Home Ready Room
Options

Honor Burning a Hole in My Figurative Pocket

As of now, I have 268,226 honor points. I've been saving since the Kahless purchase in anticipation of a new Honor Hall gem. However, as much as I like TNG as a show and their associated crew, I can't get behind the Beverly Picard purchase. I'm pretty solid on gauntlet MED, and she doesn't really offer "special" 5* crew stats. Because of this, I've now got all this honor, and I'm appealing to the masses as to the best way to spend it. There's a couple of scenarios that I've considered, but there's a few things I DON'T need.

1. Replicator rations. Voyages pretty much take care of that.
2. Beholds. I don't want to risk the "all FF/FE" behold phenomenon that has been flooding the forums recently.
3. Trainers. I don't think anyone needs them anymore.

Having said that, we're left with 4* and 5* citations. I desperately wish that there were other methods for acquiring these, but for the time being, buying them is the only option. Considering this, I feel that I'm down to a few options that seem acceptable, although the best solution escapes me. Short of listing all of my 4* and 5* crew here, it may be difficult for others to help me, but I'm really just looking for general advice. My considered options:

1. This amount of honor is nearly enough for 15 4* citations. I have 10 4* crew that can be immediately immortalized with these, and the others can go to FF other 4* crew. Although if said immortalized crew then goes to the freezer, what's the point of using a citation on them other than to just get them out of the way?

2. I have Borg Queen, Cornwell, and T'Kuvma with 4/5*, and Mirror T'Pol and Commander Kira Nerys with 3/5*. Adding another star to these crew would probably be extremely helpful for voyages. In addition, I have 2/5* Protomorphosis Barclay. I noticed that he's been one of the better 5* crew to come out recently, and adding a third star to him may be helpful in the future. My other 5* crew will just have to languish on my roster with 1 or 2 stars for the remainder of time.

3. Some combination of 5* and 4* citations.

If there is a crew member that anyone thinks is particularly useful to have FF/FE, I could use the input. My general rule for 4* crew is to only keep crew with (or the potential to have) at least one stat over 800. I'm sure there have been similar issues going around, so if anyone has come to a decision, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions. Also, if anyone can come up with a compelling argument for me to get Beverly Picard, it probably wouldn't be too hard of a sell.

tl;dr - Use my 268,226 honor for a few 5* citations, a bunch of 4* citations, or a combination of both?
"I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!

Comments

• Options
    Borg Queen, Cornwell, and T'Kuvma - great increase in stats from 4/5* to 5/5*, and won't drop in beholds or packs if I'm not mistaken.
    Otherwise it depends on what you need. A 4/4* could be way better than a 1/5*. Compare the stats and buy citations that bring the most.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you improve your voyage crew your less likely to require super rare citations if they drop, this is the way I'm thinking, so it would be worth putting a star on Cornwell and the Borg Queen I think, I think it is worth holding a citation in reserve for next Mega Event.
    So that's 150K the next is maybe to look at all recent event purples that are not yet in the portal and maybe consider finishing off 1 or 2 3/4s that way you won't be too far off the 100K mark.

Kudos for saving up, I buckled at 98K and cited Cornwell to immortalise her. Don't have any regrets in doing so though.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Cornwell for sure deserves a citation, top MED and unlikely to be released in portals. Not a fan of T'kuvmasmurf and hes only two skills.

BQ is useful but likely not going to repeat in an event any time soon.

On this basis, I would citate Cornwall first, then probably add stars to Barclay and Kira. 4* citations are a waste in my opinion, unless your crew quarters are overflowing as odds are you'll pick dupes up in the portal at some point

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Cornwell for sure deserves a citation, top MED and unlikely to be released in portals. Not a fan of T'kuvmasmurf and hes only two skills.

BQ is useful but likely not going to repeat in an event any time soon.

On this basis, I would citate Cornwall first, then probably add stars to Barclay and Kira. 4* citations are a waste in my opinion, unless your crew quarters are overflowing as odds are you'll pick dupes up in the portal at some point

Jim

I can hold off on the 4* crew, but there are so many 4* now that getting one of the 10 that I need on a premium or even pull is like finding a needle in a haystack. Just letting you know why I considered it. I do agree about Cornwell though. That's what I want, really. The most "bang for my buck" so to speak with these citations.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d recommend getting 5* citations to finish the Queen, Cornwell, and Barclay. None of them are terribly good in the gauntlet but all are shuttle/voyage monsters when FF’ed. If you were to maybe leave all three at 4/5* and use the remaining honor on purples it would kind of depend on which ones we’re talking about - if it’s one of the recently released crew that benefit from power creep (like Shras or Victorian Pulaski), it may be beneficial to finish them instead to provide additional voyage/shuttle assistance.

Also: there has been a lot of bellyaching about T’Kuvma’s lack of a third skill but I still use him every single day on shuttles and do use him on COM/SEC voyages and the rare gauntlet that matches his traits. If you immortalized him I am comfortable in guaranteeing you’ll get use out of him.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to go with 5* rarity first. Locutus, Guinan, Kahless, the mega-event five stars you can't get from the portal. Then voyage powerhouses, then collections.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you immortalized him I am comfortable in guaranteeing you’ll get use out of him.
    I know its not what you meant; but you could also free up a crew slot by freezing him! One time forgettable character for me.

