Home Ready Room
Options

Tip For New(er) Players – Setting Up Crew To Farm In The Gauntlet (and Dabo)

IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ready Room
I realize there have been previous comments made in other threads related to this topic, but thought it might be helpful for new(er) players to have a detailed example presented to them.

When you are playing The Gauntlet and you earn one of the Streak Rewards, sometimes you will receive an Item as your prize. Ideally you would like the game to give you an Item that will help you when you go to equip your Crew. You can guide the game towards this end by strategically partially training a Crew member that you are not in a rush to have be more/fully equipped.

Regarding which character(s) in your active crew quarters you use for this purpose, you can use anyone that you feel works best for you, but I personally most often use my 2/4*characters that I have decided to keep for the long run – that is, these are characters I have decided I am not going to dismiss, and will continue to stay in my active crew quarters until I eventually get them to 4/4*. Whichever character(s) you use, what you want to do is train them up to the Level required for them to be able to equip the Item you wouldn’t mind having pop out of a Gauntlet Streak Reward for you. Here is a current example from my crew quarters:

lpw4uu45jxqw.png

For Dr. Toby Russell at Level 36 she requires a 2* Biological Sample Kit. Notice that she has reached the required Level, but the Item has not yet been equipped – this is the way to set things up in the game to tell it you would like for this Item to drop for you. That is, if you actually equip the Item, then it will not identified as being ‘needed’, and therefore the game will not make it more likely to drop for you. There are 2 reasons why I decided to encourage the game to give me this particular Item. Firstly, it is not a specialized Item only used by a single character, but something that has come up frequently for many characters already, as is likely to continue being used for other new characters in the future. Secondly, if I were to build this Item, I know it would consume multiple copies of the 0* Science Experiment, which most players know is not exactly the easiest item to farm. That is, if I win Biological Sample Kits in The Gauntlet, then it saves me using up my Basic Science Experiments.

Here is a current snapshot from my Inventory showing the results of my ‘efforts’ with this:

27djioa3974d.png

Just by having Dr. Toby Russell (who I am in no rush to equip while she is 2/4*) sit at Level 36, I have already accumulated at least 7 copies of the Uncommon Biological Sample Kits (I think I have in fact gotten more, but already used some up while equipping other Crew).

To maximize your efforts along these lines, you would have at least one Item across the different rarities exposed as being ‘needed’. There are no guarantees you will get what you want when you do this, but if this approach is not followed, then there is a much higher chance you will get something you don’t want ;)

If anyone requires further clarification regarding this, please ask a question!

Comments

• Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, great approach. I had left difficult gear slots available to drop before, but always equipped everything else. Stopping at the needed level needed is a better approach. I'm just not sure I could live with the permanent notification of available gear on a crew member I'm not interested in equipping.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal favorite is Edith Keeler at level 50:
    • 2* Civilian Diplomatic Dress
    • 3* Medical Experiment
    • 2* Poetry
    • 2* Stethoscope

• Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    My personal favorite is Edith Keeler at level 50:
    • 2* Civilian Diplomatic Dress
    • 3* Medical Experiment
    • 2* Poetry
    • 2* Stethoscope

Anything to do with Edith Keeler is a PITA because of all the medical experiments.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    @Dralix and @Marko Ramius make an excellent point - it is a good idea to target higher level Items whose builds include pieces of equipment that primarily drop from Faction Missions.
  • Options
    After playing for a year this idea of farming never occurred to me, sure i used the dabo wheel to get items for crews i wasn't it a rush for but never thought to use it to farm items on the gauntlet. I just equipped a 4* Biological sample kit on a level 80 characters by farming the 2* kit for a lower character saving me about 10 scientific equipment.
  • Options
    Fooly82Fooly82 ✭✭
    I know this question is off-topic, but how do i post a new topic in this forum? I see no button to start a topic, i can only post comments in existing topics.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have accidentally been doing a similar thing. Thank you very much for sharing. I will now be more purposeful.

Great idea to share.
  • Options
    Fooly82 wrote: »
    I know this question is off-topic, but how do i post a new topic in this forum? I see no button to start a topic, i can only post comments in existing topics.

You need to be level 2 i think to make a new topic so i have quoted you and marked as awesome and i think that should be you now able to create a new topic if not you need someone else to mark what you say as awesome.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fooly82 wrote: »

You need to be level 2 i think to make a new topic so i have quoted you and marked as awesome and i think that should be you now able to create a new topic if not you need someone else to mark what you say as awesome.

And you need to have joined at least two days ago. @Fooly82, your profile says it was created this morning, so you'll have to wait a day or so. We had huge spam problems on the previous STT forum, so these limitations were put in place to avoid that happening again.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Fooly82Fooly82 ✭✭
    Ah, ok, thank you CSR_Waylander and Data1001.