Home Make It So!
Options

Ship Crew Racial/Faction Bonus

Find it odd that it's not already there but should crew of a race/faction not gain a bonus when working on a ship of that same race/faction, afterall they'd be more familiar with the systems?
What do people think?

Comments

• Options
    Find it odd that it's not already there but should crew of a race/faction not gain a bonus when working on a ship of that same race/faction, afterall they'd be more familiar with the systems?
    What do people think?

I see where you come from but the huge disadvantage is that this would create even more unbalance between ships - and inequalities between characters. Federation ships will just have a huge advantage as they'll always be able to field a full crew of Federation people. On the other side of the spectrum, it becomes entirely impossible to get a bonus on the Orion ship (which you can't even fully staff with Orions) or the Hirogen Warship (requiring basically every Hirogen in the game).

So, honestly, no. Ships that are already meta (Federation in general, the Borg cube, the Bounty - no matter whether it's counted as Federation or Klingon) would receive an buff and ships that are not meta would be further penalized. It's not the sort of improvement I want to see in the game.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do people think?

I see where you come from but the huge disadvantage is that this would create even more unbalance between ships - and inequalities between characters. Federation ships will just have a huge advantage as they'll always be able to field a full crew of Federation people. On the other side of the spectrum, it becomes entirely impossible to get a bonus on the Orion ship (which you can't even fully staff with Orions) or the Hirogen Warship (requiring basically every Hirogen in the game).

So, honestly, no. Ships that are already meta (Federation in general, the Borg cube, the Bounty - no matter whether it's counted as Federation or Klingon) would receive an buff and ships that are not meta would be further penalized. It's not the sort of improvement I want to see in the game.

Agreed. It would also serve to further the gap between those with many immortals and a deep crew and those without.
  • Options
    Wouldn't the ships fly lopsided then? The whole point of Star Trek was to Discover new worlds and life forms, establish working relationships, learn new a better ways for the betterment of the Entire Galaxy. However if there was no meeting of the minds The Federation left well enough alone...or put em in their place Arrrrrrgh :-)
  • Options

Fair point, but it all depends on the size of the boost and might be a good reason for DB to introduce more non-federation variants.
    Besides, aren't the Orion and Hirogen ships rarer ones largely held by the pay-to-play group, making them predominantly bragging items and the majority of players who have them would be more likely to have what few factional crew are available?
    Agreed. It would also serve to further the gap between those with many immortals and a deep crew and those without.
    That gap already exists due to the need to match primary stats, there are ships I have that due to the poor options of crew I have never used even though they were of higher level than other ships I had available.
    This could in fact address that, e.g. if the boost were that any crew of the right faction were wildcards in the slots, allowing you to put them in any slot and still get the benefit of their equipment bonuses.
  • Options
    Fair point, but it all depends on the size of the boost and might be a good reason for DB to introduce more non-federation variants.

Yeah, but no matter how you spin it, the Federation or the Klingons will never have as many crew as the Orion and the Hirogen and the Andorian.
    Besides, aren't the Orion and Hirogen ships rarer ones largely held by the pay-to-play group

No, they are ultimately destined to be given to everyone at some point (these ships are time-limited). Maybe awarded during an event (as the ISS Avenger was), or given out as a monthly fleet reward (as the Shenzhou is nowadays).

I mean, sure, maybe not many people have a 10/10 Orion ship and want to use it. But that's never good reason to say "then it might as well make it **tsk tsk**, no one will care."
    making them predominantly bragging items and the majority of players who have them would be more likely to have what few factional crew are available?

The reverse of that is that when a F2P player, or a small spender, get that ship (which will happen), their first reaction should be "oh, cool, I can use this nice exclusive item", not "oh this is just rubbish, look at this, bonus to the Orion, stupid reward".

Let's be f2p friendly, shall we? If a f2p player somehow manages to get a rare ship as a cool reward, let's encourage them to use it.

For me the main problem with this idea is that you are introducing loads of balance issues (in crew, in ships, in players) with almost no advantage (except than a bit of flavour). It's not a good tradeoff.
  • Options
    Fair enough, no-one seems to like it, clearly a stupid idea on my part.
  • Options
    Fair enough, no-one seems to like it, clearly a stupid idea on my part.

Absolutely not stupid. Synergy bonuses sound cool ;-)
  • Options
    No ideas are Stupid. I like the idea.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What do people think?

For it to work, it would have to be crew from that ship, or a similar ship, and the crew in roles they are used to. I can hardly imagine Scotty being able to fix the warp drive on a Sovereign-class starship, and Picard would beam aboard the TOS Enterprise and try talking to the computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do people think?

For it to work, it would have to be crew from that ship, or a similar ship, and the crew in roles they are used to. I can hardly imagine Scotty being able to fix the warp drive on a Sovereign-class starship, and Picard would beam aboard the TOS Enterprise and try talking to the computer.

I like this modification of the original post. Professor Scott, for example, should get a bonus only on the HMS Bounty. Mirror Kirk only on the ISS Enterprise. Captain Sulu only on the USS Excelsior (did I mention we really need an Excelsior in the game, DB?). Etc. Bonus could be relatively modest so as not to throw off the game balance too much -- maybe just +1 to their ship ability.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends