Home The Bridge

Should we expect Galaxy shenanigans again?

Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
So the last time I tried this hard in a galaxy event, I stayed up all night to try and get Mirror Troi, fell asleep an hour and fifteen minutes or so before the event end, feeling somewhat confident that my low 700s (around 710) rank would be secure. Wake up after the event end to find I placed 1150 >.>

From that fiasco, we also got Mirror Picard. What I heard about that was that some players save up all their special build items during a galaxy event, then during the last stretch like the last few hours before the event ends, they cash in all their special bonus items. Apparent, as I hear, this overload is what caused the game to crash back in December. I don't know how true all that is.

So my question is, do people think such a strategy is something people do, such as do you even do it yourself, and if this is a thing people do, will you think people will engage in it again before this week's event is up?

Mainly, I am working hard, sitting at a nice 100-200 rank. I still have some chrons saved for keeping my place tomorrow I think. But I don't want to head to bed tomorrow thinking my 200 approx. rank is safe, only to find out I get bumped out of a Virtuoso Doctor by barely being outside of the 1000 rank by these annoying troll-like shenanigans.
Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's definitely something people do. I did it myself on a few occasions, but mostly only when I was going for very tippy-top of the ranks. In this event, I cashed mine in today, and that put me comfortably into the top 50 (where I know I won't stay).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do it for the fairness overall. I cash in the purrple specials (McGuffins) as soon as Phase 2 begins or even during Phase 1 if I only wanna do 100k or 130k for the trashold rewards. I don't take part in the manipulations at the very last hour.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • I often wait until second phase to cash the McGuffins simply so they don't reset in incremental value after phase one.

As for "Galaxy Shenanigans", there have been several Galaxy events since the Mirror event, all of which have passed successfully. What makes you think this one will be any different? Is it because you're in the top 200? That's quite an egocentric viewpoint. ☺
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wait until second phase to cash the McGuffins simply so they don't reset in incremental value after phase one.

As for "Galaxy Shenanigans", there have been several Galaxy events since the Mirror event, all of which have passed successfully. What makes you think this one will be any different? Is it because you're in the top 200? That's quite an egocentric viewpoint. ☺

We have had successful galaxies, but I just don't want to be blindsided is all.
    It's also not smart if it causes a crash, I feel that probably only happens in events which are heavily heavily played like the Mirror Mega and a TNG classic crew like Troi.
    And yes, I'm definitely in this for my own interests. As if any player isn't?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • Being in it for your own interests is fine. Thinking it will crash because you're doing well...
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being in it for your own interests is fine. Thinking it will crash because you're doing well...

More like just being cautious as my only other below 1000 spot in a galaxy didn't turn out well.
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    There is always a lot of movement on the Leaderboard during the last couple of hours of a Galaxy Event. This is however not just due to the cashing in of the 'McGuffins'. There are many players (I am one of them), who have pre-farmed plenty of Inventory, and will log in during the final hour or so, to quickly build however more additional recipes are required to achieve their target Ranking - that is, these players have the ability to climb up the Rankings without have saved up 'McGuffins' for the end, and also without needing any more Chronitons.
    Typically the competition is especially intense not just for a spot in the Top 1,000 (to get the 1/5*), but also for a spot in the Top 2,000 (to finish getting a FF'd copy of the Ranked 4*).
    Any player who has a Ranking between 500 and 2,000 with about 2 hours left in a Galaxy Event, if they do not add any more VP's to their total during the final 2 hours, will likely drop at least 500 spots in the Rankings during the final 2 hours. Of course each Event is somewhat different, and the amount of late drop in the Rankings for a player who has stopped contributing VP's could be a bit less, or substantially more, than 500 spots in the last 2 hours.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I've never had the end of galaxy problem. There is some movement but it's not a big problem.

What I do is grind it out to be in the 400's on the first day. This takes a while and is worst until the thresholds are cleared and the community awards awarded. Then it slows a lot and I only need click about 3 times a day for about 5-10 minutes.

Whenever I have fallen into the 600's I get myself back into the 400's - rinse and repeat - especially in the last hour for a desired top 650 finish.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't someone say always expect the unexpected??
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    There's always a ton of movement in the last few hours. I don't do the "late turn-in thing", but I'm always watching that last few hours, and keep building as-needed to hold rank.

Your best bet, rather than staying up all night and falling asleep just before the event end, like last time: go to bed early, then wake up early so you can play that last hour.
  • XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    Mainly, I am working hard, sitting at a nice 100-200 rank. I still have some chrons saved for keeping my place tomorrow I think. But I don't want to head to bed tomorrow thinking my 200 approx. rank is safe, only to find out I get bumped out of a Virtuoso Doctor by barely being outside of the 1000 rank by these annoying troll-like shenanigans.

