Home The Bridge

What I like about the skirmish event

DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
I figure we have plenty of places already telling the bad stuff--and there are some annoying points--but I want to start a positive thread.

I like that the time in battle seems to be extended. I dislike 20 second battles in the arena. Here we can use crew more than once. I like that.

Comments

• S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    It’s nice to have a new event. And it’s a novelty to see the weaker ships mixing it with the 5+ ships...

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like how I am acquiring VP with less time and far fewer resources than other event types. I assume that is partly due to having a good crew.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate space battles and this event *is* a grind so I was pessimistic going in, but I'm really loving it so far. The rewards after each battle help A LOT. And using crew I've never looked at before is pretty nice as well.
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I liked it... I got a little past Darth Bashir before I ran out of intel. I wish DB would send us some extra Intel, there is a learning process the first time around. I really only made a few mistakes before I figured it out. But overall, it was fun.

Addendum:

Just found out Intel rebuild over time.... which is nice :)
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etienne wrote: »
    I liked it... I got a little past Darth Bashir before I ran out of intel. I wish DB would send us some extra Intel, there is a learning process the first time around. I really only made a few mistakes before I figured it out. But overall, it was fun.

Addendum:

Just found out Intel rebuild over time.... which is nice :)

Better yet, use those chrons for Space Battles to level crew, which gives you MORE INTEL! I thought I was out for a while, so I leveled some crew, and looked up to over 4K Intel!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • I’m just happy it’s working and not another half assed glitchy event just thrown together. We’ll see how long this lasts.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    <post about whether Darth Bashir is worth citing snipped>

I only have 38,000ish honor anyway, I’ll have time to make a decision.

I also want to say that even though it’s been only about six hours since I posted the above comment in the Ready Room, I’ve collected about 3000 honor from this event. Some of that is from fleet rewards, completing all daily missions, and airlocking the first two threshold Young Khans and the threshold Promoted Siskos (who I have already immortalized) but that’s it - I haven’t airlocked any voyage rewards crew or bought any packs since then. If this trend holds up it might be a valuable solution to the honor drop rate problem.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s grindy but not annoyingly so, like Expedition and Galaxy events. There’s enough variation between battles to keep it from being entirely mindless.

I do like that you can give yourself more participation opportunities by running missions you may already have been running. All of a sudden, farming 0* science experiments from Not A Drop To Drink rather than Operation Isolate doesn’t feel so bad.

What variation? Isn't it the same 5 battles?
  • Potential Pro: This event's seemingly endless supply of chroniton buildup may be an ideal partner for a Galaxy Event hybrid.

Potential Con: In its current setup, you never run out of chronitons and thus feel compelled to continue until you at least can get under your cap. This does not seem likely without some serious tweaking/nerfing to the rewards (chronitons awarded in the event and intel awarded from missions) and perhaps raising the intel cost cap.

I don't understand how people are still saying that the grind for Galaxy Events is worse than this. At some point with those, you do have to bring in additional chronitons in order to just compete. With this event, it feels like a heaping supply of NoDoz is instead what's needed.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    I like that the time in battle seems to be extended. I dislike 20 second battles in the arena. Here we can use crew more than once. I like that.
    Uhm... Battles in arena sometimes require two T'Kuvma-cycles from me. I have yet to get battle with more than one here. So... 20 seconds.
  • I'm enjoying this event :smiley:
    I like the lot boxes, aside from the pitiful credit drops. I do wonder about all the comments on dropping chronitons. I have about 1 in five drops as chronitons, but I get 76. I got 150 once. I keep hearing about 300 dropping for others. Perhaps the ship you use affects the drops?
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing about 300 dropping for others. Perhaps the ship you use affects the drops?

I hear many theories. Tested a few of them out myself. But, in reality, I doubt there's anything as sophisticated as that at play here. Just good ol' DB-RNG Mk 1...
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    It’s grindy but not annoyingly so, like Expedition and Galaxy events. There’s enough variation between battles to keep it from being entirely mindless.

I do like that you can give yourself more participation opportunities by running missions you may already have been running. All of a sudden, farming 0* science experiments from Not A Drop To Drink rather than Operation Isolate doesn’t feel so bad.

