Home The Bridge

Hippocrates Noah not a physician?

[SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
I get that he isn't actively practicing, but I kind of assumed that the guy named after the father of medicine was probably actually a doctor at some point.....

Comments

• NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    He might have just had a doctorate in chemistry. We don't know.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that it isn't canon one way or another, but I always assumed if he wasn't meant to be a medical doctor, they never would have named him hippocrates...
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    How will this affect the cryostasis "Do No Harm" collection?

Will those who have ten including him, lose the bonus?
    Will they be able to collect a second bonus when they go above ten again?
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    How will this affect the cryostasis "Do No Harm" collection?

Another thread with this same question, we definitely need an answer on this
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that it isn't canon one way or another, but I always assumed if he wasn't meant to be a medical doctor, they never would have named him hippocrates...

I just assumed they thought it'd be a fun/campy name to give to someone who was clearly not a medical doctor.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • How will this affect the cryostasis "Do No Harm" collection?

@Shan will hopefully answer this one before the change goes into effect so that those of us potentially impacted will know what to do.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The thing is, when it comes to the mechanics of the game, DOCTOR Hippocrates Noah is essentially a physician, even if it’s an evil, holographic one. Why? Because he has the Medical skill and has had the Doctor trait for quite some time. To me, this is another example of DB carelessly deciding to fix something that isn’t broken. They want to change the trait name to Physician? Fine. It’s silly, because I’ve never come across anyone confusing the trait with the character, but fine.

But leaving Noah without any kind of trait at all just seems wrong, for the players that is. I mean, I’m sure there are some newer players that have been using him for Doctor nodes and such, and now, they won’t be able to do that. I know this is a little thing and not worth throwing a fit about, but it still sux.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The thing is, when it comes to the mechanics of the game, DOCTOR Hippocrates Noah is essentially a physician, even if it’s an evil, holographic one. Why? Because he has the Medical skill...

Good point, totally forgot that he has the medical trait. So let's sum up:

1) Doctor in name
    2) Named after the father of medicine
    3) Has med trait

PS. This isn't really a big deal, I just enjoy nerding out on speculating what type of doctor Noah is.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the question about a potential impact on players having immortalized this crew for a collection, it should not have an impact but I will ask confirmation.
    edited March 2018
    The thing is, when it comes to the mechanics of the game, DOCTOR Hippocrates Noah is essentially a physician, even if it’s an evil, holographic one. Why? Because he has the Medical skill...

1) Doctor in name
    3) Has med trait

PS. This isn't really a big deal, I just enjoy nerding out on speculating what type of doctor Noah is.

A lot of this started with David Marcus, when they removed his Doctor trait, despite having Doctor literally in his name. There was a push that if they didn't intend for the Doctor trait to mean Medical Doctor, then it probably should be renamed.

1) Dr David Marcus (see above) - A Doctor does not a Medical Doctor make.
    2) I'll give you this one, except it is just a reference. Just being named after someone, does not make you a medical doctor.
    3) Lots of people have med skills who aren't Doctors. Troi is a ship's councilor/psychologist. Cornwell was a psychiatrist. Both were not a medical doctors. Also, looking at you Tourist Quark...

Like I said before, he probably has a doctorate, we just don't have a clue what it is in. His plan revolved around lasers and the earth's crust, so maybe Geology.
  • NivenFres wrote: »

1) Doctor in name
    3) Has med trait

A lot of this started with David Marcus, when they removed his Doctor trait, despite having Doctor literally in his name. There was a push that if they didn't intend for the Doctor trait to mean Medical Doctor, then it probably should be renamed.

2) I'll give you this one, except it is just a reference. Just being named after someone, does not make you a medical doctor.
    3) Lots of people have med skills who aren't Doctors. Troi is a ship's councilor/psychologist. Cornwell was a psychiatrist. Both were not a medical doctors. Also, looking at you Tourist Quark...

Like I said before, he probably has a doctorate, we just don't have a clue what it is in. His plan revolved around lasers and the earth's crust, so maybe Geology.

Hmm, so Cornwell should get the physician trait added if she's a psychiatrist...
    edited March 2018
    guest_7456 wrote: »
    NivenFres wrote: »

1) Doctor in name
    3) Has med trait

Hmm, so Cornwell should get the physician trait added if she's a psychiatrist...

You are correct! Forgot that was the difference between a psychology vs. psychiatry.