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    If you immortalized him I am comfortable in guaranteeing you’ll get use out of him.
    I know its not what you meant; but you could also free up a crew slot by freezing him! One time forgettable character for me.

You’re not wrong. :smile: I couldn’t stand the character in the show, for much the same reason that my FF’ed Stamets and Landry are both sitting at level 1. I just can’t bring myself to freeze someone that is a solid contributor in multiple facets of the game, especially one who is a (nearly) free FF’ed legendary.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would cite Broccoli, Cornwell, and the Queen as well. They are Voyage gold. I also would never consider citing a 4*. Mirror Phlox is the only one that is not completely useless.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I would cite Broccoli, Cornwell, and the Queen as well. They are Voyage gold. I also would never consider citing a 4*. Mirror Phlox is the only one that is not completely useless.

I guess getting better crew for voyages will help me to get more 4* crew as rewards. Even though it's a long shot to get what I want, they're still free.

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess getting better crew for voyages will help me to get more 4* crew as rewards. Even though it's a long shot to get what I want, they're still free.

If they aren't the ones your looking for just add them to the next gold citation pile. I've nearly got my fill of 1/4s so now it's just a case of which ones get a second or 3rd star first and then it is discard the least favourite 1/4s
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a really good way to look at it. Voyages will eventually get you those four stars.

• Options
    I love hearing all this advice on spending honor. I usually use it for 5* trainers. Should I be saving the honor instead? How long does it take to get to level 100 without the trainers?

Curious now cause it would be nice to eventually FF my 5* crew.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Should I be saving the honor instead?
    Not really. First month or two trainers are more important because they allow to get to the level where you reliable get more trainers than you'll use. After you get good crew between shuttles and voyages you'll never have trainer problem. That said you may want to level ONLY best crew one or two at time, that way you'll reach trainer-positive faster and spend less honor on trainers.
    How long does it take to get to level 100 without the trainers?
    Not in any sane time.
  • Options
    Bella_PhoenixBella_Phoenix ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    al103 wrote: »
    Should I be saving the honor instead?
    Not really. First month or two trainers are more important because they allow to get to the level where you reliable get more trainers than you'll use. After you get good crew between shuttles and voyages you'll never have trainer problem. That said you may want to level ONLY best crew one or two at time, that way you'll reach trainer-positive faster and spend less honor on trainers.

Thanks! That was very helpful. I’m in the process of figuring out which of my crew are good for voyages so I can level up the right ones. I posted a discussion about it. It’s in the ready room. Any opinions would help.
  • Options

That’s a really good way to look at it. Voyages will eventually get you those four stars.

Only problem I see is that I feel like I'm wasting time waiting on a voyage drop when I could just use a citation now. It's a vicious cycle, although there's always someone who needs a star.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only problem I see is that I feel like I'm wasting time waiting on a voyage drop when I could just use a citation now. It's a vicious cycle, although there's always someone who needs a star.

But again, as you get more stars on legendaries you will see that super rares are useless

• Options
    I had enough honor saved for EMH Mk1 and his second star, Beverly Picard, and FF an FE 4*, for number 200. Still have about 20k honor.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

But again, as you get more stars on legendaries you will see that super rares are useless

I’d disagree with “useless”. There’s someone in my fleet with more than 420 unique immortals, and he still keeps a lot of super rares outside of the freezer.

Not to mention, newer super rares have better stats than many older legendaries due to the creep.

Plus, traits. Different traits provide different bonuses for things.

I’d agree that if you have many FFFE legendaries, several of your super rares will become superfluous, though.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d disagree with “useless”. There’s someone in my fleet with more than 420 unique immortals, and he still keeps a lot of super rares outside of the freezer.

Not to mention, newer super rares have better stats than many older legendaries due to the creep.

I’d agree that if you have many FFFE legendaries, several of your super rares will become superfluous, though.

I have all my crew on my raster, none in cryo. Mirror Phlox is the only one that comes up for use, but I will bow to your point in one way. I neglected the fact that they do come up as bonus crew

• Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all my crew on my raster, none in cryo. Mirror Phlox is the only one that comes up for use, but I will bow to your point in one way. I neglected the fact that they do come up as bonus crew

Out of curiosity more than anything else, how many 5* immortals do you have?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24. Several more at 4, 3, 2, and 1 star
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's already a lot of nuance in this discussion for the OP, but I'll add my 2 cents that Queen and Cornwell are immediately citation-worthy, especially if your focus is voyages. They fill up the stat sheet. After that, maybe I missed someone suggesting it, but you might consider just sitting on the rest for now. There's another mega-month coming up in April - put the citation on the gifted 5* in week 1 and reap the benefits all month long.
  • Options
    There's already a lot of nuance in this discussion for the OP, but I'll add my 2 cents that Queen and Cornwell are immediately citation-worthy, especially if your focus is voyages. They fill up the stat sheet. After that, maybe I missed someone suggesting it, but you might consider just sitting on the rest for now. There's another mega-month coming up in April - put the citation on the gifted 5* in week 1 and reap the benefits all month long.

I have half a mind to just wait and see what comes up next. Although several people have discussed citing Borg Queen and Cornwell. What do you think about adding a third star to Protomorphosis Barclay?