Home Ready Room
Options

Statistical Improbabilities

I've played Timelines for well over year, almost two now and enjoy the game very much, save for one improbable truth. The percentage chances for success on missions simply aren't even close to reality.

Time after time after time (pun included) the indication from the game is a good percentage of success on a mission only leads to failure which defies logic. So glaring is this discrepancy that if one does the statistics on the probability of failing three missions in a row with a 95% chance of success, you're looking at the same probability of being struck by lightning. Twice. In the same spot. I should know, considering my vocation, I had to endure top level university statistical analysis (not recommended).

My point is this - it's an issue that is sorely in need of a course correction. It is a blemish on an otherwise amazing game. Why? Not simply because it isn't possible, but because it's frustrating, not fun or challenging. And that's the point where you loose customers like myself.

Let me fill you in on the difference between frustrating and challenging. Challenging is where a mission is difficult or even not possible at one's present level of expertise but could be possible with more skill and/or resources. Frustrating is where by all reasoning and logic, a mission that should have been easy as pie failed for no discernible reason. Challenge drives people to continue, to engage and drive forward. Even spend more to get there. Frustration pushes them to stop, quit and cry unfair. Oh. And stop paying for your game.

I've listened to my squad and my fleet anger over this issue more than any other in the game and I agree. It needs to be addressed. Your 95% should be exactly that - success on 95 out of 100 missions. No hidden adjendas or loopholes. If the probability isn't 95% then let us know so we are not frustrated and screaming foul when the game boots us out of a sure thing.

After all, these are folks that travel the cosmos. If they can't figure out such probabilities with little margin for error they would have flown into a star by now. I can't imagine Spock was ever that far off, but with the game as it is, he wouldn't have stood a chance of slingshoting around the sun with his best guess... *poof goes the Vulcan*.

Respectfully Submitted,

A Captain on the Edge

Comments

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twice by lightning is 1 in 9 million, failing 3 95% chances is only 1 in 8000. Not impossible, but still improbable.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    I strongly agree with your point of view...
  • Options
    It's a gambling game with RNG being the only real core component. DB is the house and the house always has a edge or it doesn't give action. I know this is frustrating to accept but the sooner you do the more fun you will have.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you please post your data that indicates a specific bias you think exists? Someone did an extensive study when shuttles originally came out that showed that displayed success rates were very close to reality. I'm not sure a followup has been performed recently.
  • Options
    The Problem is, that creating Random-Numbers is not that easy for a Computer as you might think.
    Personal I have the impression, but no proof (!), that the system has Problems with Numbers that follow in near succession. Maybe it is possible that it has a higher Chance that it takes the same Number twice in a row?
    Looking at the Gaunlet I sometimes even think it is part of the Code to stop and try to convince me to spend some Dil.
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    If someone could run the probability stats on failing all three shuttles at 99/99/97% (yes this actually happened to me last event) I'd be interested. I should probably keep better track of such things but I spend more than enough time on this game as it is.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    *hugs BelleAnna* ... that's sum real bad luck there, so you receive a Vorta hug from me. :) I had high purrcentage fails as well, I got used to it.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    BelleAnna wrote: »
    If someone could run the probability stats on failing all three shuttles at 99/99/97% (yes this actually happened to me last event) I'd be interested. I should probably keep better track of such things but I spend more than enough time on this game as it is.

The problem with this is we don't really know if the "99%" is 98.5% or 99.9%. These lead to radically different probabilities (since chance of failure is literally 15x higher in the 98.5% scenario).

I can personally recall two 99% failures (not in the same set). However, I have sent hundreds of 99% shuttles, so, if anything, I might be beating the odds there.
  • Options
    Hello again, thank you all for your comments. Much like BelleAnna, I had SIX, not one but count 'em SIX runs @ a minimum of 99/98/98 that all had one fail in them in the last event. Ergo my post. I agree Peachtree that the percentages of the percentages make for differences, but still, the difference in a failure between 99.9 and 98.5% should still add up to a success over 985 times in 1000, making a failure a rarity and not the norm.

And for SkyMarshall, with all due respect, I'm not used to showing my belly so easily when I know there's a wrong here. Much like other houses that deal cards, they must show accurate odds even if they are in the house's favor. To do otherwise is simply misleading. As Nikita points out, perhaps this is done to force us to spend dilithium. If that is the case, the house is cheating us out of money.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    And for SkyMarshall, with all due respect, I'm not used to showing my belly so easily when I know there's a wrong here. Much like other houses that deal cards, they must show accurate odds even if they are in the house's favor. To do otherwise is simply misleading. As Nikita points out, perhaps this is done to force us to spend dilithium. If that is the case, the house is cheating us out of money.

