Home Make It So!

Sylvia Tilly crew adjustment

With the new event "The Butchers of Beta Penthe" coming up, I see that there will soon be 3 different versions of Sylvia Tilly. I am proposing a realignment of values for her.

The existing 5* Cadet Sylvia Tilly was completely over rated, in my opinion. The event adds new versions - 5* Captain Killy, and 2* Off-Duty Tilly. I think that the Cadet Tilly should be reduced to 3*, and then anyone that has an existing 5* Cadet Tilly be compensated (or have it exchanged) with a 5* Captain Killy. This will provide better variety for the character, without causing too many problems.

Comments

• <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't, DB.

Cadet Sylvia Tilly is an eng/sci with one of the highest ENG bases in the game. Captain Killy is cmd/sec/eng, which is not at all the same thing.

That would really mess things up for a lot of people.

Cadet Tilly as a 3* would have no use except for the rare collection (which is easy enough) or another tick on the achievement for immortalizing crew. She would go directly into the freezers of most veteran players.

If you think her stats are OP because of her character, then, uh, I don't know what to tell you.

But she's not even the most OP eng base in the game. Especially when you consider that Lorian (:cry:) not only has better eng base, but has three skills.

So uh. That would create a lot of problems. Like, players doing no-spending strikes kind of problems, even.
  • MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    You may have a point, but Stats aside for a moment, I don't believe that ANY crew with the title of CADET should have been a 5* character in the first place.

You have to admit, that CAPTAIN Killy should be of a higher level than CADET Tilly at least, but when both are at 5* that's not possible. At the very most, Cadet Tilly shouldn't have been more than 4*. Her stats can stay the same as long as they are in line with other 4* crew.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people are too hung up on the rank of cadet being part of her name.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that an existing card has ever changed in rarity, so I don't see any chance this is gunna happen. However, since Tillie is quite popular, I can imagine that there will be 3* and 4* variants of Tillie in the near future.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Should she have been a 5*, probably not. Should they change it, not a chance.

The primary reason why is can you imagine the backlash of everyone who already has her, especially those who paid money for her. It was be Mirror Picard all over again (probably worse).

Imagine you paid money or honor to get her or add stars. If they were to change her, they basically would have devalued what she was. Even more so, since you are basically suggesting removing the maximum number of stars, what can you realistically give to people that would be fair?

I bought at least one pack and got her. Plus got a second star from rank reward. So your saying she's a 3* now? So what is DB going to give me that could possibly compensate for that massive change? She was devalued from a 1/5 to 1/3 (massive change, would be even from a 1/5 to 1/4). So should I have gotten someone different in that pack I spent dil on? What about the second star I got from the ranked reward. I want compensation for that too. She's one of my higher engineers, so you just stripped me of that. I want a replacement for that.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    gssd4pvuezvn.png
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • The game is rife with that kind of mismatch. Commander Spock is a 1*, Talos IV Spock is a 3*, one-off characters are more powerful and see much more use than iconic series regulars, and so on. It's just part of the game. Revisionism will do nothing but cause uproar and backlash. When it comes down to it, they're just names and stats.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t disagree with your assessment of the characters but this is never going to happen. Certainly not before Captain Scott gets his ENG base skill doubled along with a powerful COM secondary and SCI tertiary skill added.
  • RaijinmeisterRaijinmeister ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    That 5* Tilly should never exist if the design of this game had some concern about consistency and not "zomg that cutie gurl from STD".

Most of the 5* crew from STD are completely unjustifiable anyway.
    Please don't, DB.

Cadet Sylvia Tilly is an eng/sci with one of the highest ENG bases in the game.

This problem is thanks to the poor approach of DB to ENG crew in general. I can't believe how easily this could be solved simply buffing the existing underperforming ENG crew available.

About the proposed change make the 3* useless and only good for collections purposes, well, you can say the same about 75-80% of the characters in this game so it will not be anything new or special.
  • RaijinmeisterRaijinmeister ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Is not about the rank is about what she did so far. If you are a cadet that in doing something particularly remarkable changed the tide of a massive battle, saved thousands or millions of lives, did a very complex task that would only be done by some senior ranked personal then you would be called 'legendary'. Being cute, awkward while interacting with other people and inexplicably overweighted while being part of an active crew of a top-secret military operation that is supposed to be battle ready 24/7 and strike surgically precise assaults behind enemy lines is not enough to be called 'legendary'.
    But then this is a mobile game, run by a not so great company and easy marketing on popular characters matters more to them than any logic on internal consistency.
  • I don't think that an existing card has ever changed in rarity, so I don't see any chance this is gunna happen. However, since Tillie is quite popular, I can imagine that there will be 3* and 4* variants of Tillie in the near future.

"1701 Sisko was a prize for the "The Trouble with Klingons" event, and at this time his star power was increased from 3 stars to 5.[1]"
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/1701_Sisko
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upping a card causes much less issues than downing one. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very, very, very bad, bad idea.

While I agree that making Cadet Tilly a legendary character was a mistake, it was done. Some of us worked like crazy during that event to win her, too, because we needed the engineering crew. If you were to give me an immortalized Captain Killy in exchange for my 1/5* FE Cadet Tilly, I would be very, very unhappy. I still have more need for engineers. Captain Killy is Mirror Picard with fewer traits and weak engineering instead of weak science, and we all already have Mirror Picard.

