Home The Bridge

Single Stat Crew

AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been a while since we had one, but I wonder if 8472 presents and opportunity to try one out. The single stat would have to be super high. Like best base and best gauntlet for that stat. Sure you'd be losing some flexibility, but if the stat was high enough I think there could be potential.

What do you think?

Comments

• Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    No would be waste of character. Single stat character would never be in gauntlet regardless of how high stats were because it is about combining skills. With power creep most likely it will be another waste like Scotty. Even for voyages would be tough to justify its usefulness.

8472 should not be a one stat character and would probably result in lowest participation in event if it was done.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t even like the idea of single stat purples, never mind a legendary. I still believe Scotty should be granted at least a secondary skill (SCI or COM) and possibly a tertiary skill as well, because a single skill is just plain sad for such a meaningful character.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    A single stat crew would be impossible to balance. It would either be overpowered for shuttles and/or gauntlet or so weak that it isn't usable.

I would expect 8472 to be SEC + (ENG/SCI). Possibly all three, but I'm leaning SEC/SCI.
  • I think... HELL NO
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nero84 wrote: »
    No would be waste of character. Single stat character would never be in gauntlet regardless of how high stats were because it is about combining skills. With power creep most likely it will be another waste like Scotty. Even for voyages would be tough to justify its usefulness.

8472 should not be a one stat character and would probably result in lowest participation in event if it was done.

If the single skill is high enough, then combining skills doesn't matter. I'm talking 1k+ average SEC. 800-1200 or something like that. And 1600 base SEC.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    What do you think?
    No! It would just make the card useless.

DB: Do Better
  • arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    What do you think?
    No! It would just make the card useless.

This , a thousand times this.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would challenge you to say that 1600 base 800-1200 proficiency is useless even if it's the only skill. It may force you to think if you want only that one skill on a Voyage or not, but 2600 single skill boost would be useful for that skill on Voyages and 800-1200 is powerful enough to be worth it in gauntlet regardless of what skill it's paired with.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    And my main point was that having a crew like that makes you think about tradeoffs of 1 vs 2 vs 3 skills, instead of a blanket knee-jerk reaction against a single skill that you're seeing.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting it regardless, but I would be happier if it were Sec/Eng/Sci. It's a bitter pill to swallow for a one skill character.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭

If the single skill is high enough, then combining skills doesn't matter. I'm talking 1k+ average SEC. 800-1200 or something like that. And 1600 base SEC.

Regardless if your single stat is high enough it is still unlikely it would be used. Gauntlet requires a wide range of skills for people to be successful. If you hamstring one of your choices to a 1 skill character it won't be successful regardless of how high the proficiency is. 2 stat characters are rare and generally depend on having the high proficiency (and usually being super rare) or having insane critical chances. I get where you are going and it is a fun idea to discuss but I just don't think based on the mechanics of the game it is going to be well received because there isn't a lot of use for characters with only 1 trait.
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t even like the idea of single stat purples, never mind a legendary. I still believe Scotty should be granted at least a secondary skill (SCI or COM) and possibly a tertiary skill as well, because a single skill is just plain sad for such a meaningful character.

It is mind-boggling to me that CAPTAIN Scott doesn't even have the command skill.
  • arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭
    I would challenge you to say that 1600 base 800-1200 proficiency is useless even if it's the only skill. It may force you to think if you want only that one skill on a Voyage or not, but 2600 single skill boost would be useful for that skill on Voyages and 800-1200 is powerful enough to be worth it in gauntlet regardless of what skill it's paired with.

Voyages-> only would make it out when Sec was the primary skill and even then with all the Sec heavy crew may not go out 100% of the time. I'm also assuming the hypothetical stats are for a 5/5 so if you have a 1/5 would it go out over Mirror Picard? No , how about Robin hood, or any other 3 skill heavy Sec , not likely ? So maybe using on a voyage once a week at most. As for gauntlet eh.... I don't really care about gauntlet anymore after having 5 Guinan gauntlets in the last month. So I'll change from utterly useless to potentially useful once in a blue moon.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless if your single stat is high enough it is still unlikely it would be used. Gauntlet requires a wide range of skills for people to be successful. If you hamstring one of your choices to a 1 skill character it won't be successful regardless of how high the proficiency is. 2 stat characters are rare and generally depend on having the high proficiency (and usually being super rare) or having insane critical chances. I get where you are going and it is a fun idea to discuss but I just don't think based on the mechanics of the game it is going to be well received because there isn't a lot of use for characters with only 1 trait.

