Home Make It So!
Options

Item Counts

Just a quality of life thing but it would be good if any time we saw the icon for an item, whether it be in the mission rewards list, or in the build requirements for some equipment, we saw a count for how many of the item we currently have in our storage.
This would:
  • Allow us to pick cadet challenges based on items we need.
  • Allow us to pick shuttle missions based on items we need.
  • Allow us to avoid accidentally using the last of a rare item to equip one crew member when we would really have rathered to keep it aside for another crew member.

I'm sure other users might be able to think of other benefits to this.
At present we need to go to our item storage and manually check against each item we might get in a mission/shuttle or use in building a piece of equipment.
The obvious potential downside would be the additional bandwidth requirement of querying the user's storage for displaying these count values but I don't imagine this would amount to much.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I've been thinking the exact same thing.
  • Options
    Yes, a million times this.

I would also like to see who actually needs an item when I click on it. The current build assignments they show for what I can make with it is worthless most of the time.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting idea. I dig it!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about showing the count at all times in every instance that an equipment icon is shown, as that's a fair bit of clutter on screen (especially considering some item counts are in the thousands). Maybe just as a pop-up when you click on it?

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about showing the count at all times in every instance that an equipment icon is shown, as that's a fair bit of clutter on screen (especially considering some item counts are in the thousands). Maybe just as a pop-up when you click on it?

Well I think when your item counts get above a certain point most of us would be happy with just knowing that it's high, e.g. "100+".
    For this I was basically just thinking about it being a smallish white number either on the icon itself or just above/below it.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think when your item counts get above a certain point most of us would be happy with just knowing that it's high, e.g. "100+".
    For this I was basically just thinking about it being a smallish white number either on the icon itself or just above/below it.

Yeah, I guess I was imagining something similar — but I still think it would be enough clutter to be detrimental to the economy of one's view of the screen. In a similar way as the recently-added crew quarters overlays have been disagreeable to many players.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quality of life thing but it would be good if any time we saw the icon for an item, whether it be in the mission rewards list, or in the build requirements for some equipment, we saw a count for how many of the item we currently have in our storage.
    This would:
    • Allow us to pick cadet challenges based on items we need.
    • Allow us to pick shuttle missions based on items we need.
    • Allow us to avoid accidentally using the last of a rare item to equip one crew member when we would really have rathered to keep it aside for another crew member.

I'm sure other users might be able to think of other benefits to this.
    At present we need to go to our item storage and manually check against each item we might get in a mission/shuttle or use in building a piece of equipment.
    The obvious potential downside would be the additional bandwidth requirement of querying the user's storage for displaying these count values but I don't imagine this would amount to much.

Thanks

Amazing. Several of us have said similar, but you have phrased it brilliantly and comprehensively. This would be very helpful.
  • Options
    Yes! I'm missing this feature since game launch - to see how many of the item I already have when I click anywhere on it, a little number on the top of it, just like we can see how many of them we have/need when building an equipment.
    As this is implemented there already, there shouldn't be much additional bandwidth necessary to show its count elsewhere.
  • Options
    Yes, a million times over! It would be nice to see how many of each component and equipment I have when I click on that icon so I know if I need to run more missions or shuttles for them or not.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options
    This is much needed and thank you for expressing it so well, but I also agree with Data1001, that to avoid clutter I'd prefer to be able to click on the item to see my count, instead of it automatically displaying.

Related issue, I think we're long past due for being able to sort by quantity in the equipment inventory from lowest to highest & highest to lowest of an item, and by star value. Not even with a drop down menu, just one simple click like the skill pages of the wiki. I think that should also be the default inventory view, instead of the sort of random jumble.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I was imagining something similar — but I still think it would be enough clutter to be detrimental to the economy of one's view of the screen. In a similar way as the recently-added crew quarters overlays have been disagreeable to many players.

Posters here certainly seem to be favoring the idea of clicking on the item to reveal the number and I've realized a flaw in my thinking; sometimes in the build screens it will show a number on the components to indicate you need more than one (usually 2/3/4), doing the same here could lead to confusion.