Home The Bridge

Faction Event Burnout

Hey guys whats your opinion about 4 weeks of shuttle events in 5 weeks of eventing, setting 24/7 alarms for 4 days for a month isnt really fun or is it? Can we PLEASE get new event types how hard can it be. Expedition events anyone? Massive Fleet battle events? Anything other then setting alarms lol

Comments

• Well i didn't see too many alarms but i have burnt through nearly all my time boosts so would like a chance to rebuild them up but the next even it s a galaxy event.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    There are only two event types now, with expedition coming twice a year perhaps. But I do suspect there will be a new ship battle event coming soon. On facebook, both the profile picture for Timelines and the background picture have changed to a ship. And in the Q&A with Erin it was strongly hinted that this was planned in the near future.

• JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expedition is maybe no alarm clock setting, but very time consuming while you're at it. Same with Galaxy if you're cumpeting siriusly. A voyage event would be sweet with dilemmas all eight hours or so, whole voyage duration 4 days (event duration baysickly), with a goal to get VP through hazards and dilemma choices.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • There is burn out on both Faction and Galaxy at times. I have switched from preferring Galaxy to not caring if the event is Galaxy or Faction. I still hate Expedition events.
  • Gib wrote: »
    There is burn out on both Faction and Galaxy at times. I have switched from preferring Galaxy to not caring if the event is Galaxy or Faction. I still hate Expedition events.

I hate Expedition events too but, I have to admit that seeing how it takes to replicate all the items, I really don't know which of them is worst between Galaxy and Expedition events, on the contrary, Faction events are not time consumming!
  • P-RexP-Rex ✭✭
    I have never set an alarm for a game in my life. But each to their own i guess.
    I honestly don't mind faction events, they require very little beyond what i would do normally, show up, turn shuttles around, set double reward boosts overnight. So i'm doing nothing out of the ordinary, not even using speed up boosts, and still have the three Ishka, and her dress, which is all i need from faction events.

Galaxy i enjoy less, because whoever i am working on equipping or leveling gets ignored while the chrons that would have helped finish them get eaten in the builds. But when you save chrons and start the builds, with a good run you can be done in a day or two, depending how it goes. Which is more time consuming at the time, than shuttles, but for only at most, or at least for me usually spread over two days. (other players may take longer or shorter, terms and conditions apply!)

But i think if you are setting alarms and finding the amount of faction events to be burning you out, pick a few events to skip out on. Or at least not try so hard with, if the people in it are a bit "meh" in your opinion, just send shuttles as you would on a tuesday, over the weekend.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    better faction events than galaxy events. Galaxy events cause game progression to come to a grinding halt. with faction events, you can at least keep playing the game by leveling people, completing missions, etc.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, my wordz as well. I purrfurr faction events, because I don't need to stop my usual playing behavior, except having to do a kickstart on Purrsday evening and limiting meowself to certain factions during the event.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need about 3 other event types that work, which means DB probably has to try at least 5. Faction events are definitely the least bad of what we've got. Expeditions were designed by Satan.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two event types and a hybrid which ends up being the worst of both. 2/3 weeks you get faction and 2/3 you get galaxy. I'm burned out of all events. DB needs to do something new.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA: It's ok to NOT set alarms for a Faction Event and fall a little back in the ranks once or twice if you're feeling burnout effects like this
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I would like more variety in events but I'll take faction events over galaxy events any week. Faction events just take time. Galaxy events take huge amounts of resources that could be used for leveling crew.

So with a faction event you continue to use your components (and gain new components) and chronitons to work on your crew and advance your game, where a galaxy event brings your crew progress to a halt since all chronitons have to go to the feed the event monster and deplete your components.

I'm all for more Expedition events and other new event types.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is asinine in some respects, but I'd love a Trek Trivia question event. Bonus crew for the question type buys you more time to answer.

Think HQ with bonus crew benefits, but the clock starts when you enter the event with randomized questions.

Hey its an idea.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    better faction events than galaxy events. Galaxy events cause game progression to come to a grinding halt. with faction events, you can at least keep playing the game by leveling people, completing missions, etc.

Funny, I find the FF crew from Galaxy events allows me to play the game by leveling people, etc. It allows my usual gameplay of pre-farming to come to a grinding halt. ;)
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I know this is asinine in some respects, but I'd love a Trek Trivia question event. Bonus crew for the question type buys you more time to answer.

Think HQ with bonus crew benefits, but the clock starts when you enter the event with randomized questions.

Hey its an idea.

As fun as that might seem, I would absolutely hate that. A timer would make it a nightmare unless you had the ability to pause it, which would then defeat the purpose of a timer. Real life interrupts game play all the time. Plus everyone could very quickly answer every question just by having Google up on another device and quickly searching.
  • [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    I never set timers for factions but am always solid top 1k. You need four shuttle slots, a good opening strategy, and the time to do some timer boost runs during the day time. I will typically wake up once a night anyways and will turnover shuttles then if I do before falling asleep again. Otherwise, I'll just jump on it when I wake up. I even used nine hour boosts last night. slipped a 100 or so slots but the rewards don't justify caring from 25-1000 to be honest.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • I vastly prefer Galaxy events as I can choose when I want to participate during the event, and don't need to spend every waking minute monitoring.

