Home Engineering Room
Options

Ad Warps Should Respect Phone Sound Setting

We had this issue before, but it's happening again. Previously, if a phone is set to silent/vibrate only, ad warps were muted. With the current version of the game, when playing phone ads, sound is played at full volume regardless of setting. This makes ad warps unusable.
F2P/VIP 0 for LIFE!

Comments

• Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of phone are you using? I've seen comments like this before, but have never experienced it myself.

(Android, LG G5 myself)
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should also go in Engineering rather than the bridge. I turn my phone volume all the way down (separately from vibrate/silent only) and haven't had an issue.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never happened to me, when my phone is silent, so are ads
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    A phone can be set to silent/vibrate only but still have the "media" volume turned up, are you sure this isn't the case for you?
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the google play store, nothing indicates that STT has access to volume controls.
    • Full network access
    • Google Play billing service
    • receive data from Internet
    • View network connections
    • View Wi-Fi connections

All of these seem appropriate.

I'm not 100% sure on how this list is generated, but I'm pretty sure STT can't manually change what your volume is set to.

Now, if you have the STT application set to "mute" but your phone's MEDIA volume is up (like a previous poster said might be the case) then that is a completely different matter. The Ad will play sound regardless of what the STT application is set to sound-wise. Muting the phone's media volume should trump the Ad volume.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is currently happening to me on iOS with one ad. An ad from Intel for a gen 8 i7 processor. Unfortunately it’s practically the only ad that I’ve been getting recently.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had this issue. I have a Samsung and play with phone volume off.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most ads remain silent but I did get one last night for some beetus medication that played at the regular volume setting. The last one before that was long enough ago that I don’t recall what it was or when.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.3.1
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me too on iPhone. It’s the one where it says your video will start in x amount of seconds. Really annoying when your baby is sleeping then this ad blares at seemingly past full volume
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    This happens to me as well, but only on SOME ads. Most ads play silently. It's a huge shock where you're somewhere very quiet and the phone starts blasting an ad.

I have game sound turned all the way off on this iPhone 7 Plus (in the in-game settings) AND have the silent switch turned on. Either of these things alone should stop the sounds, but don't.

Most ads don't have this error. But some definitely do.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding those who have volume turned way down and still hear them, I've noticed this as well, and I suspect some of these ads are increasing their perceived loudness, which can be done without increasing the max volume (basically cutting way down on dynamic range). It's a technique that TV advertisers have used for many years, although usually just local ads since networks won't allow those kinds of shenanigans any more.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Regarding those who have volume turned way down and still hear them, I've noticed this as well, and I suspect some of these ads are increasing their perceived loudness, which can be done without increasing the max volume (basically cutting way down on dynamic range). It's a technique that TV advertisers have used for many years, although usually just local ads since networks won't allow those kinds of shenanigans any more.

You read my mind. Those commercials would jolt you awake at 2 AM then TV people put a stop to it. Advertisers thought it would bring more attention to their product when in fact it angered me into never buying what they are selling