Home Engineering Room

Hologram or costumed ? But not both ?

Hey,

I was wondering why the Frank Hollander char get BOTH the costumed AND the hologram traits, when for instance Muskeeter Geordi does not ? He only gets the hologram trait. Shouldn't this be either ALL costumed holograms gets both traits, or all only gets the hologram trait ?

Comments

• Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    technically, ANY hologram is costumed, unless they're naked!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • technically, ANY hologram is costumed, unless they're naked!

Well not trying to go much deeper on it but to be precise they can't be 'naked'. So no matter what they look to be dressing is part of them. It's their 'skin' made to look like something different.

Probably the best would be only 'hologram' trait to all the holograms no matter their nature.
  • technically, ANY hologram is costumed, unless they're naked!

Well not trying to go much deeper on it but to be precise they can't be 'naked'. So no matter what they look to be dressing is part of them. It's their 'skin' made to look like something different.

Probably the best would be only 'hologram' trait to all the holograms no matter their nature.

True. And I wouldn't mind if Hollander lost his "costumed" trait. I'm just confused why it shouldn't be the same for ALL holograms...
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    DB trait consistency gets especially murky when the holodeck is involved. The our man bashir ds9 crew are a hodge podge of inconcistent traits.
  • Count23Count23 ✭✭✭
    Theoretically Musketeer La forge was not the real laforge in a costume but a holographic duplicate, so maybe costumed doesn't apply?

Doesnt work with the Our Man Bashir folks tho as all of them were real crew in costumes, not replicas.

• t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    Count23 wrote: »
    Theoretically Musketeer La forge was not the real laforge in a costume but a holographic duplicate, so maybe costumed doesn't apply?

Doesnt work with the Our Man Bashir folks tho as all of them were real crew in costumes, not replicas.

In theory, kinda. Worf, Kira, Dax and Sisko were holograms made from the transporter patterns of the actual crew. O'Brien was as well, but also at a different time costumed as the same character so could be a different case. If you look at them, they all behave very differently. Worf, kira, sisko all had the same "status" but Worf and Kira get their racial traits, sisko does not. There are a bunch of other inconsistencies as well.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    technically, ANY hologram is costumed, unless they're naked!

That's not true. Costumed is different than clothed.

Mobile Doctor, Holodeck 3 Brahms, and Hologram Barclay are just a few examples of non costumed holograms.

In the case of Hollander, Anastasia, and others of the same ilk, I think we're thinking backwards. Hollander and Anastasia are characters who are costumed (in skin, not clothes) as Data and Kira respectively.

I don't think that's inconsistent with Goddess of Empathy or Musketeer La Forge not being costumed. Those are Barclay-created characters using the likeness of actual crew, not other characters with their own appearance temporarily appearing as crew members.

• Twist [DAA]Twist [DAA] ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Count23 wrote: »

But the same is true of Hollander. It was not the real data, but a glitch caused by Laforge and Data trying to interface Data with the ships computer.
    So the actual Data never put on those clothes and played the Hollander role in the holoprogram. It was just Troi, Worf and Alexander who were a part of the program. Thus Hollander is not costumed, as he 100% holographic. Same as every single other holographic char. In fact, he is the ONLY Holographic char with both "Hologram" and "Costumed" trait.

IMO "Hologram", covers anyone created by the holodeck. Whereas "Costumed" applies to anyone who puts on a costume, regardless if it is for holodeck purposes, a carnival or one of Qs tricks.

Why Anastasia and Falcon Obrien are both, is another matter. Falcon was initially a hologram only, untill Obrien later took on the custome. In this case it seems to be a time inconsistency. Anastasia, never was played by Kira, AFAIK.