Home The Bridge
Options

Pathetic Way to End this Mega

I've been on the forums lately and it seems to me that lots of players were clamouring for members of the Jack Pack, specifically Admiral Patrick in this Mega.

hqdefault.jpg

Some naysayers who love to *tsk tsk* and scold those critical of DB's character selection pointed out, "hey, it's not DS9 Augments this mega, it's DS9 plus Augments!.... and the Voyager crew are for story purposes because we ummm, errrr... play this game for the story."

I'm really puzzled, if DB wanted a DS9 Augment as the final prize, they couldn't give us a canon character, a member of the Jack Pack? Astounding! Are there any Trek Fans that work for DB? I wonder what the DB apologists will say to this turn of events?

Comments

• Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say the three of them (like the shot above) would have made an okay group shot single 3* card, but not broken up if it doesn’t happen.
  • Options
    Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm glad we didn't get Statistical Probabilities: The Mega-event. They would be fine for a one off, but I don't think the Jack Pack is interesting enough to carry a whole Mega-event. I'm glad we got other DS9 and Augment characters instead (Though I didn't need Species 8472 and Seven of Nine taking up valuable space). I think the Misfits would have made good 3*s, though. Include one with each event. It would have been an unintrusive way to include all of them.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say the three of them (like the shot above) would have made an okay group shot single 3* card, but not broken up if it doesn’t happen.

I'd 100% agree with that. I think that would have been an interesting easter-egg card to introduce of sorts.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

All 3 together, each a single skill as befitting of an idiot-savant which essentially they were played as. Command/Eng/Dip or Sci 3* character. I REALLY think you struck gold with this suggestion. Or, and I could be down with this, 3 new 1* star characters to collect that *triple* fuse into a blue, only with 1 of each, since some folks enjoy the fusers and it wouldn’t be nearly as intensive as the previous two to collect. I do agree wholeheartedly with the group opinion, as individual cards they would be too much.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, as we have seen over the days they have some hardcore fans in this forum, but at least as many who could well do without them. Same as Matt I found them annoying to watch and would not have found this event mega if it had been flooded with them.

As easter eggs as you guys suggested they would have been ok though. That aside surely a strange choice for the final legendary, but in case he has power creep engineering I can live with that...
  • Options
    t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    I think with sound clip, Admiral Patrick would have had a pretty strong response. I agree neither of the other two needed characters. I think the "right" answer would have been more along the lines of slipping Patrick in as the 3* instead of Khan on the skirmish event. Maybe we will sill see him as such this next week.

I don't mind non-canon. Cards like Mayweather and Yarr from Battle of New York look great. I hate poorly done non-canon, see Potatok, Ice Pirate Riker, and COP Picard.
  • Options
    I would have liked Admiral Patrick with the sound clip, but there were also plenty of other good ideas floating around. As I said in the Leeta thread, I'd have been fine with any CANON Augment and/or DS9 crew. After all, there's so many to choose from.

We did indeed get a main cast DS9 Crew for the finale Legendary, but once again, DB is ending a Mega event with a whimper, by featuring a non-canon crew. These are my least favorite cards, both due to the non-canon nature of them and the often sub-par artwork that accompanies them.

If you absolutely have to create these, at least put them in the middle of the Mega, so we have a worthwhile finale to look forward to.
    There's an old saying: "Fortune favors the bold." Well - I guess we're about to find out.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they have to make non-canon cards at all. There were 100's of episodes with O'Brien in them, pick one of those...

It has to be a money thing. Perhaps they don't have to pay as much for them. We should just sit this one out and show them that we don't want them.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I don't understand why they have to make non-canon cards at all.

If you read the April Q&A, it's apparent that DB considers Timelines as a source of new Star Trek content.
    Are there changes considered for the Events schedule like shorter events, more reruns, and
    more Mega-Event reruns?
    We actually discuss this topic frequently. Right now, Star Trek Timelines is the only place where you can get a new Star Trek story almost every week. So just like a television series, there are reruns that come up, but people usually tune in for new episodes more than reruns. We love being a place where fans know they can count on new Star Trek stories being readily available to them, so we aren’t giving that up anytime soon. However, we are looking at what “shorter” events might mean for our players and the future of the game.

Emphasis in the answer added by me.

So you might as well ask why Star Trek novel authors create non canon characters.

That's an excuse, not an explanation. They know that in the main we prefer canon characters and it would not be a stretch to assume that it affects sales, so there is possibly a counter monetary incentive at the heart of this. It's certainly worth discussing.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    You vastly overestimate the popularity of the misfits. DB struck a good balance, picking the only one of them that actually saw a story line devoted to her.

The choice of a non-cannon O'Brien as the final 5* is a bit questionable, I'd agree, but going with just Sarina was the right call.

I have to agree. The misfits were over-acted caricatures and highly annoying to watch. Sarina was the exception. Good choice, DB.

Totally agree Sarina is the only one who didn't annoy the living hell out of me.

They were annoying characters who popped in a couple of times. Hardly the focus of a mega event IMO
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    I don't understand why they have to make non-canon cards at all.

If you read the April Q&A, it's apparent that DB considers Timelines as a source of new Star Trek content.
    Are there changes considered for the Events schedule like shorter events, more reruns, and
    more Mega-Event reruns?
    We actually discuss this topic frequently. Right now, Star Trek Timelines is the only place where you can get a new Star Trek story almost every week. So just like a television series, there are reruns that come up, but people usually tune in for new episodes more than reruns. We love being a place where fans know they can count on new Star Trek stories being readily available to them, so we aren’t giving that up anytime soon. However, we are looking at what “shorter” events might mean for our players and the future of the game.

Emphasis in the answer added by me.

