Home Make It So!
Options

Temporary Dismissals - Just curious...

Does anyone else who has 225 full slots temporarily dismiss their crew to allow for Cadet Challenges, then re-instate them? Forgive me if a similar topic has been posted.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If you have immortalised them you cannot dismiss/airlock them, its only possible to cryo them.
    In theory if they are not immortal you can dismiss them then re-instate them, but the window of freedom time is very small maybe a few hours, so yes you could do cadet challenges in that time, but you would need to make sure you have those slots back soon so that you don't lose them forever. It's a bit too risky if you ask me.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    I've been doing it for months, airlock 3 unleveled crew, unfreeze the weekend ladies before daily reset, do the Saturday cadet challenges, wait reset, do the Sunday cadet challenges, freeze, bring back oxygen deprived unleveled crew. it's expensive, 500 merits, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    I also do it whenever I get new 2*-3* crew from events, airlock one, bring new crew in the crew quarters, immortalize, freeze, bring back another crew, and if I don't have enough resources to do it, then I have to reset the countdown of the airlocked crew every 4 hours until I can make space. happened from time to time that someone didn't make it, in the vacuum of space I didn't hear them gasp...
    If you want to take it to the extreme, you can have as many crew slots you want this way, the fact the you will lose sanity in the process is a detail, but anyway with all the timers we have to set for this game it's not a big deal
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I have found it is easier to just accept that a portion of my crew slots are dedicated for cadets, and then the remainder are available for others. I realize this limits my flexibility to be able to do any cadet mission on any given day, but I have worked it down to where I am keeping a total of 8 cadets active - that is, this includes both 2* and 3* crew. With these 8 I am able to complete my cadet challenges all 7 days of the week, plus compete in the Commander Division of the Arena.
  • Options
    Yeah 225 sound like plenty of room to me... You can get away with just 3(!) 3*'s to pass almost all Sa *and* Su missions on Epic (search the forum, therer are a few threads about that), and usually 4-5 cadets are plenty for Mo-Fr to get all the important items with otherwise horrible (or non-existing) drop rates. Note that these cadets and 3*'s will not be enough, if you are still hunting for mission stars.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it many times back during times of tight crew slots. Had to budget enough merits to unfreeze cadets each day too. Also had to carefully select a crew member that I would not mind losing if I accidentally forgot to reinstate them. Now all 1-2-3 stars are immortal and I took advantage of the last round of crew slot sales so it's not a nessessity for me at the moment, but the "virtual crew slot" technique is great as long as you remember to get your cadet challanges finished and the cadets back on ice before the 4-hour reinstatement window passes. Also be cautious about other crew you might want to keep in overflow (after events etc). If you need the crew space, go for it.
  • Options
    At this point, I'm questioning whether there's any reason to not let us warp cadet missions.

With the new cryostasis vault features, you could even enable cadet-mission warping in a rather obvious fashion. Create five new Cryostasis Collection categories (Starfleet 2*, alien 2*, female 2*, alien 3*, female 3*), and add the ability to warp cadet missions based on filling them up; immortalizing 1/3 of the category would you to warp Normal cadet missions for that category, immortalizing 2/3 would let you warp Elite, and immortalizing the whole category would let you warp Epic. The main technical complication would be adding all the fiddly conditions to the "can you warp this mission or not" check.

I suppose DB still wants to sell us crew slots for dilithium and VP, though, so... eh.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mithiwithi wrote: »
    At this point, I'm questioning whether there's any reason to not let us warp cadet missions.

@Mithiwithi - FYI, there are numerous previous threads already in these forums regarding this topic.