Home The Bridge

What's the odds...??

Castell-NeathCastell-Neath ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in The Bridge
What's the odds we'll get these versions of kirk and spock?

ca1k1zyxn23y.jpg

Could have a ww2 event i Suppose... Hirogen v Temporal Agents or something...they could also throw in a Nazi Vosk from Enterprise for good measure.

They could fight GI Chakotey, Medic Paris, RAF O'Brian and RAF Bashir

Comments

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    These versions of Kirk and Spock were trying to infiltrate. To find out what was going on and set it right.

Still could work, with the right story.

Chakotay and Paris thought they were in ww2 fighting Germany. Vosh was fighting his temporal war Germany was just a tool for that war.

Incorporating all this sounds more like a megaevent.
  • edited April 2018
    0%. Both uniforms contain non-constitutional symbols and will be banned in a number of countries around the world. I would say, just forget about it :)

DB can never do that in a million years.

EDIT: unless they remove the symbols, but it could still be taken as offense if the uniforms look similar.
  • Thats what i was thinking. Odds were low unless they removed the swastika. Would be a great tool for a mega event..."ghosts from the past" temporal anamoly has reopened old wars. If not with ww2 then maybe with the eugenics wars...ww3...would be a good temporal cold war event....plus you could introduce Gary 7 too
  • The odds should be 0. If DB was adding versions from Patterns of Force the game would be banned in Germany right away.

In Germany it is not allowed to show NS-Symbols in public, even the uniforms and runes could be a legal problem. There is an exception for art, so it is ok in movies but so far courts have not accepted games as art. There is only an old late 90ies court ruling stating this which was and still is wildly critizied and almost everybody believes that this court ruling wouldn't survive a higher court rouling (it is indeed very bad on a basic legal level). By now, no company has tried to take the legal way to get this old ruling overruled and it will probably never happen. It won't give much nice PR if a company is fighting to show NS symbols in public in Germany.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Raynor wrote: »
    The odds should be 0. If DB was adding versions from Patterns of Force the game would be banned in Germany right away.

In Germany it is not allowed to show NS-Symbols in public, even the uniforms and runes could be a legal problem. There is an exception for art, so it is ok in movies but so far courts have not accepted games as art. There is only an old late 90ies court ruling stating this which was and still is wildly critizied and almost everybody believes that this court ruling wouldn't survive a higher court rouling (it is indeed very bad on a basic legal level). By now, no company has tried to take the legal way to get this old ruling overruled and it will probably never happen. It won't give much nice PR if a company is fighting to show NS symbols in public in Germany.

Not to mention, I doubt DB has the resources, or is willing to spend them, to overturn a court ruling in Germany that they could just avoid running into a problem with in the first place.
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a precedent for them "sanitizing" a uniform.
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/File:Colonel_Karr_Full.png
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I think many people in Europe and North America are unaware that the Swastika is thousands of years old, and is in fact a very positive symbol to many peoples, especially from parts of Asia.
    I know in the city where I live, it is displayed where all can see it on a Buddhist building.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    I think many people in Europe and North America are unaware that the Swastika is thousands of years old, and is in fact a very positive symbol to many peoples, especially from parts of Asia.
    I know in the city where I live, it is displayed where all can see it on a Buddhist building.

in the same orientation or reversed in direction?
  • Jim RaynorJim Raynor ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Not to mention, I doubt DB has the resources, or is willing to spend them, to overturn a court ruling in Germany that they could just avoid running into a problem with in the first place.

In Germany the legal fees and costs are not even close to the US. It is very cheap compared to US costs, especially since the possible monetary penalty is way lower, unless you fight for billions, our legal system doesn't know punitive damages. So no extra money there to get.

But the problem in this case would be that this would be about a potential criminal offense forbidden by the German Fedaral Criminal Code. Trying to get this old ruling overruled will be legaly tricky anyway to avoid potential criminal charges. So just adding and showing NS-symbols and wait for criminal prosecution or a trial is the worst way to get this done.

I think most of us are well aware that the Swastika is a very old symbol, as most NS-symbols are historical symbols not invented by the Nazis, but still due to their strong symbolic and our history it is banned in Germany (and Austria, I think there is no other country with such strict laws regarding these symbols).

I think Karr is an example on how far you can go without risking legal trouble, but especially this topic is something I would avoid at all costs as a games company in Germany. Or if you want to touch this, have an army of lawyers to check and double check everything. You don't want to know what happened to Wolfenstein over here...