I became so burnt out on Expeditions before the node crit rule change that they still leave a bad taste. I think I'd rather have another Expedition than a Faction event, though. I don't want to feel tied to my devices all weekend, especially if I have family events or travel. Without 4 shuttles, I have trouble reaching all the thresholds in a Faction event anymore. I just can't be bothered, and end up with an unfinished toon that won't soon be FF.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love a simple 20 degree off overhead tap where you want phasers to fire at Ds9 Defending event.

Crew slots / battle stations provide bonus to recoup Shields and boost weapons like current battle system.

Number of kills = VP points,
    3 tickets to start, earn or buy more.
  • The Expedition events wouldn't be so bad. If we could actually farm items while replaying them.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    For me, regardless of the event type, the biggest cause of burnout is the length. Doing the same thing for 96 hours, spread across 5 days (events start at 10:00 am Thursday morning and end at 10:00 am Monday morning for me), is draining. I also don't like the event / non-event balance, where I only have 3 days a week to play STT the way I want to, since 4 days a week are dedicated to the event.

I would much rather see events run just 48 or 72 hours, spread across 2-4 days. From week to week, events could even run on different days instead of just over weekends, as yet another way to change things up and give equal opportunity to all gamers.

--

I personally prefer faction, mainly because I only need to be on for about 5 minutes at a time, and can continue doing everything else within the game while the event is running. Obviously the down side is needing to login every 3 hours, including overnight, but that part is my choice (to a point). If I'm playing an event I prefer to do as well as possible, but that's just because I'm a competitive person (though I basically have to if I want to get a fully fused 4* from the ranked rewards). I do like figuring out my best shuttle alignment for 4 missions that I'll run over and over, but that's out of the way by the time I finish my second wave of 4k shuttles, after which it becomes redundant every 3 hours.

As for galaxy, I find it's a long, monotonous waste of chronitons and equipment. These days, you basically need to be starting with around 4,000 chronitons (with a supply kit) and decent event crew (for rare reward drops), if you have any hope of finishing in the top 1,000. The process is slow and repetitive, and the animations are a complete waste of time. This event has the absolutely lowest requirement for strategy... tap tap tap.

I actually really enjoy the expedition events, and don't find them to be the least bit time consuming since the 1-hour limit was removed. I love the strategy required during your first run through, and do take the time to get invested in the plot. Once you get your crew strategy determined, allowing you to maximize the bonus points for every reward on every mission, I find I can run through each subsequent ticket in about 10-15 minutes. Of course, once you have your mission strategies and crew rotations set, completing the missions become as redundant as a galaxy event, just in shorter bursts.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Another issue that I feel leads to burnout during an event is when rewards (threshold and community) are claimed in the first half of the event, which makes the second half of the event feel that much more redundant and underwhelming.

For this past faction event, I cleared the thresholds within the first 48 hours. Clearing the personal rewards so quickly, coupled with practically no difference in ranked rewards between #76 and #1000, means motivation during the second half of the faction event is extremely low.

For the last galaxy event, I believe all the community rewards were cleared within the first 18-24 hours. If you drop a supply kit and burn through several thousand chronitons early on in the event, you're bound to clear thresholds within the first 24 hours as well. Yet again, there is very little incentive or motivation beyond that initial push during galaxy events, especially when the ranked rewards structure is factored in.

Give us all more to play for, or shorten the event length to better match the time required to clear rewards.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer faction compared to endless clicking
    DB: Do Better
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new event type can't come soon enough. Not for gameplay reasons, but to shake up the current two party system.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    For me, regardless of the event type, the biggest cause of burnout is the length. Doing the same thing for 96 hours, spread across 5 days (events start at 10:00 am Thursday morning and end at 10:00 am Monday morning for me), is draining. I also don't like the event / non-event balance, where I only have 3 days a week to play STT the way I want to, since 4 days a week are dedicated to the event.

I would much rather see events run just 48 or 72 hours, spread across 2-4 days. From week to week, events could even run on different days instead of just over weekends, as yet another way to change things up and give equal opportunity to all gamers.
    Agree.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like managing resources, managing burnout is part of this game (as it exists at this moment). A few weeks ago, I deliberately did threshold-and-out for the first time. It was weird to sit on the sidelines after the first 24hrs, but also refreshing. I recommend trying it when you get too burned.

More generally, I'm very much in favor of single-flavor events lasting only 3 days, with only the hybrids going for 4 days.
  • Gib wrote: »
    There is burn out on both Faction and Galaxy at times. I have switched from preferring Galaxy to not caring if the event is Galaxy or Faction. I still hate Expedition events.

I hate Expedition events too but, I have to admit that seeing how it takes to replicate all the items, I really don't know which of them is worst between Galaxy and Expedition events, on the contrary, Faction events are not time consumming!

I never replicate on Galaxy events. Just Warp 10 a mission that is less than 10 Chrons per mission.
  • Magisse wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »

Agree.

Yes agreed and I actually am burned out of having full weekend events.... I understand that many people have jobs where they are unable to attend to games but I feel that I have stuff to do on weekends and time to spend with people I care about where I do not waste time on a game... So I already choose to not work hard to rank in events because I have other things to do on weekends but I would love to have events more interchanged on weekdays sometimes weekends and maybe start at different times to allow peeps in other timezones to have a benefit.
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • I know we are supposed to be getting a new event type, but I hope they have a second new event type on it’s way too, because we really are completely lacking event diversity and have been for a looong time. I thought when they ditched expedition events they would replace it with something right away. I really wish they had because that only made faction and galaxy events that much more redundant. As far as hybrids go, I don’t dislike them, but why bother creating them? It’s just two halves of what already exists!
    STAR TREK JUNKIES