from away missions and ship battles.

The wiki has a list of ships and if you click on one, it’ll tell you if there are any missions that drop those schematics, what their drop rate is, and how many they drop at a time.

Now let’s see if I did that hyperlink correctly...
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like if that happened, though, it would only be a few days before we’re all back here complaining about getting blue trainers from those boxes.

I like the arena. Many in my fleet find the best reward to be making it to #1. They often try to take all of the top 3 at once.

If you’re having a hard time winning, play the commander’s division, and choose opponents only a few ranks up from you, so your ranking doesn’t get too high and you don’t get opponents with their ships and crew maxed out. Refresh the options (unlike Gauntlet, it’s free) to look for the right opponent.

Then, if you get too high in the rankings, switch to Captain division for two weeks, until your rank in Commander resets.

Repeat as needed.

You’ll get 5-10k credits per day, won’t have to watch your ship get blown up nearly as often, and the rewards can always be used as replicator rations, if you already have the ship or just can’t be bothered to collect enough to build it.

If you haven’t been playing long, and don’t even have a 2* ship maxed out, there are many 2* schems that drop from away missions and ship battles.

The wiki has a list of ships and if you click on one, it’ll tell you if there are any missions that drop those schematics, what their drop rate is, and how many they drop at a time.

The problem is that gauntlet last for 2 seconds and you get a good reward.
    Battle arena lasts for 20-30 seconds and you get something that you don't need.

I am overstocked with credits and ships as replication rations aren't that good.

I don't care about a daily reward, I want reward immediately after the battle.
  • Options
    if you are getting 1# then you have the best ships maxed and the best crew, apart from some replicator rations, what is the point?

Apart from the change this month of getting the Shinzou, most if not all of ships are maxed, unless ships become a bigger part of the game I don't see the need, if you have a maxed out bird of prey, romulan war bird or ISS Enterprise borg cube or HMS Bounty.

A case can be made for voyages, but who is going to pick a ship with less than a 1,000 dil just to get the 150 dil bonus over just using the Borg cube or bounty?
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are getting 1# then you have the best ships maxed and the best crew, apart from some replicator rations, what is the point?

Apart from the change this month of getting the Shinzou, most if not all of ships are maxed, unless ships become a bigger part of the game I don't see the need, if you have a maxed out bird of prey, romulan war bird or ISS Enterprise borg cube or HMS Bounty.

A case can be made for voyages, but who is going to pick a ship with less than a 1,000 dil just to get the 150 dil bonus over just using the Borg cube or bounty?

Yeah, the worst part of boring Arena is that getting ships is completely useless.

After maxing the Borg cube you don't need any other ship for anything.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Repeat as needed.

And once you can compete for the higher ranks the credits do go up in the upper tier. It was worth it to me to focus on Commander to get the 15k creds for #1.
  • Options

Yeah, the worst part of boring Arena is that getting ships is completely useless.

Exactly, I would love if the ships were somehow more important, or that their ranking made any sense, I understand the "Legendary" part of it, but nx enterprise or discovery ships would get spanked by all that followed, same as TOS enterprise would loose against the D or Diffiant, or Voyager, we saw in Enterprise mirror universe the NX got wiped out by a constitution class
  • Options

The point... is that it’s fun. :smile:

Sometimes I think we forget that this is supposed to be for fun. It’s not all about the rewards. The rewards are meaningless if you aren’t enjoying yourself.
  • Options
    I completely agree, fun, is the way forward, I am usually positive about this game on the various topics, but, this aspect of the game needs some work. As fun as it is to watch 10 ship battles, where I am killed in 4 shots is, I want the ships to be more important in the game
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    The battles aren't even fun as you often see the computer controlled opponent pull off their special ability before a human can even react.

At the highest level that is often the difference between winning and losing
  • Options
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    The battles aren't even fun as you often see the computer controlled opponent pull off their special ability before a human can even react.

agreed, also the crit hit is off the scale, I have been taken out in 6 shots and less, sometimes against ship which are less than maxed, I don't care what crew are onboard, a level 6 ship, can take out a level 8+ ship
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Actually, the computer often picks bad timing to do that, because it activates them immediately.

