Home Make It So!

Warning System

There has been some, let’s say, bad behavior in the universal chat (UC). Including sexual harassment.

I propose a simple solution. A warning/flag button for accounts. If a player has been trolling/harassing players, the account can be flagged. Once the account has been flagged by 20 or so unique accounts, the UC will be automatically disabled for that account for 24 hours. Even 1 flag will allow customer service the opportunity to review the logs to see if any further action needs to be taken.

If the behavior is extremely serious and potentially creates liability for DB like all the sexual harassment that has been going on, the UC can be permanently disabled for those players.

This way, those players can still play the game, just no longer “troll” in UC.

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I don't ever visit the UC (for pretty much the very reasons you described above), that's an interesting suggestion. Although I would suggest adding something to prevent abuse of the system. I think the person who does the flagging should also be held accountable, in that if they have done so multiple times for messages that were not found by DB to be at all offensive, they also get a warning (and potential UC exile for a period of time). And 24 hours banishment from UC doesn't really seem long enough for getting flagged by 20 different accounts — it seems like 1 week, minimum, would be more reasonable. I would also suggest that the messages themselves would be the things to be flagged, rather than just clicking on a username and flagging them — that way it'd be much easier for DB to track down the source of the problem.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • I agree with everything you said. I was trying to think of the easiest thing they could implement in a relatively short amount of time
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a worthy notion... but people have been calling for some UC moderation as long as I can remember, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for any changes, especially since it would mean an additional commitment of man hours by a DB employee.

• XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    +1 to some sort of UC moderation. Also, for those of us in fleets who avoid the UC could the chat interface be programmed to start us in fleet chat?
    We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
    Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    It's a worthy notion... but people have been calling for some UC moderation as long as I can remember, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for any changes, especially since it would mean an additional commitment of man hours by a DB employee.

I agreed. That’s why I was suggested an automated moderation system. Something that doesn’t need manning
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

I agreed. That’s why I was suggested an automated moderation system. Something that doesn’t need manning

My apologies — I misinterpreted what you were saying, I guess, based on this: "Even 1 flag will allow customer service the opportunity to review the logs to see if any further action needs to be taken." But even with your idea of not explicitly needing DB's oversight, I should think they'd want to oversee such a thing, if it were implemented. When it comes to automatic protections, we all know how badly the filters perform, so I guess I have doubts that they'd want to leave something like that to a bit of coding without some employee having to regularly check in.

• SvenLundgrenSvenLundgren ✭✭✭✭
    Can we have a way to set our fleet chat as the default?
    Starfleet Commission: August 12, 2017
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes Uc the Home of Rape threats, sexual harrasment, unsolicited PM’s and grooming minors. I still can’t erase the erect penis sent on line by a guy who thought he was texting a minor🤦‍♂️

TBH if there was a nuke button for the UC I’d push it repeatedly like I was hoping the elevator would arrive quicker.

Same problems 2yrs on considering chat is so bad in this game people use other apps to communicate would be an indication that it isn’t a working format. I’m currently playing other games atm where the chat ingame displays your Name and automatically displays your guild you do not have to put fleet tags in your user name the leaderboard also displays your name and guild. Since there’s no financial motivation to fix UC they won’t. I’d urge them too take it seriously as they owe players 12+ (PEGI 12) a duty of care.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Another game I played for awhile had people who monitored chat. One could request such a person to show up in the main chat if the need arose (and they were pretty quick about it). Or, there was an easy way within the chat interface to copy/paste comments and sent it. It was also nice to have those individuals because they could immediately suspend anyone’s in-game chat privileges for a violation of TOS. And, I understand we can just mute/block people, but at the same time, no one needs to act like a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum in chat either. While I like the idea in the original post, I just don’t see DB caring enough to do anything about it.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...