So you might as well ask why Star Trek novel authors create non canon characters.

That's an excuse, not an explanation. They know that in the main we prefer canon characters and it would not be a stretch to assume that it affects sales, so there is possibly a counter monetary incentive at the heart of this. It's certainly worth discussing.

I'd say it's actually an explanation, not an excuse. DB sees themselves as a Trek storytelling medium, and like any good author, they try not to let the critics write the novel.

Whether it results in great stories every time is a different matter. Nobody bats a thousand.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    ehsqkxiet011.jpg
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    A five star O'Brien? Awesome! Just what I wanted! And Mirror Leeta! Extraordinary! And I get to finish my Augment Riker! How cool is this event?
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A five star O'Brien? Awesome! Just what I wanted! And Mirror Leeta! Extraordinary! And I get to finish my Augment Riker! How cool is this event?

So you won’t be using your 155,000 chrons?

• Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Admiral Patrick I think would be well received. To me his "That's a stupid question" and "That's a stupid question too" are iconic and fun. I don't think there would have been complaints if it was just him and Sarina or if the others were made as 3*s.

These guys were the first who came to my mind when I saw the results of the poll, and expected a bunch of other augments from TOS + random non-augment DS9 characters too. I've been looking forward to Species 8472, but doesn't seem to fit here or what people voted for.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

156,000 now
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people are getting way too hung up on the theme. This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, for a mega to have non-canon crew or crew who don't fit the theme.

It's also not the first time that crew haven't fit both parts of a theme. How many Andorians from Discovery did we get in February? One in a Tuesday 6-pack, and not even in an event?

It's all well and good with me. -shrug-

What I'm not so cool with is a 6-day event and expanded thresholds to match... as someone who has 2 accounts, I don't expect this to end well for me. xD

I also didn't really want the entire Jack Pack or even Admiral Patrick himself. And if they were having issues getting a sound clip for him, I'd rather they wait to release him and do it properly.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly and truly dislike all three of them...Jack was insufferably selfish, Lauren was as interesting as a wet shoebox full of moss, and Patrick was just plain sad. I probably would have hit the 25,000 VP level and quit any event with these theee characters because of their sheer unlikability, but thanks to DB I didn’t have to do that.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

156,000 now

I can’t wait for this race to begin! I would love to go toe to toe for a 5/5 Amanda Rogers. I don’t mean that in a mean way. It’s meant in a competitive way. A race for first in an event is by far the most invigorating experience this game has to offer

• Options

156,000 now

I shudder to think of when you decide to spend them. Carpal tunnel syndrome and new jacket with nice long sleeves that tie in the back will be the result :p

The actual quantity has been exaggerated a number of times, unfortunately. I have a decent stash, and that's happened simply because I have been avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome lol! I also don't have oodles of time, so it's unlikely I'll be using them soon in any case.

156,000 now

I can’t wait for this race to begin! I would love to go toe to toe for a 5/5 Amanda Rogers. I don’t mean that in a mean way. It’s meant in a competitive way. A race for first in an event is by far the most invigorating experience this game has to offer

Sometimes I wish! But getting the time to spend my stash is problematic. And the quantity has been exaggerated somewhat.

I think, maybe, when I've had enough of the game and want to quit for a while, I might decide to go out with a bang. Drop a load of dil into packs, honor, and so on, and hide myself in my bedroom with a crate of chocolate and coffea and see if I can't kill myself getting to number 1!
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly and truly dislike all three of them...Jack was insufferably selfish, Lauren was as interesting as a wet shoebox full of moss, and Patrick was just plain sad. I probably would have hit the 25,000 VP level and quit any event with these theee characters because of their sheer unlikability, but thanks to DB I didn’t have to do that.

Yups, tried to give "Statistical Probabilities" another chance one day. Got ulcers fast and turned the TV off quick, lol. So if peeps like them and wish for them that is their individual right, but some hardcore fans of them defo overrate their popularity....
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You vastly overestimate the popularity of the misfits. DB struck a good balance, picking the only one of them that actually saw a story line devoted to her.

The choice of a non-cannon O'Brien as the final 5* is a bit questionable, I'd agree, but going with just Sarina was the right call.

And yet so many people are singing the praises of Mirror Lita who had one episode... the misfits were in at least two that I can remember, and each of those is a lot more memorable to me than Mirror Leeta.

And I’m by no means a fan of the misfits... I just find it hard to fathom why there is another non-canon crew being thrown into the game.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS9 augments and we only got 2/5 of the DS9 augments. Then we got a bunch of non DS9 non augment people like Roga, Species 8472, Borg Seven, and Arik Soong.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    [S14] Bri wrote: »

And yet so many people are singing the praises of Mirror Lita who had one episode... the misfits were in at least two that I can remember, and each of those is a lot more memorable to me than Mirror Leeta.

And I’m by no means a fan of the misfits... I just find it hard to fathom why there is another non-canon crew being thrown into the game.

Leeta, though, was more than memorable enough to merit 2 versions of her.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS9 augments and we only got 2/5 of the DS9 augments. Then we got a bunch of non DS9 non augment people like Roga, Species 8472, Borg Seven, and Arik Soong.

The questions were separate in the poll:

1. Favorite show?
    2. Favorite faction?

I understand how some players could put those together and expect “the Augments from DS9”, but that was not how I myself approached the questions. I voted this way:

1. TNG, based on how much I enjoyed the show.
    2. Augments, based on which faction in the game I wanted to obtain cards and gear for.

For the life of me, I could not recall a single episode of TNG that had a character who was an Augment, and thus I didn’t expect one to be included in the mega. So count me as pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of (and highly entertaining discussions regarding) Roga Danar.
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust