Home The Bridge
Options

When do we get Surak?

When are we getting Surak, the Kaylesshhh 100k honor replacement?

To be clear, my money is all in on Surak.

Comments

• Options
    Soon 3o9wopt38ide.png
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi <insert name>,

I know your father died, but we have this video game and we'd like to include his likeness in it. When during your grieving would you like to set up an appointment with our lawyers to approve your fathers likeness so a bunch of random Star Trek fans who don't care about your father can buy a card that looks like a character he played once.

Would you like to send that letter?
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Hi <insert name>,

I know your father died, but we have this video game and we'd like to include his likeness in it. When during your grieving would you like to set up an appointment with our lawyers to approve your fathers likeness so a bunch of random Star Trek fans who don't care about your father can buy a card that looks like a character he played once.

If that's the issue maybe they could use the TOS Surak? A Surak is a Surak

uaqs34o57zz1.png
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

And actually the TOS one would be interesting insofar as he would be part of the Excaliban set, from which we get Abe Lincoln and Yarnek.

I didn't think about that! That would be awesome!
  • Options
    NeemsNeems ✭✭✭
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

That man is also dead (although significantly less recently so) and they've expressed having trouble securing rights to the decease before (TOS Mudd comes to mind).
  • Options
    Neems wrote: »
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

That man is also dead (although significantly less recently so) and they've expressed having trouble securing rights to the decease before (TOS Mudd comes to mind).

Aaah yeah that's fair enough then.

Seems to me they should either give is a different Honor Hall character OR

Just make non-Canon artwork for Surak. I mean they have the rights to the character itself right? I don't really care about non-canon artwork if its the only way we can get Surak.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

Just make non-Canon artwork for Surak. I mean they have the rights to the character itself right? I don't really care about non-canon artwork if its the only way we can get Surak.

Non-cannon just means you didn't have to pay writers for the right to use their character. You still would have to compensate the actors for use of their image.
  • Options
    The Great GornholioThe Great Gornholio ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

Non-cannon just means you didn't have to pay writers for the right to use their character. You still would have to compensate the actors for use of their image.

That's what I'm saying.... don't use the actors image. Use some random Vulcan and called it Surak for all I care
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    He meant non-actor specific artwork. They have the rights to Surak in general, so if they hire an artist to create a generic vulcan male, then there is no actor to approve because it looks like no one specifically.
  • Options
    He meant non-actor specific artwork. They have the rights to Surak in general, so if they hire an artist to create a generic vulcan male, then there is no actor to approve because it looks like no one specifically.

Exactly! If the image is the only holdup then work around it
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

They really need to hire better lawyers or something as this is the first game that I've been in that has had that much trouble with deceased actors images, unless they were an actual known star.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

They really need to hire better lawyers or something as this is the first game that I've been in that has had that much trouble with deceased actors images.

Lol im with @Pallidyne on this one. I don't recall seeing this may image issues in ANYTHING else
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many other games have you played using likenesses from actors who performed years ago before including any of this was common in contracts. There is nothing DB can do. If the actor's original contract with Paramount didn't include the right to relicense their likeness, then CBS can't sell that to DB, and DB has to get approval from the actor or estate.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the uproar in this community even with non-cannon things that look like one of the characters? Imagine the reaction when they just create a new face for an actual character.
  • Options

Have you seen the uproar in this community even with non-cannon things that look like one of the characters? Imagine the reaction when they just create a new face for an actual character.

What if they were told it's this or no Surak? Rage either way and I'd rather have Surak lol
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many other games have you played using likenesses from actors who performed years ago before including any of this was common in contracts. There is nothing DB can do. If the actor's original contract with Paramount didn't include the right to relicense their likeness, then CBS can't sell that to DB, and DB has to get approval from the actor or estate.

Few of them have been RPG's but when looking small time wasters to earn on things like Applike and similar apps I have played slots games etc, with dead actors images (touched up art wise similar to Timelines) though I have not seen much activity in the RPG/character collecting arena. The Wizard of Oz slots are a good example as Judy Garland and her supporting cast is clearly who is represented there, as the artwork is not really what Baum had in his books, but is a duplicate of the DVD cover as well as a dead ringer for Garland.

• Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the problem on releasing it, then why not push him back to the next gauntlet cycle, and put out a different crew?
  • Options
    Hi <insert name>,

Fair enough, although I would point out this is all for a "digital card" not a physical card. May seem more insulting, however digital is everlasting (or at least far more so).

Good comments in the thread!
  • Options
    My guy twisted Surak in knots...ysam77rtqaew.png
  • Options
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

There are other crew that have appeared whose actors have since deceased (the tos Klingons come to mind as well as David Marcus).

Being deceased doesn’t seem to disqualify by itself.

Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi <insert name>,

uaqs34o57zz1.png

There are other crew that have appeared whose actors have since deceased (the tos Klingons come to mind as well as David Marcus).

Being deceased doesn’t seem to disqualify by itself.

In the recent Mega Event, there was Ambassador Shras, with an actor who has been dead since the 90s.

And TOS so appeared in Trek before the standardization of contracts listed above.

I'm betting it's coming down to cash. Some estates are probably looking for more green for the use of the likeness than DB is willing to or able to pay. (This is pure speculation on my part)

I wonder if the estates would be responsive to respectful requests from fans?
  • Options
    What's a Canyon, I mean Cannon, I mean Canna, oh forget it!
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's canon, dammit, canon, not cannon you twits!
    ZEBONAIR wrote: »

Quick, @DScottHewitt , show 'em the badge!
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's canon, dammit, canon, not cannon you twits!
    ZEBONAIR wrote: »

Quick, @DScottHewitt , show 'em the badge!

I wanted to post Canon but was edited to *chocolate cronuts* because of copyright issues...

y1a1yisyv5xd.jpeg