Home Make It So!

Rolling event start/end time

Boxy McBoxfaceBoxy McBoxface ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Make It So!
So before you set the dumpsters on fire, hear me out

I'd like to propose a rolling event start and finish time to accommodate people outside the US timezones. For reference I'm in the AEST - so roughly 11hours ahead of DB time.

Some basics first:
Currently, events are starting at 3am (or 4am without DST) in the morning for me - I used to be able to deal with that, I did a quickstart and then sent out 9hr 4k shuttles - now that is no longer possible.

Anyone in this timezone is at a severe disadvantage, losing roughly 8x4k shuttles to everyone else as they at least have the option of building up their shuttles to 4k's before sleeping.

Obviously this is a generalization as not everyone is on the same schedule, but the majority are.

So with that in mind, here's my proposal:
Have multiple start and end times for the event spanning across a 12hr time period to accommodate all the timezones/schedules.

Something along the lines of (using my timezone as reference) 3am, 5am, 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm

Victory Points wise, nothing has to change, and it does add a little bit to strategy I guess as you could choose to start/finish later as you please. The only thing that might be needed is a 'time remaining' entry on the leaderboards to show if someone has finished their event or still has time to go.

Shared crew wise it would mean needing to add a ~6-12hr buffer before the event starts for those in alternate timezones to share crew with people in their squad, and would mean that shared crew is locked from being frozen/airlocked until the last event bracket has ended if you're in one of the earlier time brackets and a squadmate has that crew out on a shuttle.

Prizes would also need to be calculated at the end of the final bracket too.

Anyway, thoughts, concerns, comments about how I should HTFU, are appreciated

SSR Noob
Spoiler of spoils

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would make it mighty tricky to know how much you might need to "push" near the end of the event. And along the same lines, I should think it would give a distinct advantage to those who start the latest, as they'd know that they're in the final group, so they would have a much better idea of just how much of a rally they'd need in the last hours of the event.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Oh no doubt it would, I guess if they wanted to make it a bit fairer they could mask the scores so you'd only know your totals at the end (obviously except that you'd know your own rough score).

I'm just trying to find a way to even it out for everyone

SSR Noob
    Spoiler of spoils
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all agree more event rewards should be given out yes ?

Run The same event independently in 3 different time zones, every 8 hours.
    3 times as many players get to the to of the heap. Solves a lot of problems
  • arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭

II think this is the best idea I've heard for addressing 2 issues.
  • XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    So before you set the dumpsters on fire, hear me out

I like the way you outlined the timezone issue and proposed a solution that aimed at something that would work better for everyone. Reminds me of the efforts made to get the daily fleet targets to be collectable for people in different timezones.

+1 to something like this.
    We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
    Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.
  • I brought this query to DB's attention years ago, they assured me that while others are are asleep when I am playing and visaversa, except for us hardcore gamers that set our timers for every 1.5hrs or less 5 days straight. I'd like to show you my blood shot eyes but then you would get scared and never come back to play.
  • I truly doubt anything like this would ever happen. It would require DB to give out more free stuff and make events less competitive decreasing their profit per event. And that's what DB is all about, Profit!