Home The Bridge
Options

Voyage supplies and weird times

Funny thing is, my voyage was estimated to go to 8 hours and it only went to 7 1/2. Thought nothing much of it, though I extended it and it nearly made it to 10 (because I had the final star for Changeling Bashir). Then a few hours later I was on my fleet's Discord server and it turns out that not just myself, but 3 others in my fleet had unexpectedly short voyages too.

We are wondering if it was a temporal anomaly limited to our sector of space, or whether other fleets had noticed it too. Perhaps subspace has been twisted and we are going to need to stock up on additional 'voyage supplies' to take our ships further into unexplored space?
Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
Check out our website to find out more:
https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/

Comments

• Options
    We are wondering if it was a temporal anomaly limited to our sector of space, or whether other fleets had noticed it too. Perhaps subspace has been twisted and we are going to need to stock up on additional 'voyage supplies' to take our ships further into unexplored space?

I noticed it a couple of times, but not to that extent. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes shorter. I just chalked it up to RNG. The likely scenario is that there was a minor nerf that no one knew about that happened awhile back, changing the fail levels for hazards. It may not have been a big deal then, but with the emergence of better crew and longer voyages, it becomes more noticeable.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you noticed that dot.
    I noticed that in the Skirmish it was lit for the ship with a trait bonus.
    Then sending out my voyage I noticed in all locations crew and ship.
    I think we may be experiencing a change. But my time estimate was not off. But that was last night. I have yet to have a time estimate for my current voyage. I mean by time estimate how long after dilemma my ship has when AM is less than 2540AM.
  • Options

I noticed it a couple of times, but not to that extent. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes shorter. I just chalked it up to RNG. The likely scenario is that there was a minor nerf that no one knew about that happened awhile back, changing the fail levels for hazards. It may not have been a big deal then, but with the emergence of better crew and longer voyages, it becomes more noticeable.

The Voyage difficulty was not incremented, I have tested it mathematically just last weekend. I do agree that RNG does miracles sometimes and sinks your ship much more times. I can say that difficulty on voyages is a linear equation, buy just analizing data...
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    If your secondary stat is very different from your main stat, or there is large differences between the remaining four stats, then you are more vulnerable to normal RNG affecting the voyage duration more noticeably. It becomes much more dependant on which skill checks you get, then.

If one refill added more than 3 hours to your voyage, it sounds like you main stat was over 10k... perhaps to the detriment of other stats?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen 30 min variations on occasion. RNG gave too many challenges to my worst stat and under-performed my best PRI/SEC stats. It happens. The Voyages estimator tool is just that, an estimate. It's possible for your worst stat to come up every time, just like it's possible for your best stat to come up every time.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    +/- 30 minutes is pretty normal variance for voyages. I wouldn't get too excited over it. You could send the same exact crew on two separate voyages and have them be an hour apart.
  • Options
    Interestingly I had to extend a voyage as well. Something I never do.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah...I had a Voyage fail at a time much earlier than better-staffed Voyages in the past.

I had chalked it up to exceptionally terrible RNG but...maybe not? Dunno
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a weird voyage last night. It burned off about 1300-1400 AM between the 2nd and 3rd dilemmas and that was unexpected. Its possible it could've made 4th dilemma but decided not to chance it. I set my alarm for about 90 minutes and then promptly recalled even with 300 AM left. I assumed it was really bad RNG but I forgot to check my results when it returned this morning.

I sent the exact same Voyage out this morning. The 2nd-3rd dilemma was not good but not as bad as last night. I then lost about 100 AM in 30 minutes which is pretty decent.

I blame DB for not giving me an Orion ship.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I must have messed up on my alarms. When I got to voyage it was out of AM.
    Will make sure with calculator after next dilemma.
    My time was off but within the margin of being off by one hazard.
    So probably still 21.2AM/min.

Edit: I always leave more time. But that does not help when I quick calc. In my mind and am off by 10 minutes. What works well when I do not make a mistake, is to subtract 6 minutes from the time. I also set another 3 minutes later. That second alarm is for when I am in game, so I do not forget about voyage. That one I have been burned on many times,
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    I must have messed up on my alarms. When I got to voyage it was out of AM.
    Will make sure with calculator after next dilemma.
    My time was off but within the margin of being off by one hazard.
    So probably still 21.2AM/min.

All it takes is one dilemma over and your ship is crashing and burning. I always go by 30 AM per minute just to be on the absolute safe side

• Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Banjo1012
    30 AM is fine.
    For me the problem was I had a lot of AM still left got involved in other things.then looked at voyage and it needed to be revived. So I have gone to a two alarm system. Why is it when we're in the game there is no warning on low antimatter until we go to galaxy map. And even then you might have 240 AM left.

Though I guess nothing works better than just bringing them home after dilemma. But when you have over 500AM you feel like getting what you can
    Also when I am in game I like to get it to at least 100 AM.
    However, when I have not revived there has been a few times I recalled even with more than a 1000AM.

I do not really mind I have the dil. I do not use dil. for much else. Just annoyed when I am in the game and forget about it.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to force myself to set an alarm, even if it's only for 5 minutes. That way I don't get distracted. I've been distracted once too many and forgot about a voyage until it was too late.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Okay this voyage that little circle they added is lighting up when I have crew or ship with the trait bonus. This is new.

Edit: I asked for a trait button. That button would only show crew with the trait. Do you think they took that and created a trait indicator?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Ive reached the 8 hour mark for my past 10 voyages so i havent noticed the change, i usually end with a little over 500 am left too which is always nice for some wiggle room, maybe go past 8 hours if i got time to monitor it[
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had estimated my current voyage to go 8:44, it ended up going to 8:50 after spending an inordinate amount of time in the 100-200 AM range getting a lucky string of Primary skill rolls.
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If you were using the Crew Management application to suggest a Voyage crew... apparently the last release was a bit broken. It's been updated with a fix now.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Echoing that I have many times sent out the exact same Voyage two times within a 24 hour period, and had their length vary by more than 30 minutes. Sometimes you just get much better luck Avoiding Hazards than others.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »
    If you were using the Crew Management application to suggest a Voyage crew... apparently the last release was a bit broken. It's been updated with a fix now.

Lately I've found the thorough estimate function is really messed up. If I run the thorough version (changing the target calculations to anything from 10 to 100, or leaving it default 6), it is always giving me a time estimate right in the tool that's worse than the "quick and dirty" version. I did not get notification of an update yet, but maybe I'll check for one (beta?).
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Voyages have been right on the money this week, except for this current one, which I didn't expect to hit even 7h45 but is 5 minutes from 8h with 300AM still in the tank.

Just standard variance (just like the fortnightly Voyage "nerfs"), I expect.
  • Options
    guest_7456guest_7456 ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I had a weird voyage last night. It burned off about 1300-1400 AM between the 2nd and 3rd dilemmas and that was unexpected. Its possible it could've made 4th dilemma but decided not to chance it. I set my alarm for about 90 minutes and then promptly recalled even with 300 AM left. I assumed it was really bad RNG but I forgot to check my results when it returned this morning.

I sent the exact same Voyage out this morning. The 2nd-3rd dilemma was not good but not as bad as last night. I then lost about 100 AM in 30 minutes which is pretty decent.

I blame DB for not giving me an Orion ship.

This has happened to me twice; I thought I had somehow messed up my crew/ship! Horribly distributed rng was the problem but it balanced out by the 8hr one. And actually, one of those was timed perfectly so that I was able to resend the same crew and on the second run the distribution was more even, but the end time was pretty much the same. random being random.