Home Ready Room
Options

A year in review

I started playing STT a year ago this coming weekend and find myself at a weird position due to what to do next.

Currently I have:
  • All Cadet Missions Stars obtained
  • Currently top 1%, 5%, and 5% in the Arena rankings
  • 126/126 galaxy map stars obtained
  • I have about 7000 sorrytons in my mailbox
  • I can regularly get to 8hr Voyages without a refill
  • 210 crew slots, VP 12(200 away from 13), and 282 Immed
  • All 1*, 2*, and 3* crew are Immed
  • Of the 4*, I don't have 23 of them, 22 at 1/4 lvl 1, 18 at 2/4 FE, 19 at 3/4 FE and the others all all Immed.
  • I have level 1--1/5 Merry Worf, Gladiator McCoy, and Disguised Kira also in my crew.

At 210 crew slots, I don't have issues making room by removing weak FF 4* characters like Vic Fontaine. I have been tempted to place in top 1000 for awhile, but I won't if its a 2 trait 5 or like this current event if DB gives out a crazy 3100 chrons right before the event.

So a few questions I have are... Do I level up some of the 1/4s? Do I level up any of the 1/5s? Or do I spend Chrons amassing tons of items for next galaxy event?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Options
    Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    [*] 126/126 galaxy map stars obtained

Did you mean 1098/1098? 126 is just the first episode.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always do what I did a few months ago — not long after I hit my 1-year anniversary — make your next goal getting all your remaining crew FE. This will allow you to start building up resources a lot more quickly. Plus, it takes a big weight off your shoulders, so it feels very freeing to do! :)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only additional thing that matters is honor and immortalising all those legendaries. So do whatever maxes your honor gain.
  • Options
    [*] 126/126 galaxy map stars obtained

Did you mean 1098/1098? 126 is just the first episode.

Lol... i just completed all of episode 4 which was the 126... your right 1098
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing those three legendaries are the only ones that have only one star, and not that you only have three gold crew?

It sounds as though you're ready to start pushing for <1000 rank in the events, though I get holding out for one you really care about.

Also, you might as well take all your 2/4 and 3/4 super-rares to FE, since you seem to have a chroniton surplus. Particularly focusing on whichever ones are applicable to upcoming events, such as the DS9/Augment mega-event in June.

Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Most importantly, find an approach that will not burn you out.

I'm in the same spot, probably with more 4/4s immortalized

I am waiting for a major change in the game, especially the ones hinted at in last Q&A, Arena and Gauntlet are stale and boring, and event formats need more variety.

I don't chase 1/5s in events. Its been 12 weeks since I finished top 1000. All 1/5s do is clog up your crew space, and are probably similar (there is only so many skill combos) to ones you already have.

I stopped gauntlet, and I would stop arena if I didn't need the 5 matches for the daily 200 honor.

All I can say is keep immortalizing 4*s. I only have 19 black silhouttes in the vault for 4*. Get the number down where buying packs is hopeless because of your low needs and save chronos for the time they might become useful.

Voyages are your main focus, They create chronos and will slowly get you missing 4*s.

For daily work, Sometimes I only level up the card I'm working on 10 levels. I personally don't like leveling up non_FF, but if you don't mind, go ahead.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    You could always do what I did a few months ago — not long after I hit my 1-year anniversary — make your next goal getting all your remaining crew FE. This will allow you to start building up resources a lot more quickly. Plus, it takes a big weight off your shoulders, so it feels very freeing to do! :)

This sounds amazing and I'd love to do it but it also sounds impossible to me. We're getting new crew through events every week and I just can't keep up!

How did you do it? Did you just stop taking on new crew for a while? Did you skip a bunch of events and just focus on the crew that you've got perhaps?

I'm 7 months in to playing this game and starting to feel overwhelmed by the huge list of crew that I need to work on levelling.
    I don't chase 1/5s in events. Its been 12 weeks since I finished top 1000. All 1/5s do is clog up your crew space, and are probably similar (there is only so many skill combos) to ones you already have.

How about the 1/4s that you only get 3/4 of during faction events? Do you skip them too? I mean, I'm finding it frustrating to have a bunch of them sitting in my crew quarters that won't be FF any time soon because they presumably won't make it to the portal or to voyage loot for another year!

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So today our daily reward was two premium portal pulls. One of them surprisingly opens up to a BeGold. I picked Noonien Soong, new to me. An hour later, he's FE and sitting in my roster, never to be touched again. I would almost prefer a super rare, just so I knew finishing and storing it was a realistic possibility.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    So today our daily reward was two premium portal pulls. One of them surprisingly opens up to a BeGold. I picked Noonien Soong, new to me. An hour later, he's FE and sitting in my roster, never to be touched again. I would almost prefer a super rare, just so I knew finishing and storing it was a realistic possibility.

