Home The Bridge

After second run of Rule 125, time to dissolve the Ferengi Traditionalists faction?

XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in The Bridge
lbhdsx7cb7ap.png
"We beat the Traditionalists." For the second time.

Update: Dissolving can mean merging the Ferengi Traditionalists with the Ferengi Alliance. :)
We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.

After second run of Rule 125, time to dissolve the Ferengi Traditionalists faction? 141 votes

Yes
80%
ADM Fletcher [ET][RotP]Ran Airen[DC] Principia[KM]VidemKnight RangerCaptainUnderpantsSabine of AthensCaptain DurfCanAus ToddFor Cardassia[NDQ] Joker41NAMXoiikuProsserData1001Rocpile[TUFG] SiguardNad HalKaitee[QH] Oxmyx[QH] He-Who-Meows 113 votes
Maybe
6%
PallidynePhotonKimal103Matt_DeckerTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Davey1983IronagedaveIshmael Marx[ISA] Big McLargeHuge 9 votes
No
13%
MordackehmigaIvanstoneIrialJohn Ham[10F] NewtonianQBallsJayBeezyGib - Admiral MarinersSST - 9of7GhostStalker[AR-UNI] General AbreTP:ToPetter ~SE~Primus<TGE> CliffordSarjoRanger Yogi[SJ] Yorksterguest_965692144361472lokutus 11 sosguest_970214244933634 19 votes

Comments

• Yes
    To be replaced [assimilated] by the Borg.
    Either the them or the Orion syndicate.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They could open up the game so much more by splitting up some of the factions that are combined now. Some of them even have their own ships, so...

Hirogen
    Andorian (As of ENT - not part of Federation)
    Xindi (as their own Faction, not part of the Dominion)
    Kazon
    Species 8472
    Tholian

Those are just the obvious ones to me. I also know there would be a huge coding development issue with even adding a single faction, so I'm not holding my breath for any changes.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Borg and Andorian I reckon. We need a few more Andorians to make a decent faction but they are a big part of the Star Trek Universe imo.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but considering the Alliance/Traditionalist division is built into episode four, I can imagine combining them as a faction might end up causing a whole load of extra work.

Likewise it'd probably have knock-on effects in an episode, but I really feel like the Hirogen faction doesn't pull its weight compared to the others - there's only a few Hirogen, their 'numbers' are bulked out by the Voyager crew in WWII costumes which is a bit silly, and let's be honest they're a shambles of a 'civilisation' (they even admit it). I kind of think they could be easily enough replaced by a Delta Quadrant faction - the existing Hirogen, Borg characters (let's say they're post-Unimatrix and free, I mean how else are Borg being other people's bridge crew anyway), that scientist dude with the slingshot, the Malon guy, Kes, Think Tank George Costanza, and so on. Have an event to intro their 'new look'. And while we're being ambitious, if the Ferengi get combined to open up a spot, maybe make the new faction Holograms - toss in a couple of new characters from the episode where the Hirogen holograms rebelled and have them gather all the other holograms to their cause (not necessarily violent revolution, just 'we deserve rights too', like the Doctor with his novel). There's plenty in the game.
  • [DC] Principia[DC] Principia ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Put the Ferengi into one faction together, make one Delta Quadrant faction that can take on all of the Borg/Hirogen/Kazon/etc. stuff, that'd be great. Of all the things DB has told us would require a huge amount of work, though, I totally believe that having to fiddle around with a bunch of faction changes would be monumental.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    Yes, but considering the Alliance/Traditionalist division is built into episode four, I can imagine combining them as a faction might end up causing a whole load of extra work.

This is why while we may eventually see factions added we probably won't see any existing ones changed or eliminated (and given their underlying code issues).
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

This is why while we may eventually see factions added we probably won't see any existing ones changed or eliminated (and given their underlying code issues).

See, I would think the opposite. You give some of the Ferengi Traditionalist faction-only items to the Ferengi Alliance, and then just use the Traditionalist faction as a "template" of sorts, and replace all previous Ferengi Traditionalist references and items with references and items from a new faction (Unimatrix Zero, for example).

Adding a brand-new faction to what already exists seems like it would take a whole lot more coding, I should've thought.

But then I will admit to limited knowledge of such things, and thus I may be "pontificating out of my posterior", so to speak...

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    If dissolving means merging, then fine. The traditionalists have a few unique items that still need to be farmed.

Borg makes sense to me as a replacement. There are plenty of them in the game now, and their build items could use another source.

Or Vulcan. It doesn't make much story-sense, but for gameplay reasons, with as many Vulcans as the game has, the option to specifically farm for them separately from the other Federation crew would work for me.

I updated the OP to specify that dissolving means merging. I thought that was implicit, but that isn't the first time I've made that mistake, and won't be the last. :)

Updating the episode missions would take work, but it would also demonstrate that the choices we made actually matter. Alternatively, given that we are using chronitons to run those missions, does that mean we are traveling to previous timelines? As such, those episodes could remain as they are, while the current factions update to reflect the changes in the present timeline.
    We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
    Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Brunt will have his revenge. Even if its non-canonical.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe
    While I'd be happy to see the two Ferengi factions combined into one, for reasons stated above it would cause significant follow-on changes to one of the episodes in the game. So it looks like a huge programming lift, and I'd rather see DB focus limited resources elsewhere.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • SarjoSarjo ✭✭
    No
    Really believe DB could merge the two without a massive (opposite of hen) up? I don’t. By all means have another faction in addition to the others. I have max honour for all factions so would appreciate that. Far better to give time and attention to new content. The episode rivalry among the Ferengi in the game mean the two having own faction centres makes sense.
  • XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Would it be accurate to say that most of the No's and Maybe's are mostly about opportunity cost and path dependency?

Opportunity Cost, meaning that No and Maybe people would rather have DB work on other features.
    Path Dependency, meaning that No and Maybe people think that merging the factions would take more work because it might also require changing those episode missions.

Aside from those concerns, it seems like most would be in favor of it. Particularly, if it could result in the addition of a new faction.
  • No
    please make a borg event were we can get borg crew and schematics