Same five battles, yes. But I find that there is enough difference in critical hits (both given and received) and evasions that it keeps skirmishes fresher than Galaxy or Expedition events. That being said, I would have no problem with Skirmish events never again occurring outside of a hybrid format, like with a Faction event rather than the others. Even I bet this format will get old after day 2...
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Same five battles, yes. But I find that there is enough difference in critical hits (both given and received) and evasions that it keeps skirmishes fresher than Galaxy or Expedition events. That being said, I would have no problem with Skirmish events never again occurring outside of a hybrid format, like with a Faction event rather than the others. Even I bet this format will get old after day 2...

I'd like to see varying opponents, as really, I'm hitting the same sequence of buttons in the same order regardless of damage variance with the same result.

It's like playing a slot you always win, which is cool. Just actually boring.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chroniton drops are pretty generous. I know I shouldn't mention it. I'd take a few less chrons if they'd give like 25,000 credits instead of 2500 when its a credit reward.
  • I LIKE how it encourages space battles to get more intel and thus getting more holo emitters but i would LOVE it if you got holo emitters after every battle or a chance when you choose the reward !!!!!!
  • I am glad there is a positive thread about this event. Space battles are the game-iest part of Timelines, even if the interactivity is limited to choosing when to activate an ability. I agree though that more than two days of it would probably get old. In addition, I am using ships here that I don't use in the Area, so that is neat too.
    The chroniton drops are pretty generous. I know I shouldn't mention it. I'd take a few less chrons if they'd give like 25,000 credits instead of 2500 when its a credit reward.

I just played 8 rounds all the way through without a chroniton drop. I think I have had three 150 drops and maybe a dozen 76 drops. There must be some chroniton drop advantage for certain crew or ships.

That said, I still like that you get stuff, even if it is a pitiful amount of credits.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grind is manageable. All event types involve some degree of repitition, but this is much less gridy than an expedition or galaxy. The individual runs are relatively quick and can be fit to one's schedule. You can do a few during a work break or a commercial break or whatever. Those with more time will do better, but are limited by intel which is indirectly limited by chrons which are spent anyway to level crew and for holoemitters.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

I just played 8 rounds all the way through without a chroniton drop. I think I have had three 150 drops and maybe a dozen 76 drops. There must be some chroniton drop advantage for certain crew or ships.

That said, I still like that you get stuff, even if it is a pitiful amount of credits.

I think you're right about the chroniton advantage with certain ships - I was getting them pretty regularly when using the Krayton, but not nearly as often since switching to the Borg Cube. I'd sooner guess it's really to how long the match guys, since the Cube takes care of the enemy in no time.
  • edited June 2018
    I like the (event specific ?) Voice clips.

Khan screaming "fire" and Professor Scott saying "soda pop" are two I've enjoyed hearing.

Am I just imagining that they're new, or have I just never heard them before ?
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only negative I can come up with and its a small one, and that is not letting you complete the skirmish you are on during phase change over or giving some sort of intel rebate for not completing the skirmish set.

If anyone mentions repetition as a negative then I think they need to re-evaluate just what this game entails 99% of the time.

The positives
    Trickle honor - this was badly needed and a nice boon to when they said they were not planning to adjust this in the QA - of course we do not know when and how frequently this event will continue- but I hope they will strongly consider it to be more frequent.

The trickle Chrons give you a nice boost to either continue farming for intel or warping a couple of essential Away Team missions for levelling - this has been the biggest boon for me and I should think anyone who is suffering from event burnout. This event type allows you to farm important and essential expensive components whilst still being unaffected participating in an event - I've finished off a ton of high levelled characters.

Trickle credits - well these are always welcome.

Voyages and Shuttles are unaffected, you can use your best characters for these without compromising your success in events. Again this is essential and reduces player burnout during and after events.

HOLOEMITTERS! - I think this hasn't been mentioned but I was able to donate over 600 on one day - if this event happens more frequently - then the holoemitters bottleneck might be a resolved or less of an issue in starbase donations
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    I think they made a good event. With a little tweaking, it will be great. I liked that the chron / credit ratio was about spot on. I could run ship missions, gear up some crew, then use the intel from those missions to run skirmishes, and earn enough credits to gear up the next wave.

But, I was running a supply boost that let me earn credits while doing missions. Without that, I think I would be looking at about six dozen crew that had gear, and no credits to build anything.

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    As grindy as this weekend was, the positives totally outweighed the negatives for me. In addition to the honor/chrons/credits/holoemitters, it was great to be able to play along AND level all of my cards at the same time. Galaxy forces you to choose quite bluntly, while Faction limits your chron accumulation from Voyages.

I'd still rather see this more or less exclusively in hybrids going forward - 4 days was just way, way too much.