Home Strange New Worlds
Options

'McCoyisms' - "I'm a doctor, not a(n) ...!"

Our beloved Dr. McCoy felt on many occasions it was necessary for him to remind others that he was a doctor, and not something else. I thought it might be interesting to ask, do you have a favorite 'McCoyism'? - that is, one of his lines where he says, "I'm a doctor, not a(n) ...!"

I was inspired to start this thread yesterday when I heard McCoy say, "I'm a doctor, not an escalator!". This gave me a good laugh, as you would imagine his peers were probably unlikely to think of him being an escalator (if those will even exist in the 22nd century?!). I was going to mention the TOS episode in which I heard this, but figured I will instead allow someone in the knowledgeable player community to figure it out, and inform everyone ;)

Please share with us which 'McCoyism' you especially enjoy :)

Comments

• Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    "Not a bricklayer" is always memorable, from the Horta episode.

Though personally, I've always been partial to "Dialysis, what is this, the Dark Ages?"
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always loved that DeForrest Kelly deliberately chose to have McCoy mispronounce alien names and words all the time.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one they should have added for the best loved episode (Spock's Brain)

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Brain Surgeon"
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    McCoy: "I'm a doctor, not an engineer!"
    Scott: "Now you're an engineer"
    (TOS: "Mirror, Mirror") Kind of appropriate right now :smile:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of them are here .. from various Drs throughout the various series .. :)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/I'm_a_doctor,_not_a...

My personal favourite (after McCoy's classic: "I'm a doctor, not an escalator" .. of course) :)

Has to be the Voyager, EMH: "I'm a doctor, not a voyeur!" O.o
  • Options
    Doctor! ( This is from the Director’s cut of Final Frontier, just after McCoy had too many marshmelons and beans.)
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturday Night Live, Shatner Guest hosting, Star Trek IV the Restaurant Enterprise.

Guest in the restaurant is choking, Shatner/Kirk says "Bones" and points to the customer.
    Phil Hartman as Bones, "Damn it Jim I'm a Doctor not a.... Oh.." and helps the choking diner.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto wrote: »
    I think a lot of them are here .. from various Drs throughout the various series .. :)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/I'm_a_doctor,_not_a...

My personal favourite (after McCoy's classic: "I'm a doctor, not an escalator" .. of course) :)

Has to be the Voyager, EMH: "I'm a doctor, not a voyeur!" O.o

I liked that one too. It was like WTF?

• Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the DS9 Episode 'Trials and Tribble-ations' this past weekend, and I am going to assume as a respectful imitation of McCoy, heard '1701 Bashir' say the line, "I'm a doctor, not a historian!"
    By the way, very neat how they incorporated, and added into, the footage from the original TOS episode 'The Trouble with Tribbles' in making this episode!
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Irial wrote: »
    I watched the DS9 Episode 'Trials and Tribble-ations' this past weekend, and I am going to assume as a respectful imitation of McCoy, heard '1701 Bashir' say the line, "I'm a doctor, not a historian!"
    By the way, very neat how they incorporated, and added into, the footage from the original TOS episode 'The Trouble with Tribbles' in making this episode!

I was skeptical whether they could pull that off before I saw it, but they did a really nice job. And who doesn't appreciate Jadzia in that Red uni with the black boots? 😍

My fav McCoyism:

“Pointy-eared green-blooded hobgoblin!"
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    “Well, then, thank pitchforks and pointed ears!” - TOS, ‘Obsession’