Home The Bridge
Options

The Disappointment of Guinan

This is a thread about not getting a Guinan. I've played Timelines since the very beginning. I have a lot of great crew members and I worked hard for most of them. What I don't have is even a single Guinan.

I played the Gauntlet all day (well, every refresh), every day, trying to get a Guinan. Over 8500 total rounds, countless streaks, countless top finishes. Over time, my disappointment grew as I stared down increasingly large Walls-of-Guinan, still unable to get one for myself. Now the chance has passed and my disappointment is deep. Every time I see the Wall-of-Guinan, it rubs salt in the wound.

Now the Caretaker has taken over the role of Great Disappointer and I am having trouble even wanting to try. With Guinan, at least I have several other medical crew members who might have a chance, with the right skill pair, to defeat her. But nothing on my vast crew of 90 FE golds and 160 FE purples can hold a candle to the Caretaker's engineering roll. The signs are clear: this failure will be a bigger disappointment than the last.

It's not for lack of effort, lack of skill, or lack of crew that I didn't get a Guinan. It's because I'm playing a game whose sole mechanic is the RNG.

I'm ready to stop playing the Gauntlet entirely. My only fear is that with each part of the game I stop playing, I come one step closer to quitting entirely. Nevertheless, I'm ready to boycott the Caretaker and the Gauntlet.

Comments

• Options
    Timelines is run by Ferengi. This whole game is just a big Dabo wheel.

But keep trying. I guarantee that every round of gauntlet you boycott was another bonus card you missed out on. You only don't win the rounds you actually play.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played since day one.

Played Gauntlet every day.

I don't have a Locutus.

Hey-ho. Sometimes life throws you lemons. You can dwell on it or make lemonade.

At least you can say you will get Locutus if you make it to 20k rounds of Gauntlet played.
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭

I don't have a Locutus.

Guinan was available twice as long as Locutus was.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, kinda tough when your fleetmates are reporting their Nth copy and you start to wonder what you're doing wrong. :) (Full disclosure I ended with 3)
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 4 Guinans. I didn't do the Gauntlet for Guinan. I do the Gauntlet for Chrons, Premium Pulls and sweet, sweet 5* Equipment. I got Geordi's Toolbox! And a 5* Stem Bolt! Twice!
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    This is not life giving lemons...it’s rehab...these are odds so impossibly tilted to the house the most addicted chronic gambler can be cured.
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    They really need to add the retired gauntlet cards to the honor hall as additonal 100k cards so new players and incredibly unlucky players can obtain them once they are out of the gauntlet.

This is a great suggestion. I'm not certain I would spend 100k on Guinan, but I would greatly appreciate the option.
  • Options
    Clone 7 wrote: »
    They really need to add the retired gauntlet cards to the honor hall as additonal 100k cards so new players and incredibly unlucky players can obtain them once they are out of the gauntlet.

This is a great suggestion. I'm not certain I would spend 100k on Guinan, but I would greatly appreciate the option.

Seconded.

I did mange a Locutus before the first change, but like you Clone 7, I have no Guinan. I am, despite my initial desire to say to ---- with the Gauntlet, going to soldier forth for the purpose of 1) getting much needed materials mentioned in an earlier post and 2) wanting to be a part of that wall of Caretakers so as not to succumb to it so easily myself. I wish you luck as you decide what to do.
  • Options
    Zero guinan, zero locutus. 7000 gauntlet rounds played.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did well with Guinan -- got three copies. But played just as hard during Locutus' reign, and he never dropped for me. I face that wall of Locutus often, so I feel your pain.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Guinan drops are not truly random. I also suspect that only certain players have any chance of a drop at all (maybe a range of account IDs?) Can I prove it? Nope. But that is what my gut tells me. Something is definitely fishy about it, and I'm guessing there are very few players that would argue that point (but knowing these forums, some dude who just airlocked his 237th guinan is going to tell me how it's all working perfectly.)
  • Options
    I'll add my voice to this thread. I'm 5560 rounds in, without Locutus or Guinan. I understand that RNG can be funky sometimes, but I feel the distribution is skewed. There shouldn't be so many people with FF Locutus and FF Guinan running around when there are many, many more of those without any.