I hear what you're saying, but using the pair is only to increase the total score. To pick an extreme roll as an example, if a character was SEC 2000-3000 roll in any skill, then that character would win against any pair. Sure someone else might have SEC/CMD and get more rolls, but there is no combination of rolls that would beat it, so you're effectively getting SEC + CMD/DIP/SCI/MED/ENG all in a single character. Everyone would use that character even with only SEC. Now if the roll was 20-30 then it would always lose and no one would use it. That means there must be some roll between 20-30 and 2000-3000 where some people would use the characters and others won't That makes for an interesting choice and a more varied game.
  • I see what you're saying. For example, a FFFE legendary with around 2000 SEC base (and say 1400 at 1/5) and roughly 600-1200 proficiency would present an interesting choice for players.

For shuttles, that crew would be used all the time, by everyone including in dual SEC slots. At 1/5 this crew would be as good as top current SEC kings like Durango Troi, Falcon O'brien so may not be preferred in that case.

For gauntlet, you may choose to use this person as they would, for example have a 50/50 shot against a mirror phlox or a gangster spock.

Finally in voyages, at 1/5 it's probably not worthwhile for most, but may get used in a SEC primary voyage.

I think the numbers would have to be in that range to make it worthwhile and 'not another captain scott'
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    So you would be advocating and increase of something like 5 times (maybe a bit higher) what the best character currently has. Yes that would help win a couple of rounds but I would personally still avoid because once you use the crew once it becomes basically useless and on defense people can just reroll to avoid you.

If DB did something like you are advocating it could work because that crew would be amazing in voyages but it would be so hard for DB to judge what is "Captain Scott" level in which no one cares and absolutely insane which they would regret.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    It is mind-boggling to me that CAPTAIN Scott doesn't even have the command skill.

Simply honoring his wishes.
    I may be captain by rank, but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer.

True, though I submit that since Scotty has a staff of other engineers to manage that he would still have a decent COM skill to reflect not only his own peerless engineering skills but also the ability to effectively command and coordinate the rest of his engineering crew better other, lesser, chief engineers in the fleet.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Single stat characters...fairly useless.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Single stat crew....eh...NO!!
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »

Simply honoring his wishes.
    I may be captain by rank, but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer.

True, though I submit that since Scotty has a staff of other engineers to manage that he would still have a decent COM skill to reflect not only his own peerless engineering skills but also the ability to effectively command and coordinate the rest of his engineering crew better other, lesser, chief engineers in the fleet.

Scotty is balanced around his passive ship stats, not his skill stats, also, unlisted skills on a card are based off their lowest listed stat. Scotty could actually do like every node on the first difficulty level in expeditions, a like 350 base secondary or tertiary would actually nerf him on unlisted skills.

Not all cards are meant for the same uses, if Capt. Scotty got any buff I would say a shield or hull repair, or crit or burst damage on his ship ability would be preferred to a secondary and tertiary skill. He's just not meant for his away mission skills.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather have a single skill crew with killer stats than a 3-skill crew where it was more evenly spread out and none of the skills were above average.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind a single skill cadet.
  • AviTrek wrote: »

I hear what you're saying, but using the pair is only to increase the total score. To pick an extreme roll as an example, if a character was SEC 2000-3000 roll in any skill, then that character would win against any pair. Sure someone else might have SEC/CMD and get more rolls, but there is no combination of rolls that would beat it, so you're effectively getting SEC + CMD/DIP/SCI/MED/ENG all in a single character. Everyone would use that character even with only SEC. Now if the roll was 20-30 then it would always lose and no one would use it. That means there must be some roll between 20-30 and 2000-3000 where some people would use the characters and others won't That makes for an interesting choice and a more varied game.

