Home The Bridge

Theory on Purple Characters in voyages

[NDQ]Azzi[NDQ]Azzi ✭✭
edited March 2018 in The Bridge
bwba9at5mk8l.png

I haven't gotten many purples lately. Suddenly today, I got 3 by 6h30m. I've seen this steak of luck before so I pressed on with a refill. Now I've got 2 more!

Could there be a "green bar" for character rewards in voyages, similar to the green bar seen during event for the Rare Item reward? I'm going to press on one more dilemma I think to see if I get any more purples.

Edit: just got Mirror Jonathan Archer. Considering extending one more time to hit 12+

Edit2: since coming to post the above edit, I went back and saw I'd got Civil War Worf!
28bf4nv2kiwo.png

Edit3: final count, 9 purples in about 13 hours, 2 being earned via dilemma
imb8j248k9f0.png
nt21gjgj4fr1.png

Comments

• They seem to come in “clumps” for me also. I rarely get a random one between Dilemmas, when I do it’s 3 or more.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    They seem to come in “clumps” for me also. I rarely get a random one between Dilemmas, when I do it’s 3 or more.

I would agree. Once I get one "seed", I will usually see one or two more (don't usually do extended voyages).
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Related: This may just be observation bias, but I feel like purples on voyages tend to lean somewhat towards unfinished purples you already have.

Yeah, I get the random new purple too, but I've managed to FF at least a half-dozen or more 3/4s, like Dr. Crusher, Civil War Worf and Detective Dixon Hill strictly from voyage drops. That's a pretty large pool of super rares to pull from to get the one I need with good consistency.

Anyone else notice this?
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related: This may just be observation bias, but I feel like purples on voyages tend to lean somewhat towards unfinished purples you already have.

Yeah, I get the random new purple too, but I've managed to FF at least a half-dozen or more 3/4s, like Dr. Crusher, Civil War Worf and Detective Dixon Hill strictly from voyage drops. That's a pretty large pool of super rares to pull from to get the one I need with good consistency.

Anyone else notice this?

No. The amount of new 4*'s I receive is roughly proportional to the amount I need. Its probably about 20-25% chance of getting something I need.

I do expect a couple of troll drops though. I buy a pack to get David Marcus for the vault. Get Marcus. Voyages promptly give me a couple copies of him a week or two later. I fully expect Shakaar to drop for me sometime next week. This is not paranoia. Rilly.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • I've seen this clumping. Best strat? If you have dilithium to spare and you see one or two purps, consider extending that voyage since you may likely get a lot more on that run than usual.
  • Related: This may just be observation bias, but I feel like purples on voyages tend to lean somewhat towards unfinished purples you already have.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I seem to get a higher percentage of useful purples than I should from voyages. Or it just seems that way.
  • NeemsNeems ✭✭✭
    Related: This may just be observation bias, but I feel like purples on voyages tend to lean somewhat towards unfinished purples you already have.

Anyone else notice this?

You may just be lucky. I tend to get people I already have Immortalized.

Anyone else notice this?

Question is, is this because it takes into account what we have or simply that these characters were less frequent throughout the game and they put more in the voyages to compensate?

I'd say I get as many new characters as ones that need completion. Also a lot of doubles.
    Admiral of the Québec Alliance Fleet. Joignez-vous à nous.
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I too have seen the phenomena where many Voyages will not drop any purple crew, and then occasionally some will gives out multiples in the 6 - 8 hours range.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that there may be a random chance getting more of a particular kind of reward than others. There will be voyages that age heavy on crew, chrons, rep rats, trainers, or cash but rarely more than one at a time.
  • My voyages are usually up to 7:30 hours and I start getting purples only if the 3rd dilemma drops the first one. Those I extend sometimes.
    And even other colors tend to come in a streak, if any drops on activities, then there's 1-2 more after it.
  • mycroc wrote: »
    bwba9at5mk8l.png

I haven't gotten many purples lately. Suddenly today, I got 3 by 6h30m. I've seen this steak of luck before so I pressed on with a refill. Now I've got 2 more!

