Home The Bridge
Options

should an item that has 5/5 drop chance be a guaranteed drop.

CSR _WaylanderCSR _Waylander ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in The Bridge
This really bugs me when its a big chrono cost and the item doesn't drop at all.

should an item that has 5/5 drop chance be a guaranteed drop. 93 votes

Yes
78%
[DC] PrincipiaCaptainUnderpantsCaptain TFProsserZombie Squirrel Pa[DB:Do Better] More Tranya!McCaptainfaceCaptain Sisko [AA][TUFG] SiguardehmigamiddleheadAlthea BiermontGeneral McDuck[STJ] WendellVaelerys Targaryen[TLA]  84wb[DB - Do Better]   ProwlerCommander TuckerElby780505 73 votes
No
21%
izausomeAstrometricsSabine of Athens[GoT] jess-gayguest_7456MagisseIvanstoneNeos472RaraRacingal103[S47] ELiLMerinSST - 9of7Davey1983Mirror CartmanHunter247<TGE> CliffordIshmael MarxQuit GameJoeSage2 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    Emmett KEmmett K ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes
    They will jus make every thing 4 pips after they do though
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Much like the posted odds on shuttle runs and gauntlet the pips on warp items are complete smoke and mirrors...
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Frankly I'd rather they just gave the % chance rather than the stars, the number of stars seems inconsistent across items/missions with some one star probability drops dropping more often than 3 star ones.

It frankly is inconsistent, its in relation to the other item in that mission not the other missions.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just like the Portal and their "best chance of" dropping. No guarantees in this game...ever.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Yeah, sure, DB and guarantees. This could be good April Fool's Day joke. You rushed it little bit. :-)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t look at the pips, just go direct to the wiki. At best, the pips are confusing. At worst, they are downright wrong.
  • Options
    Yes
    Ive found that if i run a mission that has a 5/5 drop of item from the 'get' list for that item, i wont get it, but if i run that same mission from the Galaxy Map, i will get it. Very...interesting...
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    getting a guaranteed item to drop means that there will only be two other possible drops on that mission (in general, yes there are 4 items drop missions, or even 2 item drop missions) ... so suddenly, the other items become a lot more difficult to acquire.

I know I Warp 10 missions to get both a good selection of the "5/5" pip items, as well as some of the others ... there are plenty of good combo missions where I'm looking to get more than one of the items.

As others have stated ... if you are frustrated at drop rates, go to the wiki, it is a decent resource on drop rates ... some of the more expensive missions are under represented because very few people run large batches of them.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I think it should drop at a rate no lower than 1 in 3 attempts but every time would be too much
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No
    It would completely mess up the drop rates for that, and other items. Currently some items drop more than once, and a guaranteed drop for 5 pips would mess that up. e.g. Basic starfleet uniform pattern drops an average of more than two per run of "A tale of forgotten lore"

The pips are meaningless at the moment. Some mission ratings of two pips have a higher drop rate than missions with four pips, and the same as missions with five pips. e.g. 2* Database (Panel)

The pips should accurately represent the drop chance, with partial pips allowed. e.g.
    5 pips, average of two or more per run.
    4.5 pips average of 1.4 per run
    4 pips, average of one per run.
    3 pips, average of one every four runs.
    2 pips, average of one every ten runs.
    1 pip, use the replicator instead.

As for the wiki, I should not have to check it for things like this.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Although it doesn't work this way, I feel the pips should represent the range of chances that it could drop at least once. For example: 1 pip - 1-19%, 3 pips - 40-59%, 5 pips 80-99%. It's still an RNG mechanism, 'cause that's what we do here, but at least the probabilities would be close to the intuitive expectations that come with the pips.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't feel the pip system is a great way of representing things. It implies that things are a single roll but in reality its usually 3 rolls.

5/5 pips is more like 3x 3/5. Good odds but a chance of getting nothing or all 3.
    4/5 pips is more like 2x 2/5.
    Etc, etc.

The Wiki is a better source in general. I still use the pips somewhat since I'm lazy but I also rely on memory for the juicier locations.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding of the pips was that they represent the best chance of that specific item dropping, relative to the other "droppable" items, on that specific mission. I could be wrong, though. :*
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding of the pips was that they represent the best chance of that specific item dropping, relative to the other "droppable" items, on that specific mission. I could be wrong, though. :*

We all know how "Best chance" works with DB...
  • Options
    Ive found that if i run a mission that has a 5/5 drop of item from the 'get' list for that item, i wont get it, but if i run that same mission from the Galaxy Map, i will get it. Very...interesting...
    Have had similar suspicions for a week or two but would need to do some serious datamining to verify it. If true that would be an appalling way to treat the playerbase.

As for the wiki, I should not have to check it for things like this.
    Definitely.
    I don’t like calling them wrong. That implies DB simply made an error.
    I prefer to call them deceptive or manipulative...
    As we in software say: "It's not a bug, it's a feature." :p