I don't understand why people don't seem to get this. DB absolutely could make viable single-skill characters, their skill values would simply have to be significantly higher than existing multi-skill crew to make up for it. How much higher is something DB would need to determine, but there is definitely some range that would work.

Everyone loves to point at Captain Scott as an example of why single-skill characters can't work, but Captain Scott isn't bad because he's single-skill, he's bad because his single skill isn't even competitive with other same-rarity characters with that skill. Giving him secondary/tertiary skills wouldn't salvage him unless they were in sufficient quantities to compete with similar characters.

• <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why people don't seem to get this. DB absolutely could make viable single-skill characters, their skill values would simply have to be significantly higher than existing multi-skill crew to make up for it. How much higher is something DB would need to determine, but there is definitely some range that would work.

Everyone loves to point at Captain Scott as an example of why single-skill characters can't work, but Captain Scott isn't bad because he's single-skill, he's bad because his single skill isn't even competitive with other same-rarity characters with that skill. Giving him secondary/tertiary skills wouldn't salvage him unless they were in sufficient quantities to compete with similar characters.

I haven't heard proposed numbers yet that are both reasonable and make up for the lack of other skills, without being somewhat game breaking on the single skill.

But overall, it sounds to me like they wouldn't be very good for voyages or gauntlet, in which case the only saving grace would be a 1300-1500 base, and I still don't know if that would be worth it to me.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't heard proposed numbers yet that are both reasonable and make up for the lack of other skills, without being somewhat game breaking on the single skill.

But overall, it sounds to me like they wouldn't be very good for voyages or gauntlet, in which case the only saving grace would be a 1300-1500 base, and I still don't know if that would be worth it to me.

Finding the right skills would be a balancing act. Captain Scott levels would be worthless. Super high skills would be game breaking, but that means there must be some skill level between that two that would be useful but not game breaking. For the sake of putting numbers on paper, how about this:

SEC: 1600(base FF)
    PROF: 800 - 1200

That would make the crew the best base SEC so usable on shuttles.

800-1200 would be the best SEC proficiency and the 1k average would be competitive with any 2 stat combos in the game.

2600 combined average would be far and away better than SEC crew for Voyages. The only downside would be the total points across all skills is lower than some other 5*.

Personally I'd consider playing with that crew. In fact, I wonder if that proficiency roll is TOO high and would need to be tweaked lower to avoid walls.

But the real point is we should be debating between cost/benefits of crew to use and not always having an obvious choice. And I think a crew like this provides an interesting new option to consider.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭

800-1200 would be the best SEC proficiency and the 1k average would be competitive with any 2 stat combos in the game.

Personally I'd consider playing with that crew. In fact, I wonder if that proficiency roll is TOO high and would need to be tweaked lower to avoid walls.

But the real point is we should be debating between cost/benefits of crew to use and not always having an obvious choice. And I think a crew like this provides an interesting new option to consider.

I think something like this could be workable, that said, a min roll of 800 is nuts and would lead to walls, I think i would have to have a lower bottom end on the proficiency, say 300-400? Defensive Phlox is avg 587 roll on med, So a 350-1150 would be a 750 avg roll. This would make it stronger then anyone in a one off, and weaker to some of the strongest pairs, making it a balanced choice
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Using recent Enemy Lines Sisko as an example.

We frequently look at just the skill scores (and traits), especially since that is what is posted before the event. But sometimes we forget about the ship stats too (which I know aren't as generally useful, but they do exist). Someone had made a comment about Sisko's stats being unimpressive, when I pointed out his ship ability was evasion with a 400% damage (and +550 acc, +100 crit bonus, +148 crit rating, +440 evasion as base traits at FE) So some of the balance was that while his mission skills were maybe a little underwhelming, he did have some decent ship qualities.

So a 1 trait character (not that I want it), might also have really nice ship stats.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭

nope nope nope nope nope

Get out of here with that....

a 1400-1500 base for a single stat, intriguing and I could see that.

combining the highest base in the game by a large margin with a strong roll, sure if he's one stat make him good could totally be viable.

giving anyone a bottom proficiency roll higher than the max roll of the like top ten average security roll characters???? have you ever played the gauntlet before? just, no.

Sec: 1500 (327-750)

Would me more realistic and intriguing without being game breaking.