For example, some crew have special abilities that are triggered by other abilities. So it’s actually worth it to wait longer to activate the trigger, and then the crew afterwards.

And the computer’s timing is predictable. So I can cloak my ship right as the computer activates T’Kuvma’s instant damage abilities.

agreed, also the crit hit is off the scale, I have been taken out in 6 shots and less, sometimes against ship which are less than maxed, I don't care what crew are onboard, a level 6 ship, can take out a level 8+ ship

Many of us do that intentionally. :smile:

We pick crew who provide massive crit bonuses. It’s how I managed to keep a level 8 ship in the top 15% of the admiral division.
  • Options

Actually, the computer often picks bad timing to do that, because it activates them immediately.

For example, some crew have special abilities that are triggered by other abilities. So it’s actually worth it to wait longer to activate the trigger, and then the crew afterwards.

And the computer’s timing is predictable. So I can cloak my ship right as the computer activates T’Kuvma’s instant damage abilities.

Many of us do that intentionally. :smile:

We pick crew who provide massive crit bonuses. It’s how I managed to keep a level 8 ship in the top 15% of the admiral division.

good for you!

I mean that in both admiration that you have researched the best combo etc and have crew for it, I also mean that in the most sarcastic tone you could imagine, i have watched my maxed ship be taken out by a ship any levels below, in like 5 shots, don't care how good your crew is
  • Options
    Arena is a chore.
    A bore.
    A snore
    If I had a few more words I could write a full length score for how its only slightly better then running into a locked door.

• Options
    Arena is a chore.
    A bore.
    A snore
    If I had a few more words I could write a full length score for how its only slightly better then running into a locked door.

I would read that score rather than running the arena
  • Options
    I want gauntlet boxes AND I don't want them to contain trainers, ever. Like, EVER.
  • Options
    Even merits would be better than useless ship parts.
  • Options
    Ice Man wrote: »
    Even merits would be better than useless ship parts.

Merits would be good, always need some of those
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, I would love if the ships were somehow more important, or that their ranking made any sense, I understand the "Legendary" part of it, but nx enterprise or discovery ships would get spanked by all that followed, same as TOS enterprise would loose against the D or Diffiant, or Voyager, we saw in Enterprise mirror universe the NX got wiped out by a constitution class

I try to at least max. out all the 5* ships ... voyage bonuses and all being quite nice (there is quite a difference between a lvl 1 5* and lvl 10 5* in starting AM).
  • Options
    All my ships are maxed, , with the exception of Discovery ones, not sure I actually have any
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, we have two things which make arena bad

1. practically non-existing rewards
    2. Time period for waiting between battles
  • Options
    So, we have two things which make arena bad

1. practically non-existing rewards
    2. Time period for waiting between battles

pretty much
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    well we got the wait down from 10 to 3. I'm not sure they will bring it down further.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Still not really sure why there is a wait at all

You are right about the previous reduction of the times though
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I guess their theory was that the 10 min was so long they would force you to log in 6x a day.

Being kind to improve qol they reduced it so maybe you would only have to log in 3x. You have to do that anyway for the scans and for people doing shuttles. I can usually find enough to do to fill the time where 3 min is ok. I guess 2 would work a little better.
  • Options
    V. wrote: »
    I guess their theory was that the 10 min was so long they would force you to log in 6x a day.

Being kind to improve qol they reduced it so maybe you would only have to log in 3x. You have to do that anyway for the scans and for people doing shuttles. I can usually find enough to do to fill the time where 3 min is ok. I guess 2 would work a little better.

Personally, I recently realized that the refresh time makes it harder for someone to hold #1 in multiple divisions at once.
  • Options
    I think the reason for the 3 minute delay is so people don't rush for ranking much just before the end of the day. Since the offense has an advantage, being much smarter than the simple AI, it would be an advantage to wait until the last viable moment to run the battles. Heck, it happens to some extent now. I notice I tend to drop rankings a lot more in the last two hours before rewards are handed out than I do the other twenty-two hours of the day.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
    Chief Intelligence Officer
  • Options
    does anyone really care that much about ranking?