Home The Bridge

Special Offer feedback - for Erin/Shan

Thank you for the special offer. Please take this feedback honestly.

When you go to the supermarket, you can buy 1 of something for $3, or 2/$5. It's a very simple concept of volume discounts.

Why does DB charge more per item when buying more?

Case in point:
10 premium packs for $10
15 premium packs for $25
30 premium packs for $50

Special offers should be just that - special. If you spend more, you should get more. Honestly, it's like the numbers were flipped. It would make a lot more sense if it was 25 packs for $15 and 50 packs for $30 (maybe too much of a discount, but you get the point).

It's simple marketing - with a premium price point, you have to provide value and substance. You have to entice your prospective customer to bite. The first reaction should be, "oh wow, I really shouldn't, but this is amazing."

Instead, the first reaction is, "Huh? Why am I getting jipped?"

Honestly, it's insulting to your customers. And it's hurting your bottom line. Instead of me spending $50, I'm now going to postpone spending money until a real special offer appears (and not ship schematics!)

Full disclosure: I'm VIP 13, so clearly I've spent some money on this game.

Comments

• I got a 30 for $50 "special " offer. Why would I do that knowing there's a better offer out there? One idea is to qualitatively increase the value. Maybe $50 for any 30 premium or event packs? But as it is, pricing doesn't work for me. I've spent money before, and I'd like to do it again. Just don't want to feel "dirty" about it.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    If I am not mistaken, you get other stuff with the higher offers, such as chronitons and extra dilithium. I don't know how much that is worth (well, the dilithium is quantifiable), but it isn't just 30 packs for $50.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ikrit wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken, you get other stuff with the higher offers, such as chronitons and extra dilithium. I don't know how much that is worth (well, the dilithium is quantifiable), but it isn't just 30 packs for $50.

Actually the 30 for 50 offer I got last week was just that, no chrons, no dil, just packs.
    The 15 for 50 had 3k chrons and 3k dil.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    God, Sail the Stary Skies twice in a row.

Really I think the damn things only rotate every month.
  • The $99.99 package is where you get additional items offered. The $99.99 package offers 25 10x Premium Packs, 5,000 Chronitons, and 4,000 Dilithium, and of course +5,000 VIP Points. It is amazing how DB and us basic consumers are so far apart on value in these offers. I just watch those $99.99 offers sail right past me into oblivion where I would actually purchase the $9.99 offer or even the 1,250 Chronitons for $9.99 offer that they run every now and then.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought the thirty 10-pulls for $50 pack, and it indeed did come with more than just the pulls -- 1500 Dilithium (plus VIP pts & your bonus Dil).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

When you go to the supermarket, you can buy 1 of something for $3, or 2/$5. It's a very simple concept of volume discounts.

Case in point:
    10 premium packs for $10
    15 premium packs for $25
    30 premium packs for $50

Special offers should be just that - special. If you spend more, you should get more. Honestly, it's like the numbers were flipped. It would make a lot more sense if it was 25 packs for $15 and 50 packs for $30 (maybe too much of a discount, but you get the point).

It's simple marketing - with a premium price point, you have to provide value and substance. You have to entice your prospective customer to bite. The first reaction should be, "oh wow, I really shouldn't, but this is amazing."

Honestly, it's insulting to your customers. And it's hurting your bottom line. Instead of me spending $50, I'm now going to postpone spending money until a real special offer appears (and not ship schematics!)

Well as everyone insisted on telling me in my thread last week on the offers, there is value in getting everything at once. 30 packs for $50 lets you get 30 packs at once. You'd have to wait to get the 10 for $10 3 times to get 30 packs. So you're paying for the privilege of getting all your packs up front.
  • Like what other has said: The 30x come with 1500 dilith plus VIP. I have never seen the $25 pack

So, it's really

10 premium packs for $10

30 premium packs + 1500 dilithium crystals for $50.

The 1500 is $20 by itself. So it's 30 packs for $30 + the $20 dil pack
  • Like what other has said: The 30x come with 1500 dilith plus VIP. I have never seen the $25 pack

So, it's really

10 premium packs for $10

Should i have just bought thirty 10x packs it's unlikely i would need 1000s of dilithium so soon that i couldn't save the 1500 @$4 from a monthly. So imo, this is $18 overpriced.
    ~ seeking out new life

So, it's really

10 premium packs for $10

OK, so back to my supermarket analogy, that's like a supermarket putting up a sign saying regular price, 1/$3, super sale price 2/$6! Buy now!

