Home The Bridge

How to make Skirmishes more of a challenge.

Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
First get rid of the artificial tiers, i.e. normal, elite and epic. Start all players on the same tier.

Next create a group of ladder tiers, e.g. at least a dozen. Each tier is harder than the previous, and awards more VP. Make the top tier almost impossible to win unless the player has maxed out event crew.

If the player wins the fifth (and final) ship battle award the player a fixed amount of VP, plus an amount depending upon how much of his hull is intact. e.g. for a hull 54% remaining, the player would get 1000 VP for the win and 540 VP for the hull.

If the player loses the fifth ship battle, award the play with some VP for how much damage he did. e.g. 270 VP for 54% damage, if the winning VP was 1000 VP.

Players score rank points. They gain 1 for every of % hull remaining if the win the fifth fight, they lose 1 for every % of the enemy's hull remaining if they lose the fight. Gaining or losing 100 puts them up or down a rank.

Comments

• First get rid of the artificial tiers, i.e. normal, elite and epic. Start all players on the same tier.

Next create a group of ladder tiers, e.g. at least a dozen. Each tier is harder than the previous, and awards more VP. Make the top tier almost impossible to win unless the player has maxed out event crew.

If the player wins the fifth (and final) ship battle award the player a fixed amount of VP, plus an amount depending upon how much of his hull is intact. e.g. for a hull 54% remaining, the player would get 1000 VP for the win and 540 VP for the hull.

If the player loses the fifth ship battle, award the play with some VP for how much damage he did. e.g. 270 VP for 54% damage, if the winning VP was 1000 VP.

Players score rank points. They gain 1 for every of % hull remaining if the win the fifth fight, they lose 1 for every % of the enemy's hull remaining if they lose the fight. Gaining or losing 100 puts them up or down a rank.

Your plan pretty much makes sure Skirmishes wouldn't be any fun for new/newer captains.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I play this game to have fun. I don’t want them to turn it into a job. I wouldn’t mind if they tweaked the skirmishes but I think they are close to fine as they are. I can see you put a lot of thought into the idea, but I think it would make the game less fun, not more fun

How about if they cut the ship battle mission Intel in half.
    So if I run a 12 Chron Warp 10 so it's 120 Chron total cost. I would get 600 Intel and not 1200?

By the way my Chron. Drop from skirmish has gone down considerably since the first maybe 12 hours of skirmish. So I think DB has lowered the Chron. Bonus reward chance of dropping.

Edit: though phase 2 might be different. So really need to wait until skirmish is done to determine if too much Intel is be given from the ship battle missions.
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    So I think DB has lowered the Chron. Bonus reward chance of dropping.

I have had the same feeling. Was wondering if it's just a dry spell... but by now it seems like "the new normal".
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of what other people have said, I actually like your plan @Mirror Cartman.

The game IS meant to be fun, but the events are meant to be a competition. Although I'm doing well in this event, I don't feel it is a competition, just a mindless grind.
    Plus, we were all new captains once - My first events were awful but if you keep playing, you get better. Yes, the first time you play a skirmish, you won't do well. You'll do better once you've levelled up and played more events.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    I think the ladder idea is a little needlessly complex, but I like the idea behind it. I think variable performance scoring would be a better way to tune it. So you don't have to make it more difficult, or put in more levels of difficulty, but you can reward efficency and performance. Non token bonus points for shield/hull remaining, time remaining, anything down to bonus for unused character abilities.

You can reward folks for kicking behind faster/better without making it even harder for new players. Also would open up strategy as you could do better with a regen build than a burst build, etc.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to my VIP0 account just to try this. [Level 37], and as you can imagine, much lower crew stats, and all the good ships (4*/5*) are 1/9 to 3/10, and unusable.

So Skirmishes in THAT view of the universe looks soooo much different! Very difficult. Could not complete Epic level at all in Phase 1.

I do have Young Khan, but only at level 70 and only 1/4*. Still gets me the bonus on Elite, but I can't tackle much more than that. I would surmise that even if I maintained that account more and was at level 50, similar issues would arise, as I may have a good FF 5* ship, but still very poor stats on my crew to make it all the way through.

Just food for thought when you are complaining about it "being too easy"
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy has no fail state and Faction has a random, oft-irritating fail state. I think the current system is perfect as a middle ground. I have heard of enough regular players having trouble to think that the balance is pretty good as it is.
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Just enjoy the new event. Nobody is always gonna be happy about everything, but skirmishes provides a nice stream of rewards, and how we generate intel means we can simultaneously level crew etc and still get the required intel to keep playing.

• I was having fun for the first couple of days. Man, 4 days of this is really a drag.

They need to end this event after 48 hours max.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was having fun for the first couple of days. Man, 4 days of this is really a drag.

They need to end this event after 48 hours max.

Yes have it part of a hybrid faction event.
    Let’s fly!