Home Ready Room
Options

Proper Use of Citations

I have a backlog of Super Rares and wanted opinions on the best use of honor. I have ~37k currently.

I have a few SR that are 3/4 and are lower-tier cards such that I could add a star to and put in cryo. They are:
Rakal Troi
Chief O’Brien
Temporal Agent Seven
Dahar Master Kor
Civil War Worf
Mirror K’Ehleyr

I have a few others but they aren’t level FE 100 yet so I’ll leave them out for now.

Or, am I better off using them to move up legendarily such as Surak to get him 5/5 and FF/FE? I also have several SR that are useful that I could cite to FF/FE 100 such as:

RAF Bashir
Mirror Jadzia
Mirror Garak
Tourist Quark
Undercover O’Brien
Captain Proton Paris
Commando Shran (its Combs, I can’t just freeze him)

Am I short on crew slots? Aren’t we all? Yes. I have 130.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I personally prefer to save honor for legendary citations. But if you are not fussed I would suggest citing the purples that are newest eg Tourist Quark and Mirror Jadzia, they are not yet in portal/voyage drops and are good for Voyages - but so is Surak and other Legendaries you may have.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    My general philosophy around using Honor is to apply it in ways that get me something I otherwise either cannot obtain somewhere else in the game, or at least not any time soon. For example, if I were to choose to buy a Citation to take a 3/4* to FF'd, I would target a more recently released character who cannot yet be obtained from either Voyages or a pack in the Time Portal. If you were to follow this strategy, then I would suggest you focus working on getting some newer Super Rares you have to Level 100 / FE, instead of using Citations on the older crew you have listed, who are available in Voyages.

Since you mention crew slots being a concern, if you use Honor on Super Rares, I would suggest definitely picking those who are you content with putting into the Cryostasis Vault long-term.
  • Options
    P-RexP-Rex ✭✭
    There is no real "right or wrong" decision, it can only be what you feel is most useful to you right now with the tools you have.
    Both options have an upside and downside.
    get more honour and cite surak (good numbers, useful. but, you aren't going to freeze a 5/5. So not making space in that option).
    Use the 37k to cite and freeze 2 mediocre SR. (2 slots open, is two slots a massive help though? plus, surak is still under potential for being most use to you. And it's a long way back to building up 37k honour again).
    That also applies to adding a citation to "useful" SR, like raf Basir etc, you need them to use so yes better numbers, but not freeing any spaces.
    My personal take on what you have said if it was my game, i would cite 2 SR, just to get them off the table and out of the way. (Which i actually did a few nights ago, with 3 SR.)

But really, better numbers on legends is more use, long term.
    However, you went through the chrons and equipment to get the SR up to 100, so airlocking them is a waste and probably never going to appen. Leaving them laying around taking up space is a waste. I have no idea how often you get packs or offers to try to get a last copy of them. So they could, for all i know, take up space for months before you get one from a pack from community rewards.
    That would be my thinking behind your situation, and why i would just cite/freeze two SR.
    but it is your game, and honour to do what you think best. (I am sure plenty of people would disagree with my assessment, but you asked for advice and options, and so for what it is worth, that is my thoughts on it.)
    Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use purrple citations on Voyage-Only crew which you can't get in regular purrtals.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only once spent honor on a super rare citation, which was Tommy Gun Dixon because I couldn’t wait to have him immortalized (one of my absolute favorite Picard moments in all of Trek). I prefer to spend honor on legendary citations - the stat boost you get is far greater than what you get from an SR citation.

That and all of the previous advice having been said: be wary of the sunk cost fallacy when it comes to airlocking crew. Anyone at 1/4* and, say, level 50 or below should be a possible airlock candidate, even the exclusive voyage crew (some have argued for airlocking crew with more stars and at any level). Yes, you expended a lot of components and chrons to level them but chrons and components can be replaced. If holding onto a useless 1/4* is keeping you from getting a 3/4*, 4/4*, or 1/5* that would be useful, don’t be afraid to push them out of an airlock.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your ingame inbox... ;)
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no "proper use" for citations ... and no, with 130 slots I'm not short on crew slots (I actually have a few open). :)

But ... that aside ... here's how I look at citations:

(if I've chosen to use it on a 4* and not save for a 5* - I cite all Mega-event 5*s during week 1)
    - I would only cite crew who are NOT part of the current portal pool.
    - Options to cite are Voyage-only crew or new event crew for FACTION events (e.g. Ishka if she happens to be this week's Threshold reward).