Mayhaps, this could be mitigated by putting the first 5* in the thresholds rewards?
    Given how competitive this event is turning out to be, I think there are going to be a lot of people disappointed by missing out on the Virtuoso Doctor, given how many resources they will have dumped into trying to stay in the top 1000.

dpjxfc5bwdlj.jpg
    We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
    Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.
  • The performance issue during that Galaxy event was unrelated to last minute turn-ins. I believe we've clarified that before.

They’re called McGuffins 😉
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • [STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yeah there are lots of people that do this everytime myself included. Think of it as insurance. If you’re ranked 500 and you haven’t turned in any McGuffins then you know you’re safe. If you turned them in already you can expect to watch your rank drop like a stone. The only time I turn mine in early is when I go thresholds and done. The other benefits of this is people you are technically competing with for rank can’t actually tell. So like others said maybe they would try harder/buy chrons/spend sorrytons if they knew a bunch of sleeping Mcguffin holders would shortly be ranking higher than them.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    Putting the 5* in the threshold would only lead to a higher competition. I am glad DB did not continue to add thresholds as they did with your dreaded mirror troi event... this event had a 600k max threshold leading to the ridiculous high VP and unspent rares.

A 5* at 400k threshold would lead top 1k in galaxies to start somewhere at around 450 - 500k, thus increasing the needed VP for the 5* by 100 - 150k for most galaxies. Thus not only would it increase the cost of scoring high in a galaxy, it would also make it much more tedious.

With your amount of VP you should be fine btw. Apart from the Mirror Events with additional thresholds I can not recall even a competitive galaxy where I needed above ~400-450k for top 1k.
  • The event I finished 13th in, I was the first to trade in the McGuffins with a hour to go. I wasn't going to play chicken with the rest of the board. This did prompt trade ins (in the next 10 mins or so) from most of the folks in the top25. I know this, as I was able to watch the leaderboard and other players would suddenly jump in points.

Unfortunately, further down the ranks, I would want to be able to see the 100 players in front and the 100 players behind me, but no such tool exists for sizing up your end of galaxy event situation.

Of course, each event is different, I only want one copy of Vic (top3000), but so do others and even at 100k over the threshold, I don't feel safe, so tomorrow morning should be interesting.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't someone say always expect the unexpected??

Inspector Clouseau
    “A Shot in the Dark”

But I think it was also said in a Voyager episode
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I handed everything in during the first stage. Once Id all the thresholds I stopped playing as I have Vic immortal and don't have space for another useless 1/5*.

I figured with all the free chronotrons I didn't have the patience/finger strength for all the repeated button tapping.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I initially only wanted to rank high enough for the last copy of Vic, but it's been ages since I've played a galaxy for rank and I had no idea how many chronitons I needed. After I turned in the rare rewards at the start of phase two, I was surprised to find that I was ranked much much higher than I anticipated, within the top 250, so I changed plans and decided to go for a Doctor. I've been able to keep my rank afloat in that area and still have chronitons to spare. I'll be working and not able to check in much during the last three hours of the event, so I hope I have enough of a buffer. Good luck!
  • The performance issue during that Galaxy event was unrelated to last minute turn-ins. I believe we've clarified that before.

They’re called McGuffins 😉

Actually, the proprietary technical term we use is "Golden Octopus."[1]

[1] For real.

Actually, the proprietary "technical" term we use is "Golden Octopus."[1]

[1] For 4 realz.

Fixed that for you.
  • Should we expect Galaxy shenanigans again? <snip/>

Yes.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wait until second phase to cash the McGuffins simply so they don't reset in incremental value after phase one.

We have had successful galaxies, but I just don't want to be blindsided is all.
    It's also not smart if it causes a crash, I feel that probably only happens in events which are heavily heavily played like the Mirror Mega and a TNG classic crew like Troi.
    And yes, I'm definitely in this for my own interests. As if any player isn't?

Black Pebble stated several times that the crash was not related to SR item turn in.
  • SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    I'm only at 465,515 reward points. It has taken me 4 days to reach this mark, so it has been no easy or effortless feat.

Well so you stayed in top 1k. As I said 400-450k should be enough even for a competitive one.
    I would really advise you not to commit to a galaxy, unless you are willing to go for at least 330 - 360k VP to get a shot at the 5*.

Apart from that, just never look at your rank, but only at your absolute VP.
  • Galaxies are a mess now. Get the thresholds and get out. The 7,000 chrons needed to finish in top 1k to get the 1/5 could be spent elsewhere. Like crew management....