Thats a rather chippy way to call out someone. I am not showing my belly at all. At least I am using my ig name. What is yours? Guest-6917whateva.

Also how much time have you spent in this game and dealing with DB. While I have not had as much as others I know DB's style. Fairness really doesn't exist as we know it in SST. It is a gambling game full of psychological triggers to enable you to spend.
  • Options
    Last event, I had a expected average shuttle success rate of ~83%. I got 76%, well within one standard deviation. They don't need to make it unfair to make you spend, honestly.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the Gaunlet I sometimes even think it is part of the Code to stop and try to convince me to spend some Dil.

I'm pretty sure the Gauntlet is rigged to stop your streaks. With a streak of 2, 5, 8, etc, expect the next match to be especially tough.
  • Options
    I have been here since the beginning. The shuttle missions have been rigged. Gauntlet is rigged. And there is no fair play with this game. Star Trek fans are rabid about their shows and their favorite characters. DB recognizes this and takes advantage where they can. They introduced shuttle boosts to help developing players compete and then decreased the success rate on away missions to force more players to pony up for shuttle boosts. Now shuttle boosts are rarely of use as the success rate with a standard 3 star boost on anything below 70% is a guaranteed fail. They constantly manipulate recipes to build items to force us to spend dilithium to buy items not obtainable any other way. Case in point, Professor’s Deadline. Last week, the only place you can get a 2 star security code was on that mission. A broken mission for many players since day 1. Now if you want to be fair about it, remove the rewards from that mission and place them on a mission of similar difficulty. Oh and before I am told to just write support and request the items, I have several times. Yes they respond but do not provide the quantity requested. I have completed all missions and possess more crew than I need. Spent several thousand on this game. Struggling with anymore. There is no growth component. It’s all about events and new crew you must have to compete. Strictly a money grab. Roddenberry would be livid with the game developers for their mistreatment of gamers and fans alike.
    There is hope that the new owners will address these shortfalls and clear up the mismanagement of what started out as an awesome game.
  • Options
    In the gauntlet I can match up the same character with the same stats 5 times in a row and lose all five. Try getting a coin flip wrong 5 times in a row, it's almost impossible. I have to agree with you about the gauntlet
  • Options
    3% (the odds of losing, or winning, a fair coinflip 5 times in a row) is far from impossible.
  • Options
    During last 2 or 3 Faction Events I also got struck by almost impossible loss (but probably also win - we tend to notice losses more, than wins) streaks. When such loss streak has happened in the first 24 hours of the last event, dropping me from 4000 point to 2750 points in just 8 missions, I got really upset... and I began to think.

My first impression was, that I do not get such streaks during regular shuttle missions, but only during the events. So what's the difference? Most obvious, that I use BOOSTS only during the events. Ofc, observer bias could cause me to ignore loss streaks during regular shuttle missions, because long term effects of such streak would not be as damaging and visible, as during an event, but I've decided to run my missions without any boost... anyway at that time using boosts was like throwing good money after bad. When I have done so, my results immediately went back to what should be expected according to percentages shown! And stayed this way for the next 3 days.

After 24 hours I have broadcasted in widely in fleet's chat. Close to 8 people took part in the discussion, probably 3 of them stating, that there was nothing wrong/unexpected happening to them, when running missions with boosts. At least 3 other folks have turned the boosts off for the last 2 days of the event and 2 of them (very sensible folks) decisively reported "things back to normal" after doing so, but 1 player reported no improvement.

Those are obviously preliminary data and not giving a really simple answers. However my conclusion is, that most likely it's the boosts, that are somehow bugged and in some conditions (which I'm unable to determine) at least for some players are causing loosing (and possibly also winning) streaks, that are practically impossible, if results were in accordance with shown win chances.

I am practically certain, that for me during the events the randoms do not work, as they should. I am also convinced, that stopping to use the boosts has fixed those randoms. Therefore it seems very likely, that the bug is somehow triggered by using the boosts and I believe, that it's the first thing, that should be investigated in the effort to fix the problem.

• Options
    Interesting, I had the impression, no real Data so, that when I used Boosters I got even more Wins then I should expect from the pure % shown.
    But I use Booster although only at Events - with the exception of Time related Boosts.
    Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The Problem is, that creating Random-Numbers is not that easy for a Computer as you might think.

I wished people would stop repeating this misleading "argument"! The problem with randomly created numbers on computers is that a pure algorithm based RNG creates random numbers always from a deterministic source and thus they are not truly random. There are some experiments done, where RNGs use real random outside sources to create real randomness, e.g. external sound through a microphone, etc.