[Edit]
    From Memory Alpha -
    As of "Lethe", Cornwell has not explicitly been identified as a psychiatrist or psychologist, but this is heavily alluded to by her history practicing counseling in some aspect, and being called "doc".

So she might not be a psychiatrist (I was originally using the timelines wiki).
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, Holodeck 3 Dr Brahms has “Dr” but is a doctor in the PhD sense, I believe. I can see how clarification would be in order.

Now... maybe someone should rename the Borg Scout-Not-A-Scout ship? Or the trait, “scout”? I don’t know, just a thought. ;P
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe his parents wanted him to be a medical doctor when they named him Hippocrates, but he rebelled and got a PhD in Evil Scientistism.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadly speaking we have:
    1 - Counselors: They heal the brain meats.
    2 - Physician: They heal the body meats.

Tourist Quark is an alternative brain meat repair person who wants to help people by partying and giving people sex toys. There's currently no appropriate trait for this except for maybe Bartender and/or Merchant. He doesn't have either trait.

Similarly Dr. Noah also wants to heal the brain meats of the Earth populace by killing everyone who isn't a smarty pants. I can't think of an appropriate trait here either. I guess if you destroy the Earth to make a new Culture that would technically make you a Cultural Figure.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
    NivenFres wrote: »

1) Doctor in name
    3) Has med trait

Also Bareil and Ziyal...Lots of crew have MED, which as far as I can tell means "they help people by making them feel better" since bartenders apparently get MED :P

I try not to think too much about Tourist Quark's MED skill. Certain imagery happens that I would like to avoid.

Honestly, I didn't think this many people would have thought Dr. Noah was an actual medical doctor.

Dr. No was sure as hell not a medical doctor. He was some sort of evil science-type person who may or may not have had a degree in anything and was largely called "Dr." because it sounds cool and vaguely menacing. Same goes for Dr. Hippocrates Noah. It was a joke on Dr. No clearly not being a doctor who most certainly never took the Hippocratic Oath.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
    So will Shran perhaps clarify if they will adjust the remaining SCI and DIP stats to reflect that the character now has two traits rather than three? I would note that MED is Noah's secondary trait. Seems somewhat unfair to those who invested in leveling and equipping him to pull out that trait without boosting the other two. At least swap the DIP stats with the MED ones Shran.
    Wundigore wrote: »
    So will Shran perhaps clarify if they will adjust the remaining SCI and DIP stats to reflect that the character now has two traits rather than three? I would note that MED is Noah's secondary trait. Seems somewhat unfair to those who invested in leveling and equipping him to pull out that trait without boosting the other two. At least swap the DIP stats with the MED ones Shran.

Since when is his MED stat going away? It's just the "Doctor" trait being removed...

skill =/= trait

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

The doctor trait is being removed, not the medical skill.
  • Shan wrote: »
    Regarding the question about a potential impact on players having immortalized this crew for a collection, it should not have an impact but I will ask confirmation.

We all know that if they change the coding like they will, something else connected to it will go on the fritz and cause a lot of errors. Please get back to us as soon as possible with the answer on what is going to happen, or if they will just keep "Doctor/Physician" on Noah in the end.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
    Magisse wrote: »
    Dr. No was sure as hell not a medical doctor. He was some sort of evil science-type person who may or may not have had a degree in anything and was largely called "Dr." because it sounds cool and vaguely menacing. Same goes for Dr. Hippocrates Noah. It was a joke on Dr. No clearly not being a doctor who most certainly never took the Hippocratic Oath.
    Actually in the original novel, Dr. No was indeed a doctor. So one could make the leap that Dr. Noah, based on him, should in fact also have the trait.

A medical doctor? I thought he had a PhD in something...

But then, it's been almost 15 years since I read it so I could easily be mistaken.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm also going to make the point, that Dr. Noah doesn't seem like a counselor, bartender, nurse, field medic, changeling-impersonating-a-doctor, evangelist (Sybok), or whatever the heck Tourist Quark is doing. So in the context of this game where he actually has the medical skill, he's probably an actual medical-type doctor.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just occurred to me whilst I walked to work.'
    '
    Now what kind of person in the medical field dares to refer them self as a Doctor yet does not possess a doctoral degree?

"Dr." Hippocrates Noah is obviously a Chiropractor aka The Devil's Masseuse.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • DB tries to repair something that isn't broken. This game has so many other real problems that need to be fixed but Hippocrates Noah is certainly not one of them.
  • WundigoreWundigore ✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

The doctor trait is being removed, not the medical skill.

Ah. In that case, who cares?