I feel your chance of dropping The Gold from Gauntlet should decrease with each additional one you get, thereby spreading the love a little.
  • Options
    kobakoba ✭✭✭
    I think odds are good, but whole system is unbalanced. There should be implemented the same system than in the Galaxy events rare item crafting - if you not craft them the probability of getting them increase slightly. Someone still could have bad luck, but there would be high probability that he would get at least one with 8k rounds completed.
    Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault
  • Options
    The Problem here is that the rewards are Random.
    Why do you not instead get a special type of currency for your Performance in the Gaunlet?
    Then you can go to a reward shop and buy yourself what you want.
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    The Problem here is that the rewards are Random.
    Why do you not instead get a special type of currency for your Performance in the Gaunlet?
    Then you can go to a reward shop and buy yourself what you want.

I like that idea a lot. So an equivalent of the honour store
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd 100% buy a Locutus for 100K so I love this idea
  • Options

Im sure i will not win any popularity contests with this, but i like the idea of having chracters that are available for a limited time and then they are gone. If you get them great, if not, look to the next one. I think they should put out more limited time characters. I think it would make them special, and if they put out more of them, of would make you look forward to trying for the next one of you didnt get the last.
    I did get a guinan, but never got locutus in the 8000 rounds i tried for him.im glad he is a reward for the achievments, but if he wasnt, id be ok with it. He would be that much more special of a crew card.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

Im sure i will not win any popularity contests with this, but i like the idea of having chracters that are available for a limited time and then they are gone. If you get them great, if not, look to the next one. I think they should put out more limited time characters. I think it would make them special, and if they put out more of them, of would make you look forward to trying for the next one of you didnt get the last.
    I did get a guinan, but never got locutus in the 8000 rounds i tried for him.im glad he is a reward for the achievments, but if he wasnt, id be ok with it. He would be that much more special of a crew card.

I don't have a problem with limited time cards, however they should be achievable by everybody not the result of random chance
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread title, it sounds like the name of a Star Trek spinoff movie...

lyxz0cmu5osh.jpg

This deserves more than an "awesome".
  • Options

I don't have a Locutus.

I have 2 profiles on the game.
    Main profile: 0x Locutus, 3x Guinans
    Auxiliary Profile: 1x Locutus: 2x Guinans

I got Locutus on the main profile buying 3 o 4 650 Dilithium 10xBorg Pack.
    I inmortalized Guinan on the Main profile with the 25 USD (expensive) double offer and 1 citation.

If I can tell anyone a good advice, that is, there are 2 aproaches to obtaining the prize:
    1) Play long winning rounds, you play few rounds per gauntlet and don't get to the top, but open many good chests and really few rounds
    2) Play all you can and try to reach 3, 6 o 9 victories in a row, I earn most of my prizes there, and finally have a lots of rounds played and never used dilithium since I realized that winning a Gauntlet does not guarantee anyone THE prize, but I used Dilithium before knowing this.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I see this thread title, it sounds like the name of a Star Trek spinoff movie...

lyxz0cmu5osh.jpg

9qtusxsjxxsh.jpeg
  • Options
    RabbRabb ✭✭
    I felt very hard-done to when it took me 3300 rounds to get my first Guinan. The main 8-10 players in my fleet all got their first before 2000 rounds, one got 4/5 before 4000. and 5/5 a while after. I finally got my fourth at just over 10k rounds a few weeks ago.
    Another friend who ignored Gauntlet until I pushed them into it got Guinan on the last day available, just before 2000 rounds. 2000 did seem our fleet average per G., but that may just be the ones talking about it.

This post really made me appreciate my 3300 round start a whole lot more.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 1000 dilemmas you will get a Guinan ... a Fierce Guinan. :) At least a Guinan! :D
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options

lyxz0cmu5osh.jpg

Too good! Thats almost worth 16,000 rounds and counting without a legendary character from gauntlet.

• Options
    [TFA] A$AP[TFA] A$AP ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well... I've got 5 Guinans (most of them from low streaks). On the other hand, I couldn't get a single Locutus when he was the Gauntlet prize. We can't have it all, can we?
    "
    Join TFA II now.