Home The Bridge

Starbases: Nine Month Warning

Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a heads up to DB that, assuming nothing changes, top fleets will be finishing the current starbase rooms in approximately 9 months (I've shown my work below, but that's not really the point here).

So far, you've grown starbases every time that we've completed the rooms. I implore you to implement a more permanent solution of sorts. Continually expanding stats rooms will be bad for the game, in the long run, as it will give top fleets an ever-widening advantage.

There have been many suggestions as to how this can be achieved. I hope you are able to heed this warning and decide which one would be best for the game moving forward and be ready to implement this by the end of the year, before we hit the end of current progression.
SSR's remaining rooms. Costs for Lvl10 proficiency rooms are not known, yet, so that's an estimate, but this number seems reasonable.
97w84fsm1673.png

Comments

• Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was addressed in the Q&A that they are discussing possible changes and the permanent solution that we were promised long ago.

c07zdp9s0xfo.jpeg
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was addressed in the Q&A that they are discussing possible changes and the permanent solution that we were promised long ago.

c07zdp9s0xfo.jpeg

And I would direct you to how they answered updating event rewards between the first and second Q&A to demonstrate how they can change directions even in a few months.

The problems, so far, has seemed that the maximizing of bases has always come as a surprise and the knee-jerk reaction has been to throw more rooms on the stack. My effort here is to make sure they know what the timeline is (even if it's loose and approximate). They've been warned, even if they aren't monitoring in-game progression directly.
  • jestergeniejestergenie ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've spotted this game few days ago and considering to make an account. For the moment I'm collecting information about the game. It seems to have a lot of designing problems. My main concern though would be too much randomness I suppose. What is the difference between top fleet's and mid fleet's starbase bonuses? Is this really such a big concern?
    edited May 2018
    I've spotted this game few days ago and considering to make an account. For the moment I'm collecting information about the game. It seems to have a lot of designing problems. My main concern though would be too much randomness I suppose. What is the difference between top fleet's and mid fleet's starbase bonuses? Is this really such a big concern?

Starbases add bonus values to characters base scores and proficiency rolls.

To demonstrate starbase power, consider the following, theoretical, character who has proficiency 100-200.

Three players have this character. One is fleetless (and no starbase bonuses). One is in a midlevel fleet with 5% bonuses. One is in a top fleet with 10% bonuses. I've also added two theoretical "future" players with 15% and 20% bonuses.

In a head-to-head matchup, these small bonuses add up very quickly (these are expected win rates for "mirror" matches given identical characters and crit%, but different starbase bonuses):
    cn8kdaxz7ubj.png

Consider next, that those players in the top fleets are also (very likely) running some of the best characters, so they already have a cooked in bonus for simply running a stronger crew. This sort of compound disparity makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to ever catch up.
    edited May 2018
    If these numbers are true then it is indeed a significant problem with a huge potential to explode. Another designing dark corner developer decided to go to I suppose. Star Trek seems to have very little luck as it comes to game developers.

And I would direct you to how they answered updating event rewards between the first and second Q&A to demonstrate how they can change directions even in a few months.

I have read this last Q&A. Seemed mostly idle or stalling.

I have read this last Q&A. Seemed mostly idle or stalling.

There's a lot of things in there that, if they deliver, sound good. They've released a significant feature every 6 months or so. Most recently (~2 months ago) they released collections which reward you for collecting a certain number of a certain crew. If you discount the need of RNG to collect the actual crew, it gives you something else to consider when picking characters to go after in events and which ones to pick in beholds.

I like to think I'm a pretty optimistic person in terms of what DB has done in the past. But the Q&A was a pretty big letdown in terms of specifics.
    I'm mostly interested in ship and ship battles. Now it seems the least compelling aspect of the game. Pretty disappointing. When I mentioned rng I meant all the "fighting" is done beside me. I'm not a big fan of such ideas and consider them poor designing choices. I can though quite easily assimilate idea of long-term collecting aspect based on rng.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while back I suggested a room that didn't play on card stats instead improved voyage and/or Shuttle recall
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4909/idea-new-star-base-room-quantum-mechanics-lab
    I hope they consider this even if it is going to be another short term measure.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the great analysis and doing the work for DB. I might add though that it's more likely only 8 months, as your numbers account for only 42,8 active members donating daily. I figure 48 or 49 is realistic. --> ~34k/day --> 237 days.
    edited May 2018
    SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Thank you for the great analysis and doing the work for DB. I might add though that it's more likely only 8 months, as your numbers account for only 42,8 active members donating daily. I figure 48 or 49 is realistic. --> ~34k/day --> 237 days.

Yea, my numbers are based on our average donations (just a mental estimate, haven't specifically tracked it). Obviously, there's room for improvement ;)

You guys are already a room or two ahead of us, so I'd expect you'll get there a bit before us too.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as an aside to show an example of the imbalance: during this galaxy event, and while leveling crew at the same time, I spent around 5K chrons yesterday on missions, and ended up with just 640 Holo-emitters for the day.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also remember that "top fleet" in terms of starbase does NOT mean a fleet that spends a ton of money. All you need is a good number of fleetmates actively donating the max amount every day. You don't need to spend a dime to farm starbase items.
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    Also remember that "top fleet" in terms of starbase does NOT mean a fleet that spends a ton of money. All you need is a good number of fleetmates actively donating the max amount every day. You don't need to spend a dime to farm starbase items.

Ehhhh. Yes, you are correct that activity is a very big factor. However, you CAN spend to speed up construction.

If two fleets are similarly active, but one has a handful of members paying to reset their donation cap along with some extra chrons here and there, then it will pull ahead.
  • Why not a room to get you more crew slots........
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    VIP 0 is working on level 96 for their base, so my Gluten friend is correct.
    Thank you to PR and the SSR folks for the continued stream of data to help make the things better than they were the day before.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not a room to get you more crew slots........

Get booted, lose slots. That can be very painful. That's why I don' think a good idea.
  • [NDQ] Joker41NAM[NDQ] Joker41NAM ✭✭✭✭
    Why not a room to get you more crew slots........

Actually, a Starbase room wouldn't work well, because if you leave a fleet you'd lose those slots, leaving you with an possible instant overflow of leveled crew. Who do you drop?

On the other hand, a Collection for slots would be great!
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭

Ehhhh. Yes, you are correct that activity is a very big factor. However, you CAN spend to speed up construction.

If two fleets are similarly active, but one has a handful of members paying to reset their donation cap along with some extra chrons here and there, then it will pull ahead.

Speeding up only speeds up the room being built, it does not speed up construction of the Starbase as a whole.

Trista
    edited May 2018

Speeding up only speeds up the room being built, it does not speed up construction of the Starbase as a whole.

Trista

You read the first paragraph without reading the second. I was referring to resetting your donations and buying chrons to speed construction.