Could there be a "green bar" for character rewards in voyages, similar to the green bar seen during event for the Rare Item reward? I'm going to press on one more dilemma I think to see if I get any more purples.

Edit: just got Mirror Jonathan Archer. Considering extending one more time to hit 12+

Edit2: since coming to post the above edit, I went back and saw I'd got Civil War Worf!
    28bf4nv2kiwo.png

Edit3: final count, 9 purples in about 13 hours, 2 being earned via dilemma
    imb8j248k9f0.png
    nt21gjgj4fr1.png

What "Voyages" are you playing? Because after 8 hours I have only had 1 purple maximum since they nuked Voyages. This is the best RNG voyage I have ever seen since it's launch when this was normal for 8 hours.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that there may be a random chance getting more of a particular kind of reward than others. There will be voyages that age heavy on crew, chrons, rep rats, trainers, or cash but rarely more than one at a time.

I've seen this too.
    I wonder if it's based on the Voyage skill Primary/ Secondary Combo and the power we put into then.

(Ex Command medical drops fewer crew but gives way more rations when 7000 crew strength is reached on both.. )

• al103al103 ✭✭✭
    All my 4-star drops were either on high-Dip or high-Com. Both before and after change. Take that as you will.
  • Just ended a 22 hour stint and only ended up with 5 x 4-star's. Only one of which came at a dilemma all other dilemmas were mainly 2 star and only a few 3 star.... probably one of the worst voyages I've had. primarily DIP was 10k+ and secondary CMD was 9k
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I’m up to 40 hours and most of the 16 fours are ones I have FF. I have 2 new ones and also Jannar and Fierce Guinan. It seems I’ve been having to do one refill every dilemma which is fine. Last one was 525 dil so I probably won’t get to 73 hours if it increases too high. I wanted to try a marathon voyage just for fun.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    al103 wrote: »
    All my 4-star drops were either on high-Dip or high-Com. Both before and after change. Take that as you will.

That is an interesting observation. My current voyage is Dip/Com. I currently have 3 super rares. However I didn't get them until after refilling at around 7:40 (I only refilled because I forgot to set an alarm and ran out of AM.) I'm also not running my best voyage crew ATM because I'm using my best crew for the current event. I went back and looked at the screenshot of my best haul on a voyage when I got 7 super rares without a refill (~7:30), but it was a Sec/Eng voyage. I'm pretty strong in both of those too, so it's POSSIBLE that the strength of your primary/secondary voyage skills could be a factor in super rare drops. However, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. It could be just a RNG fluke, but it may be something worth paying attention to going forward.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a lot of purples. I had one with three so renewed it with dil then didnt get any more purples. They do seem to clump though.
    Let’s fly!
  • bmucunjje9wk.png

I don't know about coming in clumps but I can attest to if they don't come early they probably won't come at all. I went for the 20 hour achievement and didn't get any purples. In fact, since the nerf I rarely see purples.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gwilli-ak wrote: »
    I went for the 20 hour achievement and didn't get any purples. In fact, since the nerf I rarely see purples.

When I went for the 20 hour achievement this week I got 9 purples. So no nerf, just the typical RNG used in this game. And a certain streakyness. Like you said with this if they don´t come early. Cause the same goes with replicator rations for me. Sometimes zero, sometimes they flow nicely...

• FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 hours and not one super rare ?
    That's total Bull Garnish.
  • Gwilli-ak wrote: »
    bmucunjje9wk.png

I don't know about coming in clumps but I can attest to if they don't come early they probably won't come at all. I went for the 20 hour achievement and didn't get any purples. In fact, since the nerf I rarely see purples.

Wow... I guess I should be happy with the 5 I got...
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • I would say I'm green with envy, but my blood is already green, so... ;)

My own experience has been that I rarely get purples to finish characters. I nearly always get immortalised characters or new 1*s.
    "There are two types of beings in the universe - those who dance, and those who do not."
  • You are only very lucky Mycroc !!!

This last weeks i become a 4* every 6 or 7 voyages only, with primary and secondary stats between 7k and 10k so i never use dilithium to continue voyage, also when i miss the return.
  • KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    At least voyages should keep count of our existing crew. It will be a nice way of spending dilithium in game.