Home The Bridge
Options

New Commander Sela offer is deceptive

YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
Be careful before you buy. Looks to me that they're trying to make this SEEM like an event pack offer, but it isn't... it doesnt include the new Troi or Picard... be weary!

Comments

• Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they got me. Shoulda read the damn thing more carefully, I suppose. I did get an elven Riker out of it though, so I guess that's...good?
  • Options
    I thought they put the wrong pack up.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, they made up a new pack that seems similar to the event pack and made a special offer on it and the special offer very much looks like one of the normal offers we get on event packs.... tricky tricky
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I don' t think its a deliberate deception but its very confusing.

The Sela pack does *not* come with 5 event packs, but with 5 older packs with different crew!
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    Not the same exactly...the Jadzia was a 5* for the same price
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s only deceptive if you don’t read the description before you buy. Don’t get me wrong - it’s odd that they would put in the old packs with Ambassador Spock and Mintakan Riker - but this is not a torches-and-pitchforks situation.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

No. That offer was $25 for a 1/5, this one is $10 for a 2/4.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many VIP points did you get?
  • Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »

No. That offer was $25 for a 1/5, this one is $10 for a 2/4.

Okay. Didn’t think I paid that much but I remember I got Chang to.
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    $10 purchase should be 500 VIP, although it doesn't specifically say that.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    How many VIP points did you get?

My understanding is that every offer gives the same VIP per dollar. So at $9.99, this would give the same VIP as a $9.99 dilithium purchase, 500.

The same is also true with bonus dilithium. This offer will give the same VIP level based bonus dilithium as a $9.99 dilithium purchase.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Antasil wrote: »
    I don' t think its a deliberate deception but its very confusing.

The Sela pack does *not* come with 5 event packs, but with 5 older packs with different crew!

It’s not a trick. It’s the same as the Jadzia offer a few weeks back. And you should appreciate that they geared it towards event bonus crew. Put your conspiracy hat away

Jadzia is a 5 star and didn't have an active event with other packs containing her active at the same time.
    For it to be the same as the Jadzia deal it should be Mintakin Riker prominently featured.
    Or they could have offers the other 4* in the pack.

If this were next Tuesday or even this past Tuesday id say no big deal.. The timing and the fact that it's so similar to a standard buy 2 for 33 (cnd) makes me call Hijinks.

Truth told, I was going to recommend my wife get this as I hadnt read it apparently throughly enough and didn't even realize until I found this thread. I was about to complement the idea of the 60% off of that deal for an active event with such a weak returning 4*.
    All ready to praise DB for an insightful, thoughtful and well timed offer.

Thank you YateBall for posting this.

Tisk tisk DB.
    If you want our money so bad, just put up a universal $10 for 10x already.
    Event or not, many would buy.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting the other event offers and was busy, said to myself “Sela’s event crew, go for it” Im after Picard and Troi really.

Its poorly timed, colored the same as the other ones and a little deceptive. I got another Riker out of it, nonetheless I feel a little shackled by DB here.

Im sure someone over the is laughing that someone fell for it....
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    The Sela offer is visually identical to the Picard offer next to it. They also have never done this kind of thing before. Not to mention that the past few weeks have had the cheaper offers available at the start of the event. The characters look similar to the current event crew (Sela is the same). Add in that every other pack active has the same pallete of blues and purples (there's some yellow on the Intelligent Design pack) and it's a recipe for disaster.

My friend bought it and didn't realize his mistake until after he started redeeming the packs.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I don't think its deceptive. It might be a lazy copy paste job but since they're offering Falcon Falls packs separately, I doubt it. Falcon Falls is the first time Sela was an event character.

Honestly I don't think this is a bad idea. You get a chance to add thematically appropriate event characters. Especially appropriate since it gives players a chance to get both Mintaken crew.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    It's a great deal. The 60% off sticker, definitely made me pause and examine it closely, so I didn't go for it (yet), but even 5 older event packs, chrons credits and 400 honor is tempting.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    I was unusually in a hurry and didnt examine it with a microscope.
  • Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    It's a great deal. The 60% off sticker, definitely made me pause and examine it closely, so I didn't go for it (yet), but even 5 older event packs, chrons credits and 400 honor is tempting.

I should add that it's *really* great if you don't have Ambassador Spock and Sela already FF (and you want them).
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the confusion. I personally like the idea of older crew being put on sale. Should do it more.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think the offers like this are nice. I can see how some people found it confusing or misleading due to the timing. Perhaps a banner or graphic saying it's "from the archives" or something to indicate it's a rerun offer?
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    The offer is nice but definitely deceptive. It should not be an event crew as that is extremely confusing. If it was a 2x bonus crew (like some other Romulan or Vulcan) then I'm all for it. I almost bought it just so I wouldn't have to do as much in the event but thankfully someone pointed out the bait and switch to me first.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some interesting ideas here on how to make different types of offers visually distinctive. But honestly, there is no better protection than to read before you buy.

The entire point of advertising is to grab your attention and trigger an impulse. Don't let it. Slow down. Read. Think. Then buy.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Falcon Falls pack info button is wrong stating its Event Characters for THIS event. (Picard/Troi/Sela)

But the picture is right, the info button wrong...lol its like opposite day. (Rom in the Mirror universe moment.)
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    There are some interesting ideas here on how to make different types of offers visually distinctive. But honestly, there is no better protection than to read before you buy.

The entire point of advertising is to grab your attention and trigger an impulse. Don't let it. Slow down. Read. Think. Then buy.

Thats kind of exactly why I made this thread too, sadly it looks like a few people still got fooled
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »
    I think the offers like this are nice. I can see how some people found it confusing or misleading due to the timing.

The timing is good really. Despite her lousy stats Sela is event crew. In case Spock should drop he will also be of use in the event. And in best case the 2 (Imzadi) Mintakans Troi and Riker could be united during the event.

A nice, thematically fitting experiment by DB to give kinda useful event crew etc. for those who need them for a good price. Also it clearly shows who is in, it clearly states the event name from which it is. Good eyesight and/or glasses are a blessing ;)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

Thats kind of exactly why I made this thread too, sadly it looks like a few people still got fooled

Well if you read the info Button on the Falcon Falls pack you'd not have been happy with the result of buying lol.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Yateball wrote: »

Well if you read the info Button on the Falcon Falls pack you'd not have been happy with the result of buying lol.

For sure... doesn't help that Sela is such trash. If however it was 2x Sela with the current event packs I may have rolled the dice
  • Options
    arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭
    I too was fooled. I made the purchase and then went over and saw that it didn't include the event packs. I think the idea is fine but they need to be clearer on the offer when they have had so many similar ones in the past
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I don't have any of those crew and we're going to get 1 of Sela as a community reward, so I'll get the deal and hope the bonus cards give me one more Sela and perhaps Elf Riker.

Then I can be threshold and out, spending my save chronitons for leveling crew.

Too bad I screwed up the jump start.