Home The Bridge
Options

Troi was not an alcoholic

Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
I get it, there was one funny scene in First Contact where Troi drank *real* tequila instead of synthhol. I find it unfortunate that every single iteration of Troi in this game requires copious amounts of alcohol, for the ships counselor who was portrayed as intoxicated for maybe 3 minutes onscreen in a film that took place after TNG ended. We have a Troi from First Contact to equip with booze, the reference is already where it needs to be. 4 alcohols just to build her 2* level dress from Who Watches the Watchers? Did she, I don’t know, raid the proto-vulcan liqour cabinet
while tied to a chair with a bow and arrow aimed in her face
? It’s long bothered me, but to yet again force the alcohol into such an impactful episode variant is just offensive DB. Give up the drunkard Troi thing already, it sullies her character.

And I will head off the inevitable “Cake Troi” being a ‘rum cake’ joke. Just... no.

Comments

• Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    It is a cellular peptide cake.

Only until DB gets ahold of the recipe
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Elynduil wrote: »
    I find that lots of items that boost DIP require copious amounts of alcohol.

Now, I don't know about you, but several drinks later, I'm less diplomatic, not more...

I get the champagne in a diplomatic protocol. I hate to build it, 3* is always replicator bate, but I get it. That said, I agree totally. Sometimes I wonder about diplomacy and what DB thinks it means, too. So many diplomacy cards waving around weapons, like Laas and Disguised Kira, or Ushaan Shran who is settling a debate with a huge knife in his art...
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    I get it, there was one funny scene in First Contact where Troi drank *real* tequila instead of synthhol. I find it unfortunate that every single iteration of Troi in this game requires copious amounts of alcohol, for the ships counselor who was portrayed as intoxicated for maybe 3 minutes onscreen in a film that took place after TNG ended. We have a Troi from First Contact to equip with booze, the reference is already where it needs to be. 4 alcohols just to build her 2* level dress from Who Watches the Watchers? Did she, I don’t know, raid the proto-vulcan liqour cabinet
    while tied to a chair with a bow and arrow aimed in her face
    ? It’s long bothered me, but to yet again force the alcohol into such an impactful episode variant is just offensive DB. Give up the drunkard Troi thing already, it sullies her character.

And I will head off the inevitable “Cake Troi” being a ‘rum cake’ joke. Just... no.

Why on earth do you find alcohol offensive? We oft see her in 10 forward. Maybe she would *prefer* alcohol over sythehol, but either way it doesn't change her character one iota. Stop attributing value to other people's choices, perhaps? (Is there even synthehol in this game? Isn't it just Starfleet making alcohol worse? Scotty certainly thought so!)
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    You took the Worf out of my meowth, Osiris! Hahaha. :) Butt I agree, there's too much alcoholodeck going on for Troi.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    She's also not vulcan in spite of what DB thinks.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Why on earth do you find alcohol offensive? We oft see her in 10 forward. [/quote]

I don’t find alcohol offensive, and never said that. All my klingons enjoy their warnog, my cardassians their kanar and Scotty his cups of choice. It’s the overuse with Troi specifically. She was often in 10 Forward, but chocolate was her vice as clearly expressed by the show on numerous occasions. In this particular instance (Mintaken Troi), the away mission in the episode was one of a highly sensitive nature regarding the prime directive, so incorporating 4 bottles of alcohol into her dress before such a mission seems silly. There has to be some other component in the game that in bulk grants diplomacy. And if she were a drinker in ten forward, then I think between her now implied social and medical background, would not have been so easily taken in by Cochrane’s real tequila. Frankly, her relationship with Riker and Guinan always made me wonder a bit about that scene and her feigned ignorance of the drink, but it was obviously a lighthearted joke before the Borg killed half the crew so I forgave it. I’m no prohibitionist by any means, but my point was the Troi builds too often make her look like a lush.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    It is a cellular peptide cake.

With mint frosting.

You beat me to it

• Options
    The FishThe Fish ✭✭✭
    Most characters take large amounts of various alcohols in their builds honestly. Its not really a judgement on them as people saying they are alcoholics but rather several of the limited amount of items they have to make builds from.
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    The Fish wrote: »
    Most characters take large amounts of various alcohols in their builds honestly. Its not really a judgement on them as people saying they are alcoholics but rather several of the limited amount of items they have to make builds from.

precisely. I remember being very worried when I had to level my Dark Ages McCoy with Liquor stores worth of alcohol and entire college courses worth of medical lessons.... ;-)
  • Options
    They did the same thing with Lwaxana. Instead of giving any thought in regards to her items, they just assigned her every single type of alcohol in the game.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the idea is that drinking is a social activity?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don’t they always drink synthehol anyway?