Home The Bridge

Isn't is time we actually had some Fleet centric events?

In many other massively multiplayer games of a similar nature, at least some of the events actually involve Guilds/Factions/Orders/Fleets working together competitively. There are times I miss that aspect in this game, and I do have to wonder why we don't have something similar in STT.

I feel that most of the mechanics are already there, to be honest. We could have a simple Fleet vs Fleet events where we fight using either ship battles or maybe something using the Gauntlet battle mechanics.

In my experience of these games, the more incentive you provide to make the 'guilds' actually work together, and the more users get to know their teammates and look out for each other and discuss strategy, the longer people remain active playing the game.

What do you think?

Comments

• S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    You could also have a tournament system whereby fleets are randomly assigned a rival fleet and given galaxy type missions, shuttle missions, arena missions etc and the admiral could allocate each crew member to a specific task/ team. This would require teamwork, cooperation, strategy etc and the mechanics do indeed already exist. I believe the game will go in this direction.... the winning fleets could proceed to the next phase against a new rival until there is a winner.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large fleets would benefit too much from this, I think. I am in a large fleet, but it should be something that would also be fun for smaller fleets to get a decent reward out.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Itwould be pretty easy to bracket fleets based on both size and starbase rooms completed

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be nice to have Fleet rewards, rather than just squadrons (and while we are on the subject make squadron rewards actually worth caring about).

Maybe based on your fleet position you could win components to add to your starbase and extra honour
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    I think it would be nice to have Fleet rewards, rather than just squadrons (and while we are on the subject make squadron rewards actually worth caring about).
    Squadron rewards are open to abuse (people leaving squadrons when they aren't crafting in a galaxy event) so I suspect this is the reason that they haven't looked into it but I agree, it would be nice if the squadrons bonuses meant something (mabye disable the leave/join squadron buttons during an event, or have a 24hr cool-down period??)

It would be nice to have a fleet/squadron bonus based on ranking even if its just a passive one like increased chrono recharge rate for 2 days after the event or something. Rep rations are so stingy and pointless since voyages the squad bonuses need tweaking.

Jim

DB: Do Better
  • Stellar IceStellar Ice ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wholeheartedly in favor of fleet rewards for events. I think it would increase DB's revenue overall and foster more teamwork within fleets. Oh, and can that come with a fleet leader board in game too? Please? Pretty please DB?
    The VIP 0 Heroes and VIP 0 Champions are looking for like-minded fellow VIP 0 players to join our family of fleets. Please contact me here or on Discord.

Come join the Star Trek Timelines Discord Community!
    Invitation code: https://discord.gg/8Du7ZtJ
  • Fleet wars!
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
    Chief Security Officer
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
    All are welcome to join and use the Bot. (some restrictions apply to non-GoT members)
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erin alluded to something a LONG time ago where fleets could battle over control of a starbase, like Deep Space 9. but that apparently fell through the cracks or became unfeasible.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bracket type system, for fleets of 40-50, 30-39, 15-29, and 1-14. With nice rewards for both sides.
  • This is actually a good idea. If they did something like gauntlet or had ship battles with exhaustion per use for crew and the ability to use multiple ships things could get interesting.
  • Alternatively, I've been wondering if they could do a fleet-sized voyage activity.

Thinking like an expedition, several ships sent out collectively. If once a day once player contributed a ship focused on one of the six skills, then it could return and the entire fleet gets rewards commensurate with different levels sent out. Each player could have a cooldown of a 5-6 days, so the same beast players don't dominate.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don t need it, i don t miss it. If i wanna have fleet vs fleet fights, i can play a battle/combat game.

If it is some competition that doesn t requires fights, like suggested by some in here, i am ok with it. As long as it isn t game breaking, meaning lower players or players in lower/smaller fleets have an huge disadvantage, as it already is with starbase and individual skill boosts, that now can make a up to 15% status difference.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • I always liked the way Rival Kingdoms did Kingdom battles.

Each player has 5 lives to beat the best 10 opposing players (progress is saved ie you don't go back to player 1 if you die), with each victory being worth more 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 IIRC.

Number of players whose scores count is capped at the size of the smallest Kingdom.

This would open up a whole other set of rooms for Starbases to boost ship scores, and even the idea of base schematics to build famous locations.

Crew and ships would need to be rebalanced a lot better though.
  • Or just a new event period? Essentially we have 2 event types Galaxy and Faction. DB doesn't do expeditions anymore and a hybrid has no different style of game play. I love that squad leaders can share crew with squad in factions, let's expand on that, let me help my squad get better scores and grow stronger.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don t need it, i don t miss it. If i wanna have fleet vs fleet fights, i can play a battle/combat game.

If it is some competition that doesn t requires fights, like suggested by some in here, i am ok with it. As long as it isn t game breaking, meaning lower players or players in lower/smaller fleets have an huge disadvantage, as it already is with starbase and individual skill boosts, that now can make a up to 15% status difference.

Yeah, I mean I like the camaraderie in this game with fleets, but I am so tired of multiplayer battle type games. This game balances it well enough (the top 1000 threshold in events is still an issue) but the arena nor the gauntlet feel like an onslaught that is a common feeling in MMO games.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Fleet wars!

5chf0jaoyode.jpg
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer