Home The Bridge
Options

There went my final hope for a Guinan.

{DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
7016 rounds of gauntlet and never got a Guinan drop. I've never wanted to quit this game more than I do right now.

Comments

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty harsh, man. Sorry. Maybe you'll be one of the first to get a Caretaker.
  • Options
    She’s ok at certain things, but really nothing special in the current state of the game. She has been left behind by all of the newer crew that was added over the last few months. Just keep plugging away, her absence will not be hard to make up for.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it ain't the stats, its the character. And that's hard to fill unless you go DIL happy or get VERY lucky on Voyages.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was pretty useless for me in gauntlet. I do use her for voyages. I don't like how they nerfed it to non existence. I some how got 4 copies in one weekend. And 2 every 3 months afterwards for a total of 7 with a double offer. Locutus was a myth to me though. Way to hard. Takes the fun out of it. They had a locutus pack so I'm sure they will have a guinan pack. But still rng to get.
  • Options
    She was pretty useless for me in gauntlet. I do use her for voyages. I don't like how they nerfed it to non existence. I some how got 4 copies in one weekend. And 2 every 3 months afterwards for a total of 7 with a double offer. Locutus was a myth to me though. Way to hard. Takes the fun out of it. They had a locutus pack so I'm sure they will have a guinan pack. But still rng to get.

I got Locutus exactly like you in my main profile, was fortunate enough to get one on my secondary profile. Even though 3 Guinans on my primary and 2 on my secondary, I should not complain about that, but with the same quantity of Gauntlet rounds as me, around 9.5K , people have gotten around 7 drops like you did or even more. I should advise anyone playing the Gauntlet to not look for too long winning rounds, instead try to play as many rounds as possible and hit the marks 3 or 6 in a row wins to obtain it.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    For sure it's a straight number of boxes opened. Theoretically you could have 10,000 rounds and zero boxes opened from streaks.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    I hear ya. I got blanked on Locutus. Managed a single Guinan, but I see these people who got enough copies for two and I just shake my head.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    I won the last available gauntlet (with just around 2200 points, no idea how this happened) and got a third star on guinan. She was sitting at 2/5 since the first week after she was introduced...
  • Options
    Copied from another response i did on another thread about this very topic:
    That happened to me...played really hard to get locutus...never got him. The first day guinan was available...i got her. Then 2 months later i got locutus from the one and only pack he was ever featured in...got him on the first pull!!
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    7016 rounds of gauntlet and never got a Guinan drop. I've never wanted to quit this game more than I do right now.
    Man, that is some bad luck! On the plus side, she isn't that great compared to say Defensive Phlox or Sulan and much less powerful than Locutus. Maybe you'll get lucky with the Caretaker and get him sooner than everyone else..

Jim

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    but really nothing special in the current state of the game
    She was pretty useless for me in gauntlet
    On the plus side, she isn't that great

I don't know why people keep telling themselves that. She has the second best DIP roll and the best DIP/MED. In fact, her DIP/MED is the highest roll of any card in the game. And even though she might not be as powerful as Locutus (the absolute best 3-skill Gauntlet crew in the game), she still has the upper hand in DIP/MED and single-DIP (DIP/ENG and DIP/CMD) in a direct duel. Arguing that the very best Gauntlet crew is better than her does not negate the fact that that Guinan still is in the top 1%.

I have to say I am too perplexed by people saying, "pah Guinan not all that great." Front page top 10 on voyages and seeing a wall of her in Gauntlet tells me otherwise. I was fortunate to get one of her but now begins the citation saga, i mean misery, continues.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I don't know why people keep telling themselves that. She has the second best DIP roll and the best DIP/MED. In fact, her DIP/MED is the highest roll of any card in the game. And even though she might not be as powerful as Locutus (the absolute best 3-skill Gauntlet crew in the game), she still has the upper hand in DIP/MED and single-DIP (DIP/ENG and DIP/CMD) in a direct duel. Arguing that the very best Gauntlet crew is better than her does not negate the fact that that Guinan still is in the top 1%.

I have to say I am too perplexed by people saying, "pah Guinan not all that great." Front page top 10 on voyages and seeing a wall of her in Gauntlet tells me otherwise. I was fortunate to get one of her but now begins the citation saga, i mean misery, continues.

She is great for voyages if you have her fused, and for gauntlet depending on your roster. If you have locutus or Gowron and mirror or defensive phlox or sulan she should probably not be in your line up unless it’s a med gauntlet or she gets a crit bonus.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

For me, Locutus adds more to my team than Guinan. With Guinan, I average 761 across all 15 skill pairs and with Locutus I average 769. I suppose you could consider using both, but their strengths overlap a lot (both have DIP/SEC and both have a high DIP score) so the average team strength actually goes down no matter how I slice it.

