Home Strange New Worlds

First F-Bomb in Star Trek History

Discovery episode 5 dropped the first f-bomb in Star Trek history. What's next Burnham shower scene?

Comments

• KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only a veruul would use such language.

But if we're doing shower scenes anyway, can I put in a vote for Stamets? He reminds me of Wash <3
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stammy and Burney would look cool in a shower scene. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    What's next Burnham shower scene?

Well, we had a Torres shower scene already.

• Imagine someone used slang/cuss from 150yrs ago today?! As if we'd even understand it...
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne Cobb wrote: »
    Imagine someone used slang/cuss from 150yrs ago today?! As if we'd even understand it...

Shazbot! Well Frak me for an Arn. That's so frelled. It's absofraggingly a pile of dren to think of such things.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Imagine someone used slang/cuss from 150yrs ago today?! As if we'd even understand it...

Shazbot! Well Frak me for an Arn. That's so frelled. It's absofraggingly a pile of dren to think of such things.
    It's a good point though, and something I liked about the Galactica reboot. They threw around "frak" like the sewer-mouthed toughs you knew they were, and we all knew just what it meant, but no problems with morality using a non-word. Clever, really.
    Magisse wrote: »

It's a good point though, and something I liked about the Galactica reboot. They threw around "frak" like the sewer-mouthed toughs you knew they were, and we all knew just what it meant, but no problems with morality using a non-word. Clever, really.

You do know that they used it in the original too right? Dirk Benedict can still lay one down at cons...It was one of the very few things they kept in the 'reboot'.

And can you pick out the other references? :)

• Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it put me off a bit. I felt it was the show writers trying to be way too edgy. And worse part, the thing they were talking about seriously wasn't as "so f-ing cool" as they thought. I felt like it is that one moment where writers can use a n f bomb and they used it in the wrong spot.

You use that stuff for an epic scene if you're going to use it, not boring shop talk.

Ultimately, I would have preferred them not to use it at all. It felt too unTrek.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    And can you pick out the other references? :)

Well, Shazbot is obviously Mork and Mindy.
  • I barely even noticed. I keep hoping that someday people will move past this and forget about this nonsense of having curse words in the first place. There is more important things going on in the world.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
    I barely even noticed. I keep hoping that someday people will move past this and forget about this nonsense of having curse words in the first place. There is more important things going on in the world.

Well Kiss My Grits, you might be right! But it distracts folks from the other obvious flaws in this show and in society at large.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Well double dumbass on you!" -JTK
  • I'm glad I missed that. STD needs to be quietly buried and forgotten, it is the equivalent of Phantom Menace.
    Scientist wrote: »
    I'm glad I missed that. STD needs to be quietly buried and forgotten, it is the equivalent of Phantom Menace.

This is an accurate assessment. Even if the show is faring a bit better in my book, it is only faring better on entertainment value, not actual depth.

The tardigrade and space fungi are the midichlorians of the Star Trek universe.
    Still makes me cringe to remember people on these forums want the Tardigrade as a character.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
  • KantKant ✭✭✭
    T'Pol Has Star Trek's First Nude Scene4to4utkqwfdh.jpg
  • KantKant ✭✭✭
    Hoshi Sato3bczlgn4hr6z.jpg
    These aren't full-on explicit though. They are plenty cheesecake, but not explicit. TOS kinda opened the doors with all that damn cheesecake. So many Barbarella type skimpy outfits in that series. So Star Trek has never honestly been beyond showing some flesh.
  • The whole space fungi connecting everything in the universe thing was a bit half and half for me. I kinda hate it because overall it’s a bit stupid but they do make it look cool and it gives them an excuse to be able to jump the Discovery instead of sticking to warp, though you have to wonder, if this kind of drive had become viable back then, how come they don’t use it during later periods? Obviously that’s because this idea literally came after TNG and such, but still, it’s a semi-valid point. As for the Tardigrade itself, I kind of like it. To me, the Tardigrade stuff was some of the most Star Trek scenes in Discovery. The questions of its sentience and the morality surrounding that were very reminiscent of the TOS Horta episode where we learn that not all sentient life is humanoid and the morality of not assuming something is a monster just because it looks like one. The fungus is still a bit stupid though.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Kant wrote: »
    T'Pol Has Star Trek's First Nude Scene4to4utkqwfdh.jpg

Janeway had one in Voyager as she was preparing to undergo some alien spiritual ritual to save Kes. Fortunately it was mostly a back shot and her hands were covering her mammalian protuberances.
  • The whole space fungi connecting everything in the universe thing was a bit half and half for me. I kinda hate it because overall it’s a bit stupid but they do make it look cool and it gives them an excuse to be able to jump the Discovery instead of sticking to warp, though you have to wonder, if this kind of drive had become viable back then, how come they don’t use it during later periods? Obviously that’s because this idea literally came after TNG and such, but still, it’s a semi-valid point. As for the Tardigrade itself, I kind of like it. To me, the Tardigrade stuff was some of the most Star Trek scenes in Discovery. The questions of its sentience and the morality surrounding that were very reminiscent of the TOS Horta episode where we learn that not all sentient life is humanoid and the morality of not assuming something is a monster just because it looks like one. The fungus is still a bit stupid though.

I assumed from the start that the drive Will fail horribly and therefore is not used later :)
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Tarantino at the helm of the latest installation of Star Trek we may go further than Tilly's F bomb with an R rated Star Trek movie.

https://nerdist.com/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rated-j-j-abrams/
  • XanatharXanathar ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    T'Pol Has Star Trek's First Nude

There's been a lot of nudity in Trek before, for example:
    tattoo_267.jpg
    chainofcommandparttwo135.jpg
    dejaq016.jpg
  • Just for completions sakes and I'm sure there's further back examples but in the Voyager episode Q2 about Q's son Janeway flat out f-bombs when she discovers Q's son has turned the cargo hold into a rave "Get these people off my f-ing ship." It's audio is out but the first and last phenom retained and remainder lipped. Same episode Seven is bare **tsk tsk** and Q's son checks it out and brings it up later as well. Seven blows him off and states this does embarrass her.