BUT: This does not mean that it is difficult to create random numbers that are DISTRIBUTED the way they are supposed to. THAT is no problem at all. So this is not an excuse for observations deviating from the expected average outcomes.

I actually have collected some data on shuttle missions that I wanted to share and wanted to post them today, but it turns out, I cannot create any new threads (wanted to do it in a new post), for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Hope_F wrote: »
    ... I wanted to share and wanted to post them today, but it turns out, I cannot create any new threads (wanted to do it in a new post), for whatever reason.

Sigh... I had the same issue with the old forum. Couldn't attach a file even in a reply to someone else's post. One idea... I ended up putting the data in Google Drive. The forum let me link to it. Good luck with what you try.
  • Options
    DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    I've been tracking my shuttle runs for the last year now ..., I'm seeing a consistent 10% difference between the displayed % and the actual return % ... but yeah .. probably just me ... of course .. :)
  • Options
    Never ever - if you tracked it for so many attempts I would treat it as an scientific proof.
    Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto wrote: »
    I've been tracking my shuttle runs for the last year now ..., I'm seeing a consistent 10% difference between the displayed % and the actual return % ... but yeah .. probably just me ... of course .. :)

Wow! How many runs do you have recorded?
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If it's events only it must still be in the thousands. It's statistically very significant then and practically a solid proof!
  • Options
    BelleAnna wrote: »

We need to track this as well as the opposite end of the spectrum. 2 events ago, I was consistently succeeding in 54%-70%+ shuttles with no skill boosts. I attribute this to the "bonus crew" which in itself gives boosts that is NOT reflected in the success percentage displayed.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

about 5k ...
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

about 5k ...

Color me impressed with that level of tracking. I tip my hat at the amount of time you put into that.
  • Options
    We need to track this as well as the opposite end of the spectrum. 2 events ago, I was consistently succeeding in 54%-70%+ shuttles with no skill boosts. I attribute this to the "bonus crew" which in itself gives boosts that is NOT reflected in the success percentage displayed.

It certainly IS reflected in the success percentage displayed... at least to the same degree, as other crew stats.

However it's obvious, that there are 2 different algorithms used for showing stats when mission is launched and for counting stats for the mission completion.

The algorithm for mission launch is certainly bugged (for example it doesn't account for hidden stats - use any 4* or 5* FF/FE crew with no matching skills on any 30 sec - 2 min mission and the mission will show 0% chance, yet practically always succeed, cause the hidden unaccounted stats really push it to 99%).

Which does not mean, that the algorithm for resolving the mission success isn't bugged as well, quite opposite, for all that I've seen, it is most likely also is bugged.
  • Options
    We all know that there is a display discrepancy during events. If you open 10, run 4 at 99%, open 4 and run them ect... Then go back and run the remaining original 6, they show the increased difficulty percentage as well as the time remaining as if they were opened after several successes. Once you push the go button, The time decreases to what it should be and no matter what percentage was shown usually succeeds right? That there makes me wonder where the UI is getting the info to display as to what the CPU is actually calculating and when.

I had something strange happen the other day (which I should have documented better) with a set of 4 standard missions. I ran some from a faction I haven't run in a while and is not honored yet. Haven't had an event with them either. The success rates were quite low (45% - 50%) and I did not add boosts because I wanted to get them to fail so as to reset the difficulty. I did think they were quite strangely low. When they returned, they all passed and when I ran 4 more, the percentages were much higher. I don't know what was going on and like I said, I should have taken notes or screenshots but I was doing something else and didn't take the time.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    On the flip side I'm regularly passing shuttle missions that supposedly have a 0% chance of success. I haven't tracked the numbers but I'd estimate I pass 20-25% of 0% shuttles, so something is clearly off.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I have proved with moths of statistics from multiple fleets that the probabilities stated in this game are utterly FAKE. Some of the stats I posted on the old forums. No matter how you put it, it's rigged.
    The closest match for 50-50 return rate for shuttles is 80% in-game stated success rate.

Statements like "The Problem is, that creating Random-Numbers is not that easy for a Computer as you might think." from above are irrelevant.
    RNG is ultra easy if you do not over-complicate it for nothing.

The scam is further supported by the fact that the math behind the RNG is never disclosed.

" it is most likely also is bugged" --> rigged. If it was bugged, it would of been fixed. It's intentional.

Just like the upper line in the dabo that never drops anything. 24 veteran fleets confirmed that they never got a single item from the upper line until exhausting the below lines. Another rigged number generator.

"On the flip side I'm regularly passing shuttle missions that supposedly have a 0% chance of success. I haven't tracked the numbers but I'd estimate I pass 20-25% of 0% shuttles, so something is clearly off."
    It may be a very absurd math function that tries to average extremes.