Home Make It So!

Steam app window sizes

So I see that the Steam app will only exist in certain window sizes. Trying to resize will snap to the nearest one of these.

I get that this is because the Steam app is just a basic port of the mobile version and mobile phones come in some fairly consistent screen ratios, but if it will continue to be this way it would be nice if there was a way to cycle through each of these sizes without trying to manually resize and hoping you get something workable. So far all I can get are sizes that either too large or too small for my liking.

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are talking about the Steam application for Windows, yes? I have no problem resizing the window (and making the ratio whatever I want).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • [TFA] A$AP[TFA] A$AP ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    You are talking about the Steam application for Windows, yes? I have no problem resizing the window (and making the ratio whatever I want).

Try using a Ultra Wide monitor and you will have to manually resize/adjust the game screen everytime you log in. Because full screen button make it into a ugly window at the center of the screen and the window mode get things even worst.

I've opened a thread in the Engineering section some days ago but got no response from DB about that issue. (https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4039/ultra-wide-monitor-x-steam)

Why not just make the game save the current window size settings so we won't have to manually adjust it every time?

"
    Join TFA II now.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [TFA] A$AP wrote: »

Try using a Ultra Wide monitor and you will have to manually resize/adjust the game screen everytime you log in. Because full screen button make it into a ugly window at the center of the screen and the window mode get things even worst.

I've opened a thread in the Engineering section some days ago but got no response from DB about that issue. (https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4039/ultra-wide-monitor-x-steam)

Why not just make the game save the current window size settings so we won't have to manually adjust it every time?

Yes, I do actually have to resize it every time I fire it up, and yes, I do wish it would save my settings for window size. It actually comes close until I click the "Play" in the lower right corner, and then the screen becomes huge.

• Data1001 wrote: »
    It actually comes close until I click the "Play" in the lower right corner, and then the screen becomes huge.
    Indeed. Same here.
    "
    Join TFA II now.
  • <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Well, I cannot. It "snaps" to what look like preset resolutions as I drag the corner of the window around. So maybe this is some kind of bug instead?
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Darxide wrote: »

Well, I cannot. It "snaps" to what look like preset resolutions as I drag the corner of the window around. So maybe this is some kind of bug instead?

Hmm. Maybe it's a Steam setting? Under Settings/Interface, there's something called "Start Steam in Big Picture Mode", which I have unchecked. Not sure if that has any bearing on it, but worth checking out.

Edit: Also, I'm on Windows 7. Just thinking that if you're on Windows 10, maybe that has something to do with it, as well.

• JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my Windows 10 tabby, the Steam STT window randumbly changes from fullscreen to maximized window and vice versa, making it hard to click buttomcorner buttons.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • I am having the same autonomous resizing issue running Steam on both a Win 7 and Win 10 desktop. Quite a pain in the arena when you try to cloak and the button moved!
    I tried with the "Start Steam in Big Picture Mode" with same results whether clicked or not.
  • DevroDevro ✭✭
    it's a mess. i stopped using steam and moved to nox. it's great.
  • <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    Devro wrote: »
    it's a mess. i stopped using steam and moved to nox. it's great.

I use Steam for the start of Faction Events because nothing can match the responsiveness of the Steam client, not even Nox. As long as the servers aren't lagging badly then the Steam client will let me get my opening Faction event strategy done as quickly as possible. The Steam client also launches a heck of a lot faster than Nox and has a much smaller footprint. In fact, my only complaint is that the Steam client doesn't support ads at all. If Steam supported Ad Warps then I'd never use Nox again.