Nice, I need one more Soong for the Daystrom collection. I haven't seen him in a long time.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds amazing and I'd love to do it but it also sounds impossible to me. We're getting new crew through events every week and I just can't keep up!

How did you do it? Did you just stop taking on new crew for a while? Did you skip a bunch of events and just focus on the crew that you've got perhaps?

It sounded impossible to me, as well, when a fellow fleet-mate told me he was working toward that goal and hoping to do it in 4 or 5 months. I told him I thought it'd take me a year to do that myself. But then I started really thinking about it, and realized it was something I would love to accomplish. This in turn set me upon a more aggressive way of thinking about my crew roster...

Starting a couple of months prior to that point, I had begun collecting only the crew who I really wanted, not just anyone who I happened to get in Voyages (which I did earlier, because I had plenty of free space and figured "what the heck"). But I still had a lot of crew that I'd already collected, but who weren't characters or variants who I really cared about at all. When I decided to start working towards this goal, I decided to dump a bunch of those (even several who were FF at levels below 50). Now, I don't think this was an absolute necessity for what I wanted to accomplish, but if I hadn't, I'd likely still be finishing up in my quest to get everybody fully-equipped, rather than having completed it a few months ago.

When I got to a place where I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I became more and more eager to finish as quickly as I could... and that led me to do a lot of replicating of big-ticket items. I burned through all of my rations, then all of my surplus schematics, then a lot of trainers and starbase components — and also was very credit-poor for several weeks. Again, that wasn't a necessity for me to do that, but I was getting antsy and impatient, so I decided to tap into those reserves.

As far as events, I suppose it also helped a lot that since late last year, at least, I have been choosy about what events I'll go all-out for... "threshold and out" was the standard mantra if I wasn't particularly excited about the new crew being offered.

In any case, I ended up beating my fleet-mate to this goal by several months. ;) And I'm pleased with my decision to not only be very selective about new crew, but to get rid of existing crew who I didn't like or wouldn't use at all. Frankly, I haven't shed many tears about airlocking the likes of Fesek, Commander Kelby, Kurros, Lily Sloane, Riley Frazier, Tash, and others. :p

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounded impossible to me, as well, when a fellow fleet-mate told me he was working toward that goal and hoping to do it in 4 or 5 months. I told him I thought it'd take me a year to do that myself. But then I started really thinking about it, and realized it was something I would love to accomplish. This in turn set me upon a more aggressive way of thinking about my crew roster...

Starting a couple of months prior to that point, I had begun collecting only the crew who I really wanted, not just anyone who I happened to get in Voyages (which I did earlier, because I had plenty of free space and figured "what the heck"). But I still had a lot of crew that I'd already collected, but who weren't characters or variants who I really cared about at all. When I decided to start working towards this goal, I decided to dump a bunch of those (even several who were FF at levels below 50). Now, I don't think this was an absolute necessity for what I wanted to accomplish, but if I hadn't, I'd likely still be finishing up in my quest to get everybody fully-equipped, rather than having completed it a few months ago.

When I got to a place where I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I became more and more eager to finish as quickly as I could... and that led me to do a lot of replicating of big-ticket items. I burned through all of my rations, then all of my surplus schematics, then a lot of trainers and starbase components — and also was very credit-poor for several weeks. Again, that wasn't a necessity for me to do that, but I was getting antsy and impatient, so I decided to tap into those reserves.

As far as events, I suppose it also helped a lot that since late last year, at least, I have been choosy about what events I'll go all-out for... "threshold and out" was the standard mantra if I wasn't particularly excited about the new crew being offered.

In any case, I ended up beating my fleet-mate to this goal by several months. ;) And I'm pleased with my decision to not only be very selective about new crew, but to get rid of existing crew who I didn't like or wouldn't use at all. Frankly, I haven't shed many tears about airlocking the likes of Fesek, Commander Kelby, Kurros, Lily Sloane, Riley Frazier, Tash, and others. :p

Everyone fully equipped is the only way to be
  • Options
    Thanks for the inspiring post, Data1001. I have definitely taken on board a few of your thoughts. I have a long way to go but I would like to do the same thing.

Starting a couple of months prior to that point, I had begun collecting only the crew who I really wanted, not just anyone who I happened to get in Voyages (which I did earlier, because I had plenty of free space and figured "what the heck"). But I still had a lot of crew that I'd already collected, but who weren't characters or variants who I really cared about at all. When I decided to start working towards this goal, I decided to dump a bunch of those (even several who were FF at levels below 50).

So how do you decide on crew you really want. Is it just characters you really like or do you also consider high skilled crew?

I'm usually threshold and out too unless I love the crew, in which case I will try my best to place as high as I can.

I find it hard not to take on new crew when it is a galaxy event because it means a guaranteed 4/4* just for doing the threshold rewards. This isn't such a bad thing, I suppose, because at least I can immortalise these crew members.

