Home Ready Room
Options

Help on arena battles!

I’m just very confused because, sometimes when I activate a crew member with a high percentage of “instant damage” it does nothing... yet I get destroyed immediately by their crew with high percentage damage. Is there a certain procedure to using this crew???

Comments

• Options
    First, remember it is a percentage, which means it will fail sometimes. I do the same thing and win about 70% of the time. Try pairing it up with a high attack red crew that activates a couple of seconds earlier.
    Also, make sure you don't use it while they are cloaked. Otherwise it is wasted.
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Accuracy (the yellow skill) is important too... it's only high damage if it hits the target.
  • Options
    I've noticed a similar issue since the skirmish event. Crew who were doing serious damage, even accounting for timing for cloaks, now don't seem to having the same success.

In particular, T'Kuvma, Killy and Mirror Phlox on the Bounty just don't seem to be as effective.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recieved some help from @Elynduil during the skirmish which has carried over to my arena battles. I use a lvl 7 bounty and I can (generally) take on other bountys at lvl 10 and win. Im lucky enough to have Killy who I team with Odo/Klingon Dukat, Ardra and Riots Bashir (his hull repair is v useful) I start with Odo (or Dukat) then Ardra, then Killy. I use Bashir when needed and I watch my cloak carefully. The AI often uses the cloak ASAP so I wait until their ship has their crew ready and then I use my cloak just before they can activate. It doesn't always work but I'm successful at least 80% of the time.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    The AI always use all abilities the moment they becomes available. It's rather... predictable. Less so, when you haven't played with that ship/crew before... it takes a while to get to know everyone's patterns.

Keep in mind that the ships we faced in the Skirmish event didn't have crew allocated. The built-in ship abilities are weaker than most crew abilities. They didn't have much Evasion or Shield Regen, for instance, and they really didn't hit that hard either.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    psi wrote: »
    I’m just very confused because, sometimes when I activate a crew member with a high percentage of “instant damage” it does nothing... yet I get destroyed immediately by their crew with high percentage damage. Is there a certain procedure to using this crew???

Some instant damage abilites have special conditions, like cloaking or position.

And sometimes you just miss. Try activating an accuracy bonus crew before firing.
  • Options
    psipsi ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate the help!
  • Options
    I've noticed a similar issue since the skirmish event. Crew who were doing serious damage, even accounting for timing for cloaks, now don't seem to having the same success.

In particular, T'Kuvma, Killy and Mirror Phlox on the Bounty just don't seem to be as effective.

Thank God I am not the only one experiencing this! Ever since skirmishes I can't get a bloody win anymore!
    Jack Mitchell
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackson992 wrote: »

Thank God I am not the only one experiencing this! Ever since skirmishes I can't get a bloody win anymore!

My success in Arena tends to go in streaks. One day I'll be kicking butt, winning nearly every match, the next I'll repeatedly get blown out of the sky in a few seconds, leaving me wondering what I did wrong. Have hit the top spot in Admiral numerous times with the Bounty, then recently switched to the T'Ong and after the first several matches right after maxing it out, I thought, "Holy smokes this thing is a beast!" But the next day I got killed like 4 times in a row with it. I usually don't care much, though — try to stay in top 1% in all divisions, but every so often I'll drop to top 5%... and that's to be expected, I suppose, when so many people are using the same ships with very similar crew.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    I fell down to top 10% and can't seem to get back into top 5%
    Jack Mitchell