Cultures are different, in Europe nudity is not a big topic, hardly anybody cares about it, or Australia where Drugs in games are a huge problem, I think Fallout had to be altered in the Australien version to not show the usage of drugs.
  • Btw Patterns of Force was first aired in Germany on free tv in 2011 (!) (pay tv first aired it 1999) and released in 1996 on VHS. Before these dates the episode was considered as "banned" even it wasn't banned in a legal sense, everybody was afraid to air or release it.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Raynor wrote: »

In Germany the legal fees and costs are not even close to the US. It is very cheap compared to US costs, especially since the possible monetary penalty is way lower, unless you fight for billions, our legal system doesn't know punitive damages. So no extra money there to get.

But the problem in this case would be that this would be about a potential criminal offense forbidden by the German Fedaral Criminal Code. Trying to get this old ruling overruled will be legaly tricky anyway to avoid potential criminal charges. So just adding and showing NS-symbols and wait for criminal prosecution or a trial is the worst way to get this done.

I think most of us are well aware that the Swastika is a very old symbol, as most NS-symbols are historical symbols not invented by the Nazis, but still due to their strong symbolic and our history it is banned in Germany (and Austria, I think there is no other country with such strict laws regarding these symbols).

I think Karr is an example on how far you can go without risking legal trouble, but especially this topic is something I would avoid at all costs as a games company in Germany. Or if you want to touch this, have an army of lawyers to check and double check everything. You don't want to know what happened to Wolfenstein over here...

Cultures are different, in Europe nudity is not a big topic, hardly anybody cares about it, or Australia where Drugs in games are a huge problem, I think Fallout had to be altered in the Australien version to not show the usage of drugs.

Ah, I see.

I was imagining the cost of hiring said army of lawyers, though, mostly. I think.

I, too, am aware that the swastika is an old symbol that was bastardized for other purposes that have nothing to do with its original intentions.

But it's still a symbol of a very dark time in history, and relatively recent history at that.
    edited April 2018
    Ah, I see.

I was imagining the cost of hiring said army of lawyers, though, mostly. I think.

I, too, am aware that the swastika is an old symbol that was bastardized for other purposes that have nothing to do with its original intentions.

But it's still a symbol of a very dark time in history, and relatively recent history at that.

It really depends on the legal tactic or way you want to use. I assume legal costs would be in the thousands or a low 5 digit number (which could be partly or fully reimbursed in case you win, usually only if you lose you have to pay all legal fees by yourself), but it could take some time if this goes to the Federal Court of Justice or our Federal Constitutional Court. But, as always and probably in every country in the world, nobody can tell or garantuee your potential legal costs for sure. You can calculate them very accurate in advance but it depends on the outcome how much of them you have to pay, but usually you know the "worst case fees".

I think most companies are more afraid of the negativ PR this might cause.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the odds we'll get these versions of kirk and spock?

ca1k1zyxn23y.jpg

Could have a ww2 event i Suppose... Hirogen v Temporal Agents or something...they could also throw in a Nazi Vosk from Enterprise for good measure.

They could fight GI Chakotey, Medic Paris, RAF O'Brian and RAF Bashir

And human Silik

• edited April 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Wow, I highly recommend reading the wiki article on the Swastika.

TL;DNR version: swastika in both directions were used by hundreds of ancient and modern people groups across the globe.

I always thought the Nazi one was one direction and all the "clean"/ancient examples were the other. Turns out both directions were used throughout history.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭

TL;DNR version: swastika in both directions were used by hundreds of ancient and modern people groups across the globe.

I always thought the Nazi one was one direction and all the "clean"/ancient examples were the other. Turns out both directions were used throughout history.

This is correct... although in practice I notice it is reverse (left facing) on most East Asian temples and Buddha statues I have visited and seen. Also, I think the NS is not only right facing, it is generally tilted 45 degrees which the Asian one is usually straight.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭

It isn't just the swastika. It is a clear Nazi symbol when placed in front of the white and red background of the flag (as seen on Spock's helmet) or when it is being "carried" by the eagle (as seen on Kirk's cap). Of course, the swastika itself has come to represent Nazi-ism in the West, the target audience of STT. I don't know the specific laws of Germany and Austria, but I imagine the swastika itself is banned as opposed to only the entire Nazi flag.

Colonel Karr is a good example of "sanitation" of an offensive or illegal uniform. I could see them doing that here, if they wanted.
    edited April 2018
    If you are interested, there is a translation of the German Criminal Code, Section 86 and 86a:

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#p0868