The main thing that gets to me is the faction events where I get a 3/4* for completing thresholds. I'm a monthly card player so sometimes I will treat myself to an event pack if I really like a character. That sometimes allows me to get the threshold reward character to 4/4*. If not, I'm stuck with a 3/4* character who won't be added to the portal for ages. How do you cope with this issue? Maybe I just have to get way more ruthless and kick out the 3/4*s despite how much I hate that.
    And I'm pleased with my decision to not only be very selective about new crew, but to get rid of existing crew who I didn't like or wouldn't use at all. Frankly, I haven't shed many tears about airlocking the likes of Fesek, Commander Kelby, Kurros, Lily Sloane, Riley Frazier, Tash, and others. :p

That's true. I definitely have some crew who I'm not crazy about and could stand to lose. This has definitely inspired me to be a bit more selective and also ruthless about my crew. Would be nice not to feel like I'm drowning in new crew and feel more in control at least!
  • Options

I'm 7 months in to playing this game and starting to feel overwhelmed by the huge list of crew that I need to work on levelling.

Level up the 1/2/3s when you have an over abundance of trainers and lots of components. Eventually the number needed to finish will drop. As you go along, You will have to airlock some due to crew slots, but the number will drop and at the end there will be one card that shall elude you.

I only have 64 FF 4*s in my roster, and I could probably freeze ten of em as they aren't used much.

How about the 1/4s that you only get 3/4 of during faction events? Do you skip them too? I mean, I'm finding it frustrating to have a bunch of them sitting in my crew quarters that won't be FF any time soon because they presumably won't make it to the portal or to voyage loot for another year!

I can finish top 1001-3000 with ease in faction to get 4/4 or 1/4 as needed. As to the threshold 3/4. I got a pile sitting around, and sometimes you can get the missing one in a theme pack (I got mother horta this way).

Event 3/4s I have (not always faction event I suspect)
    Prospero Data (been like this forever), Cpt T'Pol, Combat Medic Paris, Ruk, Amanda Grayson, Tunguske 7, Mutated paris, Barak, Baku Worf

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So how do you decide on crew you really want. Is it just characters you really like or do you also consider high skilled crew?

The first thing I take into account is how much I like the character. Second, if I feel that the artwork is decent. Third, whether they are main cast crew (who will be more likely to show up as event bonus crew in the future). Fourth, their skills and stats. Traits aren't anything I look at (although I do have all the episodes/distress calls and all the cadet challenge missions cleared on all levels, so that's not a consideration for me). Some combination of these leads me to my choice of whether to add them or take a pass. But that decision is mainly driven by my personal affinity for the character plus the quality of their art.

I've got a decent roster at this point in the game, with fairly good coverage in all skills (though some could still use a bit of bolstering). Thus, high skill stats alone aren't enough for me. If I don't like the character at all, I don't care much if the stats are out of this world. If I'm sort of "meh" on the character, however, then I can be swayed to want to acquire them if they have amazing stats.

If I like the character but the artwork is terrible, I will take a hard pass. (See the abomination that calls himself Mirror Data.) If I love the character but I feel the artwork is uninspiring but not horrid, I will probably go for them. (See Mirror Jadzia.)
    I find it hard not to take on new crew when it is a galaxy event because it means a guaranteed 4/4* just for doing the threshold rewards. This isn't such a bad thing, I suppose, because at least I can immortalise these crew members.

On my main account, I've airlocked some of these 4/4's if I don't care for the character. On my alt accounts, however, which are far more in need of decent crew, I never turn down the opportunity for a free FF 4* crew. Thus, my alt accounts have some crew that my main account does not, because I needed them there more — an example is Bajoran Dukat, who has been employed quite often by my first alt account, but who I passed over on my main account. So until you're at a certain point with your overall roster, I think you'd do well to continue to keep those free fully-fused super-rares.
    The main thing that gets to me is the faction events where I get a 3/4* for completing thresholds. I'm a monthly card player so sometimes I will treat myself to an event pack if I really like a character. That sometimes allows me to get the threshold reward character to 4/4*. If not, I'm stuck with a 3/4* character who won't be added to the portal for ages. How do you cope with this issue? Maybe I just have to get way more ruthless and kick out the 3/4*s despite how much I hate that.

For me it once again comes down to who I like, and their potential usefulness in future events. But very frequently I will airlock a 3/4 from an event, if I'm not getting a 4th star from an event pack or straight-up crew purchase pack. If I like them enough, though, I'll usually try to get that 4th star right away. One of my 2 alt accounts is VIP 0, so I don't have Dilithium to spend on packs, and thus, I tend to toss a lot of those 3/4 crew out the airlock, because, as you say, they won't show up in regular packs or Voyage drops for quite some time (but there have been a few exceptions, with crew who I absolutely love, or with crew who are killer in proficiency or with great base stats even at only 3 stars).

• Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Data. This has definitely helped me with my crew management going forward. :)