AviTrek wrote: »

Case in point:
    10 premium packs for $10
    15 premium packs for $25
    30 premium packs for $50

Well as everyone insisted on telling me in my thread last week on the offers, there is value in getting everything at once. 30 packs for $50 lets you get 30 packs at once. You'd have to wait to get the 10 for $10 3 times to get 30 packs. So you're paying for the privilege of getting all your packs up front.

With the self-inflicted crew slot requirement, getting 30 crew is not necessarily a positive thing, unless you're a new player starting from scratch.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen the $25 pack

24il4x43g8jk.png
  • UnkieB wrote: »

24il4x43g8jk.png

I want that deal! That's the best deal I've seen. $20 dollars worth of diliths plus 15 packs? 15 packs for $5.

I don't remember the offer as containing dil, but I might have missed it. Would rephrase conclusion as, "... it's 30 packs for $30, if you also buy the $20 dil pack."

The rest has already been said.
  • 400% offer... no I get 40%.... I really love the uneven offers in a game that has competitive rewards (sarcasm).21aqru7cc5qy.png
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    UnkieB wrote: »

24il4x43g8jk.png

Meh basically 2 additional packs so cost seems high. Yes Dilithium can be used for a lot of other things but once you get a decent amount of crew slots and the 4th shuttle its value drops.
  • I'd bet part of it is marketing tailored to people who are willing to make these impulse purchases by creating a feeling of scarcity. If you could buy 10-packs for $10 any day, there would be no scarcity. So now, by selling you 30 packs for $50, prospective buyers might feel this is their only chance to get 30 packs, even if it costs more per pack than the 10-for-10 offer. It's the opposite of the value purchaser who expects a discount for buying more because there is abundance of product.
  • cannabinationcannabination ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'd be stoked just to get a crew offer. I haven't had anything but the schematic pack I've never purchased for the last 6 months. I guess DB wants me to spend my monies elsewhere.
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    I dont want the same offer every time, but something with crew would be great.

The schems get me nowhere, and I dont buy them. Thats reality.

• My feedback for erin/shan is this. Send me the 10 for 10 offer or the 25$ offer and I will buy them. Keep sending me the 30 pack deal or the HUUUUGE value 50/100$ deals and I will not.

You as a company have made it this way. I can handle getting force feeds. That's part of a gacha style lottery portal. I have only gotten 1 legend force feed out the time portal in 100's of draws. This abnormally low but the sample size is so low I can't really complain about that.

I can and will continue to complain about the fact in any large portal bundle purchase i make there are always ff duplicate beholds. This immensely devalues your time portal bundle packs to me. If this were removed I would consider the 50$ packs again. Until then I will only consider gambling in situations that offer me value, and there are not many.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I couple weeks ago, I got the 10 for 10 deal and considered buying it, but I was at work and was just rotating my shuttles during my coffee break and decided to wait untill I got home...it was well withen the countdown. When I got home, it was replaced by the 15 for $25, thats out of my microtransaction budget. A couple hours later, it was replaced by the useless Stary Skies. I never bought a special offer and the one time I wanted to I missed the chance. Oh well, I still have $10 and DB has layoffs.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    A suggestion for the Team ...

Add a special offer tab to the portal listing all current special offers from $10 to $99 since they come around once a week and people say they won't buy the offer they got but would a different one allow them the choice. Once the player picks the offer of their choice all offers have a 7day cooldown timer or 72hr cooldown.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »

Add a special offer tab to the portal listing all current special offers from $10 to $99 since they come around once a week and people say they won't buy the offer they got but would a different one allow them the choice. Once the player picks the offer of their choice all offers have a 7day cooldown timer or 72hr cooldown.
    What a great Idea!! I dont understand why we need to wait until a special offer to spend money (Dilithium is too expensive for little benifit)!

Let us choose how and when to spend money, in-turn we'll spend it!!
    DB: Do Better
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drsheep wrote: »
    400% offer... no I get 40%.... I really love the uneven offers in a game that has competitive rewards (sarcasm).21aqru7cc5qy.png
    Isn't the same deal available via Steam for £29.99 plus ship schematics? I'm failing to see whats so 'special' about these special offers.

DB: Do Better
  • [BL] Q wrote: »

While I think this is a excellent idea even if this system were to be implemented it would not be fair and equal. Rather it would be tailored to your vip, spending history, etc. So big ballers an vip 14's would still get the big risky gamble deals and developing players would get the sweeter less volatile low risk high value deals to keep them around and hook them into the game more.