My gauntlet team ("normal" team bolded). Others get used if their traits are matched:
    • Kahless
    • Assimilated La Forge
    • Gangster Spock
    • Mirror Phlox
    • Locutus
    • Guinan
    • Gowron
    • Delta Flier Paris
    • Inquisitor Troi
    • de Neuf
    • Admiral Riker
    • Mirror Picard
  • Options

For me, Locutus adds more to my team than Guinan. With Guinan, I average 761 across all 15 skill pairs and with Locutus I average 769. I suppose you could consider using both, but their strengths overlap a lot (both have DIP/SEC and both have a high DIP score) so the average team strength actually goes down no matter how I slice it.

My gauntlet team ("normal" team bolded). Others get used if their traits are matched:
    • Kahless
    • Assimilated La Forge
    • Gangster Spock
    • Mirror Phlox
    • Locutus
    • Guinan
    • Gowron
    • Delta Flier Paris
    • Inquisitor Troi
    • de Neuf
    • Admiral Riker
    • Mirror Picard

Agreed. We're starting to reach the point that there are enough "Gauntlet" characters that captains can be successful with a diverse group of crew - and not dependent on one or two crew members.

In my experience, if I can count on everyone bringing Guinan, what advantage does it give me to also bring Guinan? I've found more success bringing Defensive Phlox or Inquisitor Troi, all percentages being equal.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    At the op: if you still need a guinan, you’re in luck! The voyage Guinan isn’t going anywhere...
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

• Kahless
    • Assimilated La Forge
    • Gangster Spock
    • Mirror Phlox
    • Locutus
    • Guinan
    • Gowron
    • Delta Flier Paris
    • Inquisitor Troi
    • de Neuf
    • Admiral Riker
    • Mirror Picard

Agreed. We're starting to reach the point that there are enough "Gauntlet" characters that captains can be successful with a diverse group of crew - and not dependent on one or two crew members.

In my experience, if I can count on everyone bringing Guinan, what advantage does it give me to also bring Guinan? I've found more success bringing Defensive Phlox or Inquisitor Troi, all percentages being equal.

The advantage in bringing Guinan to a room full of Guinan's is that you're at least on an equal footing. I don't always bring her all the time because my roster has changed (got MITroi, MPhlox got buffed) but she'll usually get a spot because her DIP is strong and her DIP/MED is frightening and stable even at 2 levels of fatigue.

It will be interesting to see who's next. Locutus is the only Gauntlet necessity that I have and I'm wondering if that will change.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    For me, Locutus adds more to my team than Guinan.

Fair enough, and never have I argued otherwise. Again, Locutus is the best Gauntlet character in the game. Dismissing Guinan's value because she cannot quite keep up with the #1 is a ridiculous standard to set.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the op: if you still need a guinan, you’re in luck! The voyage Guinan isn’t going anywhere...

I've always hated Andorians.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough, and never have I argued otherwise. Again, Locutus is the best Gauntlet character in the game. Dismissing Guinan's value because she cannot quite keep up with the #1 is a ridiculous standard to set.

But the problem is she fills a similar role as Locutus, so you HAVE to compare the two. If you have both, you just end up not using her that often.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I have so many dip med for gauntlet I rarely use her. She's very good of course, but not so much better than many others. I wanted her for the character as she was in the heart of the best parts of Next Gen which is my favorite.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options

But the problem is she fills a similar role as Locutus, so you HAVE to compare the two. If you have both, you just end up not using her that often.

Personally, I wouldn’t pass on a Galaxy class starship just because I already have a Sovereign parked at home :smile: I don’t have Locutus, so I can’t remember the last time Guinan didn’t make my team. I would imagine she would still see some use in DIP or MED Gauntlets. But I can see how having the best card in the game would shift the perspective about the fifth best.
  • Options

Personally, I wouldn’t pass on a Galaxy class starship just because I already have a Sovereign parked at home :smile: I don’t have Locutus, so I can’t remember the last time Guinan didn’t make my team. I would imagine she would still see some use in DIP or MED Gauntlets. But I can see how having the best card in the game would shift the perspective about the fifth best.

Players don't get that their experience might be not typical or at the very least different than other players
    "what do you mean yo don't have Locutus? I have 6. You need MED? Just go buy Defensive Phlox......duh.

You are correct. If the board is supposed to be place for information then telling other potential players that a top 1% card is "nothing special" is inaccurate.