And that is it ... I' won't spend it on anyone else. So ... what does that mean for you:

- The 3/4 list you give all fall under NO.
    - The second set also all fall under NO, I'm sure both Mirror Jadzia and Tourist Quark will be in the portal soon. And if not, that are actually decent FE and non-FF, so not bad to have around anyway.

So, my advice would be ... either add a star to a Voyage-only crew or cite Ishka if she is Threshold ... cite her asap and you'll get most use out of her during the event ... then on Monday, when the event is over you can freeze her.

As for full crew quarters ... just freeze your immortalised 4*s ... if you go through your list you'll see that many non-FF crew will be just as good as many of your immortalised 4*s.
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the advice. Part of my crew slot issue is that I have 27 purples at 1* or 2* at level 1. I know I can clean them out and be done with my slot issue. I haven’t had time to go through them partly due to my two little ones and partly due to leveling crew for the recent mega. I have a pretty good crew overall and for the sake of you all and not being difficult I won’t list the 27 here since without knowing the rest of my crew it’d be hard to give me advice on who to keep. I’m shallow on MED and ENG as well as a bit on CMD so I going to focus my attention there and pitch the rest out the old airlock.
  • Options
    If i may add my two strips of latinum here ...

Honour is hard to come by in large quantities so i understand that you don't want to waste it .
    We're all short on crew slots , and when it starts coming to Super Rares , i'm often hesitant to airlock some in case i drop them again in a future pack . But we have to make do with the slots we have , and use our Honour wisely .

I prefer to use Honour for Citations now that i get a small but steady amount of it every day ( don't remind me of the time i used it for Training programs ) . As it was mentioned before , there's a handful of Super Rares that you can't drop from Voyages or anything , and those may just be the ones you'd like to level , and that's where Citations come in handy . But , make sure it's worth it , that you don't spend 18k on a Citation to get the last star of a character that you might drop in the next pack you open .

It also depends what is your primary objective ? Saving space ? Or immortalize good characters ?
    I usually check on the Timelines Wiki the end stats of each , airlock the mediocre SR to collect additional honour and make room , and keep the good ones that i'm likely to use for a while because my Legendaries are still lacking the starts to beat SRs when it comes to stats . Keep the bare minimum of Common , Uncommon and Rare for Riker's challenges , Freeze the older characters you don't use anymore ...

Oh and RAF Bashir is definitely one of the SR you want to immortalize , i used 36k Honour on citations for him and i don't regret it . And if you see that you're going to be busy for a while leveling and gearing SRs and you won't be needing any Citation soon , i'd let myself be tempted by a Legendary behold ...
  • Options
    Whatever your strategy (as these are all good ones), a FF/FE 5* like Surak is more useful than any of the 4* crew you have listed. Also, as mentioned by others in this thread, many of your 4* crew will show up in voyages and pulls. Don't waste 18.5k honor on someone who's just gonna go into the freezer, even if they complete a collection. It's just not worth it, even for the aforementioned RAF Bashir. If you find yourself short on crew slots, I'm sure you have some 1/4* that you can dump that won't show up in the portal for months.

Save another 13k honor and grab the citation for Surak. You'll be happy that you did.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever your strategy (as these are all good ones), a FF/FE 5* like Surak is more useful than any of the 4* crew you have listed. Also, as mentioned by others in this thread, many of your 4* crew will show up in voyages and pulls. Don't waste 18.5k honor on someone who's just gonna go into the freezer, even if they complete a collection. It's just not worth it, even for the aforementioned RAF Bashir. If you find yourself short on crew slots, I'm sure you have some 1/4* that you can dump that won't show up in the portal for months.

Save another 13k honor and grab the citation for Surak. You'll be happy that you did.

That’s what I’m going to do. That 1209 SCI and proficiencies make him too much of a beast to pass up on. I used that freebie SR citation yesterday for RAF Bashir.

You’re right about the slots too, I cleaned out a couple yesterday but I have many 1 or 2 star purples that are weak cards.

After that I’ll start saving to add some more stars to my 3/5 Borg Queen or 2/5 dark ages McCoy.