Home The Bridge
Options

All ships are irrelevant except Gold

Problem
So this is something that bothers me for a long time. We have 5 different ship tiers and most tiers hold some exciting cool ships that you want to see in action.

But what exactly are all ships under gold useful for?
Green ships are useful in the Commander Division (but they only yield blue ship rewards)
Purple ships are useful in the Captain Division (but they only yield purple ship rewards).
Blue ships arent used for anything I presume.

So both Divisions only give you more of something you dont really need, correct?

Now, the other big 2 instances where you need ships:
a) Voyages
b) Skirmish Events

Both areas use the "trait" mechanic, meaning you get a cool bonus if you use a ship with said trait. Problem is that even WITH that trait, a maxed out purple ship is always inferior to a maxed out legendary ship without that trait.

I used my Borg Cube for the whole skirmish event, there was absolutely no reason to use the maxed out event ship USS Defiant. Same goes for Voyages, basically.

Solution
Just lower the base values of ALL ships and increase the value of traits.

This way a 4* ship has at least some chance of surpassing a random legendary ship.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's a problem to have useless 1* ships next to 5* ships, just as we have useless 1* crew next to 5* crew. My problem with the ships is I need to scroll through a bunch of useless ships in order to get to the usefull ones. My solution would be: sort the ships like crew: the best on top, taking bonuses into account.

Whilst I see the logic in what you’re saying, the status quo means the iconic series ships don’t get used (Defiant, Voyager, various Enterprises) since they predate the Enterprise/Discovery “make things 5s regardless of power dollar dollar bills y’all” approach.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think traits need to provide a big boost. If traits did that it would be possible to use a 4 star ship in voyages, where we see most action with ships. As it is, when I first started running them I only had the Borg Cube maxed and it went out every single time until the other ships became leveled. I've never had to use a 4 star ship in voyages.

As you say, the Defiant was useless in Skirmishes yet it was touted as something special, I found that weird. Huge trait bonuses would have fixed that and made it a lot more fun.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you say, the Defiant was useless in Skirmishes yet it was touted as something special, I found that weird. Huge trait bonuses would have fixed that and made it a lot more fun.
    I agree, even with a legendary ship with a trait bonus you need it at a high level to be worthwhile using.
    I used the Bounty in the skirmish battles; the "bonus" to the Defiants armour was so low it was not worth bothering with.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Defiant was good on Elite but patently worthless on Epic compared to any 5* ship. And in the context of the event, that made sense - the Reliant was the “special” ship for use on Epic, though it was unavailable to anyone but the most determined spenders.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    I would agree that in the new event type and voyages only the Epic ships matter. Everything else doesn't provide enough of a bonus compared to a fully completed Epic ship
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    A simple solution would be letting us use some of the millions of unused schematics we have lying around for these ships to upgrade them to 2-5 stars. It may be at a ridiculous cost per tier, and they don't have to be near as good as native 5* ships, but it would make schematics and 1*-4* ships useful for something outside of the arena.
  • Options
    Personally, I think it's a lot like crew.

Arena is to cadet challenges as ships are to crew.

Do some of us wish our 2* Promoted Sisko had more use? Sure. Do some of us wish our 4* Defiant had more use? Sure.

Are there trait bonuses to using 2* Promoted Sisko over someone else on a voyage? Sure. Does that make him worth using on a voyage? Not for me.

Are there trait bonuses to using the 4* Defiant over another ship on a voyage? Sure. Does that make it worth using for a voyage? Not for me.

Do I get use out of my 2* Promoted Sisko? Not really.
    Do I get use out of my 4* Defiant? Not really.

But does 2* Promoted Sisko have a use in cadet challenges? Sure. Do I use him instead of someone who is more versatile (in this case, Sito)? No.

But does the 4* Defiant have a use in arena? Sure. Do I use it instead of a ship that is more versatile (in this case, Borg Sphere 878)? No.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we just get it to only show us 5* ships in voyages, please, DB? It's bad enough they're in no particular order.
  • Options
    There's an "Make It So" thread dedicated to the rearrangement of ships in various parts of the game if you want something done about it. I'm in total agreement.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Options
    Neos472Neos472 ✭✭✭
    The Defiant was good on Elite but patently worthless on Epic compared to any 5* ship. And in the context of the event, that made sense - the Reliant was the “special” ship for use on Epic, though it was unavailable to anyone but the most determined spenders.

i did level 1 the Reliant with just one pack after doing the threshold fully but in terms of ships any 5* ship at max could do elite such an example is my level 10 I.S.S. Enterprise was my reliable way of getting through it