Home The Bridge
Options

Behold! Duplicates...

edited March 2018 in The Bridge
I know this has been an issue for a long time, but seriously:

By my count, there are ~200 super-rares (SR) in the game.
There are 58 SR that i do not have at all.
and 30 SR that I have 1-3 stars on.

Not counting any other factors, any randomly dropped super rare should have about 40% chance of being "useful" to me (that crew not FF).

A behold has 3 "random" chances, so i've got 3 40% chances to see something useful.

But time after time, like so many others, I see 3 characters i've already immortalized.

This has caused me to stop buying. I love STT, but i won't spend money to purchase disappointment.

Solution:

If you can detect at what star level i have the crew (shown above each card in the behold), then you can detect that fact when the cards are chosen, and therefore re-choose the 3rd card whenever all 3 are duplicates. and even if you limit that "re-choosing loop" to 10 tries, it would still go a long way towards increasing player satisfaction.

DB, Please make this simple change. If you don't understand what I mean, or how to do it, I will do it for you for free.

Comments

• Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    By my math, there are 209 Super Rare crew in the game. Approximately 45 are not available in the portal. That leaves 164 Super Rares you can pull from the portal.

For the most accurate maths, I’d need to know which ones of the ones you need are in the portals.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    A lot of us have speculated that the coding doesn't give an equal chance for each 4* character. There may be a better chance of getting cards you already have instead of something new. Or there may be certain 4* characters that are more rare than others. Or maybe the chances to get something new depends on how much you've spent in some way, to encourage more spending.

Regardless, we'll never know until they finally decide to tell us what the odds are, if they ever do.
  • Options
    Since I doubt DB would ever give away citations for free I think the only reasonable solution to this problem is to either give more honor by a good margin (ie a magnitude of 10) for ff beholds or offer a resonable refresh option.

As many have have said before in speculation on why certain QOL fixes haven't been done it's probably because the base game code is a hot mess and DB don't have the resources and staff to clean it up.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    DB, Please make this simple change. If you don't understand what I mean, or how to do it, I will do it for you for free.

They understand what you mean, and don't need your help. They've simply decided they want it the way it is.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

They understand what you mean, and don't need your help. They've simply decided they want it the way it is.

I must agree with you here.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I doubt DB would ever give away citations for free I think the only reasonable solution to this problem is to either give more honor by a good margin (ie a magnitude of 10) for ff beholds or offer a resonable refresh option.

As many have have said before in speculation on why certain QOL fixes haven't been done it's probably because the base game code is a hot mess and DB don't have the resources and staff to clean it up.

Technically they aren't giving away a citation for free though. I mean if you're opening a pack, it's a pack you either paid dilithium to open or it is a pack you've been awarded for your efforts in an event. In neither of those cases would the appropriate-level citation be "free".

And I don't see why offering a citation would be any bit taboo. I mean after the Mirror Picard bungle, I requested a citation from CS in lieu of the extra Mirror Picard due to having him FF'd and was granted my request of one.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Ive lost count the times ive had a behold and its crew I have been presented with are already immortalised or max xp and max 4* . I think this is a con as for most of us beholds are few are far between and usually earnt after many hours of play in events. its pretty awesome to get another * on the collar or a new crew member. but 9/10 times you are left with disappointment on the behold pull and end up just having to dismiss that crew. It does put people off buying dilithium to buy beholds.

nineofseven - looking for members to join my fleet search for nineofseven ingame.
  • Options
    General Abre's post goes for me too, almost exactly.

My specific deets: 223 immortals, still need 1 common and uncommon crew, and a few rares. I have three immortal legendaries. Yet I've gotten beholds with my immortal legendaries in the mix, and I've gotten countless useless super-rare beholds despite needing a ton of those.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am all for getting the option of the appropriate level of citation when a behold contains all 3 options as crew already FF or Frozen.

My only fear is they would lower the chances of a behold greatly as a part of it.

As long as they didn’t lower the chances of a behold, I’d be all for it
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    A behold has 3 "random" chances, so i've got 3 40% chances to see something useful.

Or you could just play the odds. I suspect your chances of getting something are probably worse than what you're stating. Even then your you chance of an immortal behold is ~21%. This also assumes you don't get hooped by an initial non-behold 4*.

For myself there are 29 characters I need in the portal. I have a 56% chance of an all immortal behold. It would take a really good deal for me to spend money (ex Steam initial offer). Otherwise I stick to special and event packs which have better chances of a useful character.

DB should probably offer more special packs. Putting up one old per week wouldn't be a bad plan. Give us monthly card buyers a little something to spend our dilithium on.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    They understand the issue you're bringing up but I seriously doubt anything will be done about it.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    My odds of a duplicate 4* behold is close to 100%. I need 3 stars on Kurn and 2 stars on Warship Janeway. All other 4* are FF or Frozen.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all for getting the option of the appropriate level of citation when a behold contains all 3 options as crew already FF or Frozen.

My only fear is they would lower the chances of a behold greatly as a part of it.

Not that it isn't great to get your cake and eat it too, but I think it'd be a fair tradeoff if Beholds dropped less frequently in exchange for citations for the FF ones. Would still probably be an improvement.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »

Not that it isn't great to get your cake and eat it too, but I think it'd be a fair tradeoff if Beholds dropped less frequently in exchange for citations for the FF ones. Would still probably be an improvement.

Not for all players, though.

*cough* Me. *cough*
  • Options
    My odds of a duplicate 4* behold is close to 100%. I need 3 stars on Kurn and 2 stars on Warship Janeway. All other 4* are FF or Frozen.

Are Kurn and Warship Janeway even in the portal? I've never seen Kurn and I have 1/4 on Warship Janeway.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are Kurn and Warship Janeway even in the portal?

As of March 20th, yes.
  • Options
    I've seen both since update
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Several more like this
    bgo7f4r5opaw.jpeg

If I want a 1/5 from the Faction store it’s 15k Dilithium yet if I want to dismiss one it’s 550 honor

#FixBeholds
    #5kFactionStore
  • Options
    wow. I've actually brought out players who support this insulting practice.

You're welcome, DB. Keep up the bad work.

• Options
    I'd much rather have only 2 chances at a new character and one guaranteed citation. Portal packs are next to useless for veteran players and keep a lot of players from spending.
  • Options
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Several more like this
    bgo7f4r5opaw.jpeg

If I want a 1/5 from the Faction store it’s 15k Dilithium yet if I want to dismiss one it’s 550 honor

#FixBeholds
    #5kFactionStore

It is kinda like the new car scenario, the second you drive that car off the lot it loses its value greatly! Hence why a legendary costs 15,000 dil, but returns 550 honor if dismissed.