Home The Bridge

Okay DB we really need to talk about the censors on these forums

Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
I just had the censors kill a photo I put in a post, because the photo url the forum made for the photo contained the two letters b and s together in succession.

That...is overkill. Or to put it in appropriate terms here bs (read: b + s)
Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Sorry. That's not funny for you, but it makes DB look very silly imo.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You can't say bs?

Edit: Wow. That's the dumbest form of censorship I've seen on a website.

Double edit: After the first edit, my original post went through. That auto censor is just silly.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nothing, two months ago they've ceonsored photo url from their own server!!!!
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    These things are usually handled by the forum software, and that's usually outsourced to some "naughty word" database, so I'm not sure how much control DB has over this, barring maybe choosing a lower sensitivity level of the word filter. It's odd that there's no built-in exception to links or something like that though.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These things are usually handled by the forum software, and that's usually outsourced to some "naughty word" database, so I'm not sure how much control DB has over this, barring maybe choosing a lower sensitivity level of the word filter. It's odd that there's no built-in exception to links or something like that though.

Admin/mod control panels on forums for as long as I can remember (early 2000s for sure) have had language filter options. There's no excuse in *current year* for that to not be alterable by someone in an authority position on these forums.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree, the filters are observably absurdly substandard.
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that isn't #####. I mean, what if we were trying to say something #########, and we couldn't ### it?

(The words above are, in order, 'right'; 'important'; 'say'.

Trista
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

Admin/mod control panels on forums for as long as I can remember (early 2000s for sure) have had language filter options. There's no excuse in *current year* for that to not be alterable by someone in an authority position on these forums.

It really depends on the software. vBulletin and phpBB I recall you could specifically allow or disallow words, but from my understanding, some newer forum software it's a little more opaque (just set to "high" "medium" or "low") unless you dig into the code yourself, so it may or may not be easy for them to fix.

But yeah, it's ridiculous. Some of the blocked words wouldn't even offend my Christian grandmother.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nothing, two months ago they've ceonsored photo url from their own server!!!!

That's essentially what happened here my friend. I uploaded a photo to DB's own server and the link it made for the photo to use in the post had a censorable letter combination, because the censor is so sensitive it goes down to censoring even two letter combos, which is insane.

DB's forum ate its own creation.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a dedicated thread for forum issues where this issue belonged.
    I believe I have taken care of it, if that is not the case, post in the thread or contact me by PM. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.