The only way you'd talk me out of my 1x Cadet Tilly would be to give me 1x Captain Killy AND four legendary citations that I could use as I see fit. At least then I could plus up another legendary engineer (like Romulan Data!). That might help make up for the hole left by removing Cadet Tilly.

Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    MRNelson wrote: »
    I think that the Cadet Tilly should be reduced to 3*, and then anyone that has an existing 5* Cadet Tilly be compensated (or have it exchanged) with a 5* Captain Killy. This will provide better variety for the character, without causing too many problems.

Uh, no. Definitely not. I have a 4/5 Captain Killy and a 5/5 Cadet Tilly and I would absolutely hate that. There is no reason they couldn't just add a 3* (or 4* or 1*) Tilly to the game without it being at the expense of an existing crew. If a "Cadet" being a 5* is a problem for you then, at most, they could rename her and remove the word cadet, leaving everything else the same.

I'm guessing you have Cadet Tilly and want a Captain Killy but don't have the funds to buy one and won't be in the top 1,000 and that's why you are suggesting it?

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I don't think that an existing card has ever changed in rarity, so I don't see any chance this is gunna happen. However, since Tillie is quite popular, I can imagine that there will be 3* and 4* variants of Tillie in the near future.

Bashir, Julian Bashir existed in both 4* and 5* versions for a time. Originally 4* before release and some people got a copy (I'm guessing via CS for a problem) and he became 5* by the time he was fully released
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. Her skills on the show are engineering and science. From what we are told she is like a genius in those fields. That is why she is a 5 Star. Now if she were a cadet and had a huge command score as her main skill, I get it, but what is being measured is her skills regarding science and engineering which are portrayed as top notch in the show

NivenFres wrote: »
    Should she have been a 5*, probably not. Should they change it, not a chance.

The primary reason why is can you imagine the backlash of everyone who already has her, especially those who paid money for her. It was be Mirror Picard all over again (probably worse).

Imagine you paid money or honor to get her or add stars. If they were to change her, they basically would have devalued what she was. Even more so, since you are basically suggesting removing the maximum number of stars, what can you realistically give to people that would be fair?

I bought at least one pack and got her. Plus got a second star from rank reward. So your saying she's a 3* now? So what is DB going to give me that could possibly compensate for that massive change? She was devalued from a 1/5 to 1/3 (massive change, would be even from a 1/5 to 1/4). So should I have gotten someone different in that pack I spent dil on? What about the second star I got from the ranked reward. I want compensation for that too. She's one of my higher engineers, so you just stripped me of that. I want a replacement for that.

I did this. Paid 200,000 honor to get her to 5 Star
  • SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    They could always replace the name and picture of the existing 5* cadet tilly. Everybody would keep their cards, but they could find something more fitting to appease players offended by this random crew.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »

Exactly. Her skills on the show are engineering and science. From what we are told she is like a genius in those fields. That is why she is a 5 Star. Now if she were a cadet and had a huge command score as her main skill, I get it, but what is being measured is her skills regarding science and engineering which are portrayed as top notch in the show

Being a genius and doing something remarkable to the point you can be called legendary are two completely different things. If being genius would be enough ever Wesley should be 5*. He even has more reasons for that than she.
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Being a genius and doing something remarkable to the point you can be called legendary are two completely different things. If being genius would be enough ever Wesley should be 5*. He even has more reasons for that than she.

He just wasn’t old enough to sit at the big boy table. That’s why

• Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭

Bashir, Julian Bashir existed in both 4* and 5* versions for a time. Originally 4* before release and some people got a copy (I'm guessing via CS for a problem) and he became 5* by the time he was fully released

OMG!!!!
    I knew I wasn't crazy!!!

For the longest time I could have sworn he was a 4* character, then one day I got him in a behold and I saw 5* and I went "WTF!? Isn't he a 4*?". All that time, I had thought he was just a very very rare drop 4*. I'm glad he was made a 5* though, I have him immortal now and I do love my suited Bashir.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    MRNelson wrote: »
    I think that the Cadet Tilly should be reduced to 3*, and then anyone that has an existing 5* Cadet Tilly be compensated (or have it exchanged) with a 5* Captain Killy. This will provide better variety for the character, without causing too many problems.

I'm guessing you have Cadet Tilly and want a Captain Killy but don't have the funds to buy one and won't be in the top 1,000 and that's why you are suggesting it?

At the moment, I don't have 5* Killy -or- 5* Tilly, but I will get a 2* Tilly from the current event, and probably keep her if I have room, in spite of her 2* stats, which should be good enough for cadet missions. It's true to a degree, that I am a bit hung up on her cadet title, and if I was making the decisions at DB, she would have been 3* Cadet Sylvia Tilly.

My overall opinion is that new crew are given too high of a Star ranking, which is probably due to pressure to release new high level crew for events. My current situation demands that for the time being, I remain a F2P player, so I do not NEED or WANT any more 5* crew, since they will just sit on my roster taking up valuable slots. Some players complain about only having 150 slots makes it hard - F2P players only have 75 slots. I do try my best to NOT airlock any 5* crew, but it gets harder every time.

If the community's opinion is that 5* Tilly remain as is, I will not further argue the point, even though I still don't agree with it. I think that DB made a bad choice there.