Home The Bridge
Options

Missing trait, thoughts?

Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
So I recently got another addition to my pretty boy crew, the heartthrob Captain Okona.
But it strikes me as strange that he doesn't have the "pilot" or "maverick" traits.

He is the only person aboard his ship, he's clearly its captain as well as its pilot.

In that episode, Wesley asks Riker why Okona lives alone and Riker responds "he's a man who lives his life by his own rules, he does what he does by his choice" which is the definition of a maverick, someone who is unorthodox and independent-acting.
Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, but not surprised.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree! They also clearly need to add the "Outrageous" Trait just for him
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Maverick seems wholly appropriate, pilot I would say is debatable.

Pilot isn't given to everyone who's been at the helm, but to those who are especially skilled pilots. I don't know that this aspect of Okona was explored enough in the episode.

He's described as Captain. Yes he was the only one onboard his ship at the time it was encountered, but was this normally the case, or did he have a crew? If being alone on his ship is enough to call him a Pilot, then should Jarok also be one?

I'd say that we don't have enough on screen evidence of his piloting skills to say it's an egregious omission.
    They also clearly need to add the "Outrageous" Trait just for him

I think that would be great! B)
  • Options
    Isn’t he also missing a species trait as well? I looked at him through Communications and don’t remember seeing Human or whatever the appropriate race might be listed.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t he also missing a species trait as well? I looked at him through Communications and don’t remember seeing Human or whatever the appropriate race might be listed.

His species wasn't specified in the episode.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Dralix wrote: »
    Maverick seems wholly appropriate, pilot I would say is debatable.

Pilot isn't given to everyone who's been at the helm, but to those who are especially skilled pilots. I don't know that this aspect of Okona was explored enough in the episode.

He's described as Captain. Yes he was the only one onboard his ship at the time it was encountered, but was this normally the case, or did he have a crew? If being alone on his ship is enough to call him a Pilot, then should Jarok also be one?

I'd say that we don't have enough on screen evidence of his piloting skills to say it's an egregious omission.
    They also clearly need to add the "Outrageous" Trait just for him

I think that would be great! B)

I don't think we have clearly defined parameters of what the "pilot" trait is actually. DB should do that, just like they did with the "physician" trait.

For me, "pilot" means either you specifically trained to do it (e.g. the cases of Jadzia, Paris, etc), or you make your living doing it (e.g. Okona). Okona pilots his ship alone, since Wesley did ask why he lives alone and Okona lives aboard his ship so I'm 2+2'ing here.

There's also this dialogue...
    La Forge: "don't worry, your ship will never outlast this part"
    Okona: "because of the part or the way I fly my ship?"
    Jarok wouldn't be a "pilot" under the parameters I'm advocating, because Jarok doesn't make his living being a pilot.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jarok wouldn't be a "pilot" under the parameters I'm advocating, because Jarok doesn't make his living being a pilot.

You clearly recall the episode more than I do. :)

It's true that DB hasn't explicitly given criteria, it's more inferred from who has it and who doesn't. Lots of people have been at the helm of ships.

I'd go along with your parameters, and you make a good case that Okona was indeed the pilot, similar to "Captain" Dirgo from Final Mission, and unlike (I believe) Kassidy Yates.

So you've convinced me. Not that my opinion matters.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

It's true that DB hasn't explicitly given criteria, it's more inferred from who has it and who doesn't. Lots of people have been at the helm of ships.

I'd go along with your parameters, and you make a good case that Okona was indeed the pilot, similar to "Captain" Dirgo from Final Mission, and unlike (I believe) Kassidy Yates.

Changing anyone’s mind on this forum is no small task!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Changing anyone’s mind on this forum is no small task!

You are so correct

• Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree he should have the "pilot" and "maverick" traits.

Make It So! Trait Audit Thread
  • Options
    I can’t think of anyone who better exemplifies the maverick trait, it’s definitely warranted. I just wish I’d paid attention to the end date of the pack, now I’ll never get him! 😭
  • Options
    I agree he should have the "pilot" and "maverick" traits.

Make It So! Trait Audit Thread

I went and put it in that thread earlier today. I hope it passes, mainly because he's actually one of the better ENG gauntlet characters (better than North Star Tucker by having two rather strong skills than just one) and Okona would be a lot more viable of a pick if he had the proper traits. Also, it'd make him better for voyages.
  • Options
    Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Well, it’s stated in that episode that he’s from one of the two planets that form the Coalition of Madena, so at the very least, they could give him Madenian or Madenanite or the equivalent; however, I think they mention at one point that the system had been colonized centuries earlier by humans or maybe it was just humanoids, but either way, the people look completely and utterly plainly human. Maybe they aren’t, but they look it.

I know it’s severely nitpicky of me but I kinda hate it when they don’t give a species trait. I think Human or some variant of Madena (I think I got that governmental name right) would work just fine. As far as I know, it wouldn’t restrict him in any manner but would help him in a few situations and with a few nodes. I’m probably in the minority but I’d love for them to add Human as well as Pilot and most definitely Maverick.

@Lady Gaghgagh I don’t have him yet but I’m SO glad they gave him Engineering. Now if he can just get a few more traits he’ll be even more useful.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options

Well, it’s stated in that episode that he’s from one of the two planets that form the Coalition of Madena, so at the very least, they could give him Madenian or Madenanite or the equivalent; however, I think they mention at one point that the system had been colonized centuries earlier by humans or maybe it was just humanoids, but either way, the people look completely and utterly plainly human. Maybe they aren’t, but they look it.

I know it’s severely nitpicky of me but I kinda hate it when they don’t give a species trait. I think Human or some variant of Madena (I think I got that governmental name right) would work just fine. As far as I know, it wouldn’t restrict him in any manner but would help him in a few situations and with a few nodes. I’m probably in the minority but I’d love for them to add Human as well as Pilot and most definitely Maverick.

@Lady Gaghgagh I don’t have him yet but I’m SO glad they gave him Engineering. Now if he can just get a few more traits he’ll be even more useful.

I broke my pack-buying moratorium for him. I just have to gather my pretty boys :p
    But I got lucky and was able to score two of him in relatively few packs. And when I hit 50k honour, I'll be giving him a 3rd star, because he is actually pretty decent for voyages and he's now my perhaps my 2nd/3rd best engineer for gauntlet.

I also am for him gaining the Madenan trait, sure he'd probably be the only crew member to ever have it, but it'd be a nice classifier. Just like Thot Gor is our only Breen and very well could be our only ever Breen.
  • Options
    I have another missing character trait to add (if I may) - Frank Hollander Data isn't marked as 'Duelist', despite the fact he clearly is as he, I don't know, duels with Sheriff Worf in "A Fistful of Datas". Also worth noting that whilst Worf is a duelist, he didn't fire at all in the showdown...