Home The Bridge

Fleet strategy

2»

Comments

• My fleets have been fun because I have made so many friends.So the best advice I can give you is keep the game for what it is, and that is a game <3 this way you or your officers won't get burnout

Ah Tris, if I wasn't already in such an Awesome Fleet as ours you would have had me at fun.😎🤩🤗
  • Hungry Dog wrote: »
    Good Luck to you, I found that just simply sending an in game message once to the admiral isn't enough. You'll have to catch them online as the messages in game chat seem to disappear. It took my fleet and I a couple weeks to actually get a reply.

The one to the admiral did disappear. I'll keep that in mind.

STT should come with a disclaimer for having a half-functioning in-game chat, save everyone of finding out the hard way. For taking care of a fleet without the obstacles that arise from half the fleet not being able to make contact with one another, members feeling ignored for weeks/months/years, avoid all that with an external client like Discord. It's free easy and reliable.

Making it a requirement has been vital for the health and progress of our fleet. Not required to be chatty, just for being able to contact one another. And for those who do like to use it for chat or infos it's been a great resource, a hub.

Some feel it's not very chill to be required to join an external client, but there are others who know how un-chill it is to not be able to have basic communication - for things like crew sharing, other squadron logistics, notifying of going on vacation, asking questions and sharing advice and things.
    The most common thing fleet applicants tell me is that in their old fleet, nobody was responding to them and crew was shared halfway through events if they were lucky.

And maybe some players are alright with that, and with it probably becoming less active. There are different ways to play the game and to set up fleets, all of them valid as long as the members are aware of what they're getting into (and don't spend time feeling ignored before moving on).

Not sure where fleet advice would go, here or the Ready Room or Fleet Central. But anywhere don't hesitate to ask, I like to think we're all in this together! :)
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I pretty much joined the fleet that was in it's development phase 20-30 core people, steadily we campaigned on the recruitment, every source available to us STT WIki, UC, Forums, Starbase Invite Page (I saved that one till last because I think it has been the least productive) - I think a combination of invites not getting through/staying and the fact that nearly every single 1 had last event rank 0 has something to do with it.

Anyhow our approach is laid back (squadron rewards aren't exactly going to break the bank) Dailies is the main thing so everyone reaps the rewards - but as long as we are made aware of situation or periods of being to busy, we usually give a weeks allowance as unexpected things can and do happen. THIS IS JUST A GAME

Regular weeding is often required especially for the lower levels because the retention / general commitment to the gameplay generally tends to have a higher attrition rate there.

Any how we are now in the high 40's with a very social and active crew base.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    I putting this on The Bridge and maybe it belongs in Fleet Central (although that really just looks more like a recruitment center for fleets). Feel free to move it if so inclined, admins.

When I first started I joined any old fleet because they didn't seem to have much impact on the game. Then along came starbases. It was obvious that an active fleet was important. So I ditched the squad I had started, ditched the fleet I was in. I joined a slightly more active fleet and started a new squad there. Fast foward a few months. The fleet is now less active. Over half the people haven't played in over a month and even my squad is not playing as much.

It's clear that it's time for me to move on.

However, I have two choices. I can join a very active fleet, there are plenty recruiting.
    Or I can start my own, on the premise that members must be active (whatever that means).

What has been your experience starting a fleet and recruiting active members? Have you tossed members for not being active? How much work is it to manage a fleet? Would I be better off joining an active one already in place? Thoughts are appreciated.

My experience starting a new one was not good, because it is hard to start over a new Fleet from scratch, you start with a 0 level Starbase, and just one captain, yourself, I would advice you to join an already active fleet, Argentina Unida, the fleet I am in, it's a very active fleet willing for active member, we can open a place for you if you want. We are mostly native spanish speaking guys and girls but as you may realize, the language is not a problem at all!
    Good Luck to you, I found that just simply sending an in game message once to the admiral isn't enough. You'll have to catch them online as the messages in game chat seem to disappear. It took my fleet and I a couple weeks to actually get a reply.

That's why we use more Whatsapp than the In-Game Chat
  • One thing I'm finding challenging as admiral is Recruiting new members, my fleet and I use BBM but majority of the fleet aren't on there. What's the best way to recruit?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hungry Dog wrote: »

STT should come with a disclaimer for having a half-functioning in-game chat, save everyone of finding out the hard way. For taking care of a fleet without the obstacles that arise from half the fleet not being able to make contact with one another, members feeling ignored for weeks/months/years, avoid all that with an external client like Discord. It's free easy and reliable.

Making it a requirement has been vital for the health and progress of our fleet. Not required to be chatty, just for being able to contact one another. And for those who do like to use it for chat or infos it's been a great resource, a hub.

Some feel it's not very chill to be required to join an external client, but there are others who know how un-chill it is to not be able to have basic communication - for things like crew sharing, other squadron logistics, notifying of going on vacation, asking questions and sharing advice and things.
    The most common thing fleet applicants tell me is that in their old fleet, nobody was responding to them and crew was shared halfway through events if they were lucky.

And maybe some players are alright with that, and with it probably becoming less active. There are different ways to play the game and to set up fleets, all of them valid as long as the members are aware of what they're getting into (and don't spend time feeling ignored before moving on).

Not sure where fleet advice would go, here or the Ready Room or Fleet Central. But anywhere don't hesitate to ask, I like to think we're all in this together! :)

This x1000. When I get someone new in my squad and send a private message saying “welcome, please change your name from Captain to whatever you please and let me know if you have any questions” I have never yet once gotten a response. I also don’t get much response in squad chat, which usually isn’t terribly broken other than sometimes not showing notifications if the app has been open for a while, so it may really just be apathy on their end after all.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm worried about how terribly broken the chat function may be. That should be the simplest thing for DB to maintain. Sigh.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • My suggestion would be to keep messaging the admiral when they are online. Then hopefully they should get the message.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Drunken Dahar Masters is live. Off to the recruitment forums with me. Thank you all again for your advice.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.